ForumsQuestionsFolder-specific tags

Folder-specific tags
javierplumey

Posted: Aug 19, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I use ToodleDo to enter in TODO's while planning and writing novels. I want to be able to use tags for my tasks within specific folders (e.g. chapter1, plot, cool character A) but I don't want these tags to appear outside of this folder. Is this possible with ToodleDo today?

Thanks for looking!
Salgud

In a word, no. Some of our more experienced users might have suggestions for workarounds.
SRhyse

It'd be helpful to suggesting a workaround if you elaborated a bit on what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Are you trying to create some kind of custom view within each folder? Like with collapsible headers and such based on tags? Do the tags on tasks that you don't want to appear in other folders even exist on tasks outside of specific folders that said tasks are assigned to? Are you trying to just get some tasks not to show up in folder view?

This message was edited Aug 19, 2010.
javierplumey

Thanks for taking a look!

I really just don't want tags like 'chapter 1000' and 'evil plot' to show up in the tag cloud in other folders. I want to be able to use tags like ToodleDo supports them (collapsible headers and such). These are tags what would not exist in other folders.
SRhyse

Being able to chose which tags do and don't appear in that cloud when you're in a specific folder's view is unfortunately something you can't currently do to my knowledge. The quickest way to accurately tag something in your case, if you use too many and varied tags to be able to pick from the cloud of them with any sanity, would be to make it a habit of always typing the tags in manually.

Fortunately, the collapsible header part of tags within each folder's view would be distinct to each folder if the tags were unique to tasks within that folder, so you can already accomplish that without any work.

About how many tags do you imagine you'd have on active tasks at a time? The maximum number that'll appear in the cloud is somewhere between 25 and 50 I think, and they drop off when there aren't any more unchecked tasks with that tag.

Is being able to easily pick a tag from a presented list your main objective here? If you're not using the Context or Goal functions for something else right now, you might consider dividing up the tags you would think of using between them by type, to make for shorter and easier lists to pick from.

Characters, for example, could be done in tags, but you might consider making plot/structure related things contexts or goals. You can make them all on the fly if you need a new one for a task that doesn't currently exist, so you could create them as easily as tags, with the only limit being a task could have only one goal or context applied to them at a time.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2010.
Salgud

I didn't know TD had a tag cloud. How do you display it?
SRhyse

Posted by Salgud:
I didn't know TD had a tag cloud. How do you display it?

It was added within the past year, closer to January I think. If you have tags enabled, when you click on the tag portion of a task to enter it, a cloud of the tags you use shows up to select from. The more often used ones are larger, the less often used ones smaller, etc.

If you're not using tags now, you might have to add a bunch and wait a bit for it to kick in if you wanted to try it out.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 20, 2010
Doh! I've been using tags, and did, of course, did see the tags in the box. Just didn't realize it was called a "tag cloud" because the other tag clouds weren't linear, as is this one. Since they're sized and ordered according to frequency of use, which I did notice, it does qualify as a "cloud". It's just a square cloud. :)

This message was edited Aug 20, 2010.
javierplumey

Posted: Aug 23, 2010
Thanks folks.

I have tags for each chapter and character for which I need to remember a note or go back and fix something. Right now that's about 25, but I'm only half way through my novel.

My goal isn't necessarily to have the tags accessible quickly, or being able to pick them from a list. I just want the organizational and searching features of tags.

I thought about using contexts and goals for the plot elements, but then I would still have the same problem that they would show up all over the place, outside the folder.

In the meantime, I have looked at how I use tags on my other lists. It turns out that I don't use them all that much. I prefer to use Folders and Contexts, so this may not be as big of a deal as I thought.

----- never mind, they showed up in the tag box in a few minutes.

Another thing I discovered is that if I use tags such as "--chapter2" and "--goofy henchmen", these tags that are prefixed with the en dashes do not show up at all on other lists. This trick also works for tags with an exclamation point as well (eg !twists). Of course that means that I have to type them in manually.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to post an enhancement request to provide folder-level tags.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.