ForumsQuestionsFeature Request - Location Aware Reminders

Feature Request - Location Aware Reminders
tbaker

Posted: May 16, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,
I've been trying to come up with a way to get reminders based on my location.

Example - My wife calls and tells me she needs me to stop at the store on the way home. I unwittingly forget even though I added a task to my list and set a reminder for when I thought I'd be by the Highway exit.

Since iPhone 4.0 will include the ability to run background apps that include the ability to poll GPS and update your location on a host system, I was thinking that being able to send a reminder to an iphone when it is "Near" a defined place would be an incredibly powerful feature.

Think of it this way. Next time you need to remember that you need Eggs and milk at the grocery store, you can add a task and in the task bring up a map and drop a pin on it for WHERE you want to receive a reminder for the task. In this example, you'd drop a pin on the grocery store and next time you're there, Toodledo looks at your current location and says "Hey, I've got a reminder for this location".

Some of the technical details would have to be worked out, for example
- how often is too often for polling GPS?
- how "Close" to your pin do you need to be for it to constitute a match?
- What would the UI look like for adding such a reminder
- How would this play in to the Start/Due times listed on a task?

Since I'm not the developer, but am a vocal user interested in efficient UI design, I could see it looking something like this...

You could add an additional Column (Maybe just an icon for the iPhone GPS Circle) that would bring up a fly out window with a Google Map system. You then have the ability to add the pin, and set the options on that page.

Since some people have start/due times/dates set, you could have a separate set of "notify me" times, also providing the option to carry over the Start/Due times.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this could be tremendously useful, or am I just too in love with technology and what becomes possible with it?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. The moment Apple announced background apps, we thought of this scenario. It's on the to-do list :)
Transisto

+1, That make sense, The way it should be.

In the first place I'd want from toodledo a tasks location field.

This message was edited May 16, 2010.
PeterW 

@tbaker - sounds like a really cool idea.

Although I sometimes wonder if we're advancing the forgetfullness of humankind.
tbaker

Posted: May 17, 2010
Peter,
I agree, and I'm sure my wife would agree too. She says I'm the most forgetful person she's ever met. This was before I started using Toodledo to "supplement" my memory, and now I can't live without it.
jmontana

Posted: Sep 07, 2010
Now that Locations are starting to appear in the website, does this mean this feature might be making its way to the iPhone app?

I would be ecstatic if that were true!
Andrew A

Posted by PeterW:
@tbaker - sounds like a really cool idea.

Although I sometimes wonder if we're advancing the forgetfullness of humankind.

Without a doubt. I used to remember every phone number I had to dial throughout the week, and a few I only called monthly... then cell phones came on the scene, and now there are times when I have to pause for a second to recite either my home or cell number.
Salgud

I've noticed the same thing. Funny, because I can remember my oldest son's phone no. because he had that number before we had speed dialing. My two younger son's numbers I've never learned.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.