ForumsQuestionsiCal import issues

iCal import issues
martinisan

Posted: Sep 14, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Apologies if this is a noob question, but I can't seem to figure this out. I imported one of my iCal (2.0.5) calendars into Toodledo, and found so many errors is unusable:
1. Some events show up as uncompleted tasks
2. Most repeating tasks show up as recently completed, even if they aren't
3. Some uncompleted tasks show up as completed
4. 2-year-old, long-ago-completed to-do's show up as uncompleted tasks, due26 years ago
5. Notes have munged up carriage returns (but that seems to be a unicode issue addressed elsewhere in the forums)
I can work with items 4 & 5, but unless I can find out how to fix items 1-3 I'm not sure how I can get Toodledo to work for me. I'm just trying to get a reasonably accurate one-time export of tasks/to-do's from iCal to Toodledo, so I can switch off my Treo 650 & go to iPhone w/Appigo.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thx!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Apparently our iCal importer is not perfect. We will try to make it better, but in the meantime, you might be able to use our "multi-edit" tool in the search section ( http://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php ) to fix up these importing errors and get your to-do list in shape with only a little bit of work.

I hope that works.
martinisan

Thx for the extremely prompt reply. Are these known issues that I can prepare for when I import the remaining iCal calendars? I have several more calendars to import, and I'd like to know what to prepare for. The main issues that I need to work through would be:
- Events showing as uncompleted tasks
- Repeating tasks showing as completed, w/o any further repeats
- Some uncompleted tasks showing up as completed
Is there perhaps a way to fix these by grep'ing the iCal export files before importing into Toodledo?
thx muchly!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We were not aware of any problems until you let us know about them 6 hours ago. When we first made the iCal importer last year, it appeared to be working according to our testing, but we must not have tested every scenario.

Perhaps the program that you are using to make the iCal files is making them in a non standard way, or maybe it is using a format that we don't understand. Its hard to say without seeing the iCal file, or knowing what application you used to make it.

One thing for certain is that Toodledo treats events and tasks as the same thing. An event is just a task with a date, so events will definitely show up as uncompleted tasks by design. The other things you pointed out probably shouldn't be happening.
martinisan

Posted: Sep 15, 2008
Ok, I'll work around the event-task item thx. The other issues will be a bit more challenging.
Fwiw, I used iCal 2.0.5's export command to generate the files, if that helps.
Thx for your prompt replies.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.