ForumsQuestionsDates for parent tasks

Dates for parent tasks
djmavrax

Posted: Apr 16, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Hi,
is there a way for subtasks to set the due on date for parent tasks?
I.e. I have a parent task as a project with subtasks as individual to-do items.
I would like the first todo item to set the due date for the parent task, so that the parent task appears properly when I sort according to due date.

Hope this is clear.
many thanks,
Dimitris.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
This isn't yet possible, but thanks for the suggestion.
garyo

Score: 1 Reference
+1!
j2020

Posted: Apr 19, 2010
Big +1. Right now the only options are:

A) Leave all subtask lists expanded all the time (which largely defeats the purpose of subtasks and makes tons of clutter)
B) Risk missing a due date (which largely defeats the purpose of a to-do list)

This feature would be a HUGE improvement, and is by far my number one request. I love Toodledo and am a paid user, but the inabilty to gracefully manage even simple projects is turning into a deal breaker for me. I hate to say it, but I've started looking for other solutions for this exact reason.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010.
djmavrax

Posted: Jul 09, 2010
Any update with this?
It is a really an important feature for me as I can't identify the importance of parent tasks without looking into the subtasks.

Many thanks for your hard work.
nkhicks

Posted: Sep 07, 2010
Another big +1!

This is a very important feature, and I agree with judson2020 that project management needs to be improved.
Paul

Posted: Feb 27, 2011
I want to give this a bump. I have parent tasks with many subtasks. While some individual sub-tasks have due dates, the parent does not, and does not show up as due soon.

I'd like to have the parent's due date be the earliest due date in the sub-tasks.
Paul

Posted: Feb 28, 2011
Another option would be to not actually have the parent's due date controlled by a sub-task (in case we wanted to have an actual due date for the entire task), but still have the parent task (with hidden subtasks) show up in the "Due Today" or other dated sections as reflected by the earliest sub-task due date.

I use Toodledo to manage my workflow in a photography studio. I have template tasks for each class of customer (senior, sports, etc.). The parent task is the name of the customer, and I have 20 or so sub-tasks for each. I may have 40 or 50 active customers at a time, so having sub-tasks nested or flattened is clearly overwhelming. I'd like see that I need to do something in the "Jones" task today, click to show the subtasks and see exactly what I need to do.

And while I'm on the subject, something else I'd like to see is relative due dates for subtasks. For example, if I know I need to have the "Jones" task completed by a certain date, I'd like to be able to have automatic due dates for all the sub-tasks.

In my template task, I'd like to be able to set the due date for each sub-task to something like "parent task due date -4 days". Or, optionally, "parent task start date + 4 days". This way, when I have a client, I can clone the template, set one date (either start or due), and automatically populate all the sub-tasks with due dates. If the parent task due date changed for any reason, I'd like all the sub-task due dates to re-calculate.

I had this when I was using an online studio management program, and it was very, very useful.
Paul

Posted: Mar 13, 2011
Appigo's ToDo app on the iPhone will show parent tasks as due when a subtask has a due date. This is great for the iPhone, but I'd really like to see on the web, too.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.