ForumsQuestionsFeature request: task count on iPhone to exclude completed tasks

Feature request: task count on iPhone to exclude completed tasks
markjamesdavies

Posted: Jul 28, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Hi there

I have configured my iPhone's "Application Badge" to be "Starred Tasks" but the count number is much larger than I am expecting (as it seems to include completed tasks) and so is misleading and not useful (IMHO).

I do not want my task counts to include completed tasks; I just want to know the count of outstanding tasks.

I found the "Dual List Counts" option in General Settings, but a) this doesn't affect the Application Badge and b) I don't want dual count on application badge anyway (this might have been a workaround solution).

Suggestion: can you provide a mechanism on iPhone app to be able to only show non-completed tasks in all List Counts including the Application Badge?

Many thanks!
Mark
Peter S...

Score: 0 Reference
+1

I have been asking for this for some time now.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
Peter S...

Posted by markjamesdavies:
Hi there

I have configured my iPhone's "Application Badge" to be "Starred Tasks" but the count number is much larger than I am expecting (as it seems to include completed tasks) and so is misleading and not useful (IMHO).

I do not want my task counts to include completed tasks; I just want to know the count of outstanding tasks.

I read too fast the first time through. I don't think the starred badges include completed tasks. They do, however, include hidden tasks (ie, future start, -1, etc.).

Toodledo..... is this correct?
markjamesdavies

Posted: Jul 29, 2010
Hi all

Thanks for the feedback Peter. I have done some tests and found the following:

1. You're right: completed tasks ARE already filtered from the Application Badge's task count. My bad. However...

2. The task count on the Application Badge is misleading (IMHO) as it counts only parent tasks. E.g. If I have a parent task (not starred) with 8 subtasks where 4 subtasks are starred, then the Application Badge will only count one starred task.

I think that the Application Badge "starred count" should count every parent task and subtask as a individual task.

Best regards
Mark
PeterW 

Try setting subtasks as flattened on the iPhone and see if the task count changes.
markjamesdavies

Posted by PeterW:
Try setting subtasks as flattened on the iPhone and see if the task count changes.

Er, I'm not sure how to do that on iPhone app. I've looked at the config settings but can't see how to do it. I've tried "List Dividers" as "On" (although not really sure what this option does) but that makes no difference to the Application Badge's task count....
Peter S...

Er, I'm not sure how to do that on iPhone app. I've looked at the config settings but can't see how to do it. I've tried "List Dividers" as "On" (although not really sure what this option does) but that makes no difference to the Application Badge's task count....

On the iPhone it's called nested or in-line. On any task list, click "Hidden Tasks". There is a setting for subtasks at the bottom.

Nested subtasks are considered hidden, thus flattening them will change the count in the desired direction. But the count will still show other hidden tasks (future, deferred, etc).

The bottom line problem is the badge counts hidden tasks of all kinds when it shouldn't.
markjamesdavies

Aaaah - I see!

Thanks Peter for your help here as I can see what's happening now.

So, when the "Subtasks" Filter setting is "In-line" then the total task count will include all subtasks (as the task list will be flattened).

However, when the "Subtasks" Filter setting is "Nested" then only parent level tasks are counted.

I still would prefer for the Application Badge's task count to always show the total number of starred tasks, including subtasks *irrespective* of what filter I may have happened to have previously used.

Perhaps a new config option could be used to determine how the Application Badge's task count works: a) use the current "Subtasks" Filter setting [as now], b) show only parent task count, or c) show total number of parent and sub-task count

I welcome your thoughts on this Peter.
Peter S...

......I still would prefer for the Application Badge's task count to always show the total number of starred tasks, including subtasks *irrespective* of what filter I may have happened to have previously used.

Perhaps a new config option could be used to determine how the Application Badge's task count works: a) use the current "Subtasks" Filter setting [as now], b) show only parent task count, or c) show total number of parent and sub-task count

The subtasks issue is more difficult that the other hidden tasks like future start date. For the latter, I think it would be the case that most, if not all, users would not want the badge to indicate these hidden tasks. For subtasks, it would be more of a user preference so a setting would be useful.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.