ForumsQuestionsHow to View Assigned Tasks

How to View Assigned Tasks
daveway

Posted: Apr 27, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
So the collaboration looks great so far.
But as a manger I want to assign tasks to someone and then have a list of tasks assigned so I check on their completion.

I can see how to assign tasks. And as the receiver I see how to view tasks assigned to me.
But as the Assignor I see how to view tasks I've assigned.

Yes I can go view their shared folder and look at the task, but it doesn't tell me any differentiation of that task.
How do I know or can I view the tasks that me as the Assignor have assigned to others?

Thanks
Dave

Try using the search function, and then you can save a search to use again. Assignor is one of the filters you can use in the search.
daveway

Score: 1 Reference
Yeah that's what I thought it would do.
But if you choose Assignor and choose Myself it just shows you all your tasks, all of them.

You can choose another user if activated, but again that only shows you what THEY have assigned to YOU.

:(
Dave

Posted: Apr 28, 2010
Gotcha, I see that you can't select "assignee" as search criteria. That would make it work.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 28, 2010
You can't view all of the tasks that you have assigned to anyone, in one list. But you can look at all the tasks that you assigned to person A, and then switch to all the tasks assigned to person B. You can do this via the search page, or by switching to Person A's list and going to the sharing view and looking at the tab with your name on it.

Having a combined list of all tasks assigned by you is something that we plan to add in a future update.
daveway

Posted: Apr 29, 2010
So if I understand correctly, you're saying that right now I should be able to go to the Search page and see at least all the tasks I've assigned to one specific person, individually, correct?

I can't yet look at ALL my assigned tasks to everyone in one view, but at least the ones I've assigned to any one person?

How do I do that then?
What criteria would I use for the search?

Thanks
daveway

Ok - I think I figured it out.

-First I need to change the Collaborator in the Search section.
I didn't realize you could change Collaborator in that section, don't know why.

-Second - You need to change the Assignor field for your search to be your "username" not "Myself"
Both options are there and you would think it would be "Myself" but clicking on the dropdown box shows my actual account username, which when selecting this displays what I want.

Thanks
daveway

I would still like to see an easier way to show all assigned tasks. that would be very nice in a team environment.

Also, I don't see a way to save my Assigned task search.
When I select Collaborator the ability to save the Search goes away. Any way to remedy this?

Thanks
daveway

Sorry to keep posting.

I figured that out too I guess.

If the user you're querying creates the SavedSearch in their own profile (ie a saved search for tasks with assignor of your username), then you can view it when you select that Collaborator.

Kind of hokey, but I guess it works.

----

Again - would be great to have a list of tasks you've assigned, ready and available to view.

But I'm good for the moment.

Thanks
jwilliamson

Posted: May 03, 2010
I too am a little baffled by the lack of ability to view what I've assigned. Does that not completely defeat the purpose of having a shared task list?
cj

Posted: Aug 14, 2010
I agree on this ... the feature is "sharing" not "giving" (sharing means we both can use it, in case some adults never learned this as children)

right now I am having a horrific time trying to get this properly, and I echo the frustrations vented on at least a half dozen different threads.

Once I run into one brick wall with the sharing "feature" and try one of the possible work-arounds, there's another limitation that prevents the workaround from working (or being practical).

Can we just start simple? When I want to share with someone, we can both see the task. This concept of flipping back and forth between collaborators is a convoluted, well, joke.

I love toodledo and all the functionality and UI - I am glad the sharing functionality is pretty much relegated to one tab and one "collaborator" link, otherwise it would really bring down the quality of the entire product by several dozen percentage points.

the funny part is, the functionality is not buggy at all - it's merely seems as if no actual users were involved in specifying this feature.

Well, here we are, loudly "specifying" that the feature does not work the way we work.

I just wanted to share my thoughts here, since I can't effectively sharing anything else using toodledo ; )

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010.
Keith K.

Posted: Oct 12, 2010
Since it's been a couple years of people complaining about the fact that the Toodledo "collaboration" is just barely usable and so far I haven't seen any signs that a giant overhaul and fix is coming in the near future has anyone had much success using other task systems among multiple team members?

This is more like being able to go write on my coworkers whiteboard because he leaves his office unlocked vs. an actual collaboration tool.

Some basic features I need are being notified (email, rss, list, etc) whenever a task I'm involved in is completed, assigned to me or changed by someone else.

Actually having our tasks live together within one list instead of this assign it to someone and it's "gone" idea.

The ability for a task to either be assigned to a pool(essentially an unassigned task that someone could grab when they had time) or to multiple people.

Has anyone had very much success with other systems and collaboration?

This message was edited Oct 12, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 12, 2010
We are working on all of your suggestions. I am sorry that it is taking a long time.
tomas_franke

Posted: Oct 15, 2010
Hi, I have just set up my management staff with Toodledo. Great tool. The only problem is that if I delegate a task, and that task virtually disappears from my list, not only that, the receptor can just delete my task and I will never hear about it again...well, that makes this tool useless. You can see how contradictory this is, when you can mark a task status as "delegated" but you will only see this up to when you actually delegate the task. The minute you do, the task is gone. I know you guys are working on this, I just want to point out the difference between a personal task handler (Toodledo today) and what we out there actually need, a task delegation and follow up tool.
walz.jeff

Posted: Oct 26, 2010
Can you give us a date when this will be ready. We were ready to go "full bore" with Toodledo and collaboration, however, without some richer functionality in this issue, we need to find a different tool.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 26, 2010
This is on our to-do list, but it is our policy to not comment on our roadmap or delivery dates for future feature improvements.
johnwd3

Posted: Nov 22, 2010
Posted by tomas_franke:
Hi, I have just set up my management staff with Toodledo. Great tool. The only problem is that if I delegate a task, and that task virtually disappears from my list, not only that, the receptor can just delete my task and I will never hear about it again...well, that makes this tool useless. You can see how contradictory this is, when you can mark a task status as "delegated" but you will only see this up to when you actually delegate the task. The minute you do, the task is gone. I know you guys are working on this, I just want to point out the difference between a personal task handler (Toodledo today) and what we out there actually need, a task delegation and follow up tool.

I have to agree with Franke - while I have been using it as a personal tool I finally realized it might be able to be used across all 4 companies. THEN I realized what a great tool to also use with our Historic Boat Foundation where we have to schedule and track volunteers efforts. FANTASTIC! Then I hit the problem franke pointed out as I am setting it up with my assistant first.

It's a deal killer not being able to even know how to follow up on delegated tasks!
:-( Grump grump grump
I understand your policy to not comment but I can and will comment -- PLEASE hurry! We have several organizations that would benefit and quite a number of folks to train!
johnwd3

Posted: Nov 22, 2010
Posted by tomas_franke:
The only problem is that if I delegate a task, and that task virtually disappears from my list, not only that, the receptor can just delete my task and I will never hear about it again...well, that makes this tool useless.

Workaround suggestion. As you saw in my previous post I agree with you fully. My workaround is to put my associates name in as a Context (DK Action) - then at least both of us can track it. Not elegant, but so far it's the best idea I have come up with to try and make this "play with others".
mn_1303422305

Posted: Apr 24, 2011
Can I add 'assigned to' to the grid view?

- Michel

Posted by Toodledo:
You can't view all of the tasks that you have assigned to anyone, in one list. But you can look at all the tasks that you assigned to person A, and then switch to all the tasks assigned to person B. You can do this via the search page, or by switching to Person A's list and going to the sharing view and looking at the tab with your name on it.

Having a combined list of all tasks assigned by you is something that we plan to add in a future update.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 24, 2011
This is not currently possible. Sorry.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.