ForumsQuestionsTurn off processing special characters in e-mail syntax

Turn off processing special characters in e-mail syntax
Pat

Posted: Jan 07, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I love the ability to e-mail tasks to Toodledo and use it religiously. However, my methods for task naming are regularly require the use of "special" characters like the "-" and ":". As a result my task descriptions are often truncated in Toodledo, due to the special characters being reserved for adding other task data on the subject line via e-mail.

I wonder if a global setting to turn such processing of special characters in email syntax on/off would be valuable to others. I personally e-mail just the task description to Toodledo, and then process my list from the Toodledo interface to add other data. As such, turning of the processing of special characters would be no loss to me, and would allow me to name tasks as I need to in my system.

For example, I do not use subtasks, but rather group tasks on a project by a short prefix in the task description, like so:
ProjA - Call H. Rosen re: response to RFP

The above makes perfect sense when entered as-is directly in Toodledo, but is truncated as "ProjA" when e-mailed. Minor point, but an important one for me. Toodledo truly is the swiss army knife of list management, and a config setting like this would be genuinely helpful if possible/practical to add.

Thanks.
piyush_soni

@ToodleDo,
How about using "escape sequences" like \- when we actually want the '-' character to be in the text instead of adding other task data. I think that'll be easy to implement.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
PeterW 

@Pat - I'd like this too. I also prefer new tasks to land in my inbox and I've had task names truncated frequently.
harrymac1972

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
Found the thread!

Yeah, I love that we can now add status and tags...but the one that screws me up often is '&' for repeating syntax (which I wonder how much is really relatively used for emailing in tasks). It is problematic because I don't think about it at the time and later see it on my list and don't even know what the task was.

Ask Mel & Sheri when they can go on site to see George !! @Agenda #Friday %Mel, Sheri *Work

When I see this task later along with so many others it looks like this:

Ask Mel

Would it be possible to use a different symbol then '&' for repeating as it's used so commonly this way? Or do away with it as email syntax all together?

PS Not trying to be demanding - Toodledo is my life - I put my whole life in it and let the lists guide me, lol.

This message was edited Feb 04, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 04, 2011
We are trying to find a solution for this.
vihendi

Posted: Mar 29, 2011
I also support the solution suggest by piyush_soni or something similar like generally one has to indicate the start of the context, tag, folder section with "|"

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.