ForumsTips & TricksMy Use of Contexts

My Use of Contexts
Torysch

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I have three contexts: Skokie, Teddy, and School.
I am fourteen. My parents are divorced and I spend equal time with each of them- in two different houses. Some tasks can only be done at one house; in that circumstance I label its context as either 'Skokie' or 'Teddy.' But some tasks are generic in one of two ways. Some are generic because they have to do with school AND can be completed at either house; and some are just plain generic (ex. check for service hours email).

[Sorry for the rather poor explaining; I'm not very good at explaining in the first place and it's pretty late for me, so I'm tired.]

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012.
cabbage

Posted: Feb 26, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I'm not sure how you intend to use your "School" folder. Is it for tasks you have to do at school, or for all the tasks relating to your school work?

One thing you could try is to add an "Anywhere" context. Then you can use the filters to show @Anywhere and either @Skokie or @Teddy.

Another idea is to add the words "sko" or "ted" to the end of the task names. That way you can do a search for all the tasks you can do in each location.

My final suggestion is to add duplicate tasks. Have a task that you can do in two contexts? Add it to both. If you forget to check it off on both, you will quickly realise the next time you scan the other context.

Hope that helps!
alexborne

Posted: Feb 28, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
multiple contexts for one tasks have been asked for on this forum a lot. I used tags as context for this purpose.
ChristianDiscer

Posted: Feb 29, 2012
I don't assign a context to tasks that can be done anywhere and/or at anytime (e.g. "No Context"). My assigned contexts are Work, Home, and Church. I normally view my tasks by "context."

If I need to further breakdown tasks within a context then I assign a folder to the task. For example, i'll assign a folder name to a task (e.g. a department name) for the tasks in my work context. Unfortunately folder names are currently global. That is, folder names are visible in all contexts even though it may not make sense for that context. A little hard to explain, just try it.
jorgesalarcon

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Torysch:
I have three contexts: Skokie, Teddy, and School.
I am fourteen. My parents are divorced and I spend equal time with each of them- in two different houses. Some tasks can only be done at one house; in that circumstance I label its context as either 'Skokie' or 'Teddy.' But some tasks are generic in one of two ways. Some are generic because they have to do with school AND can be completed at either house; and some are just plain generic (ex. check for service hours email).

[Sorry for the rather poor explaining; I'm not very good at explaining in the first place and it's pretty late for me, so I'm tired.]

You may wish to relabel your contexts to make life less confusing for you.
Torysch

Posted: Jun 02, 2012
Thanks for the ideas! :)
Christopher Sol

Posted: Jun 29, 2012
I also use tags for these kinds of things. That gives me more flexibility for multiple locations, for instance tasks that can be done from work or home get the GTD-style @work and @home tags. I don't use the context feature at all.
MM1772

Posted: Aug 07, 2012
I use Context a lot, in a way that's similar to Torysch's method (and don't worry, your explanation is fine).

I have things I can do only at work (Work), at home (Home), and so on. I have things I can do on the way to/from work (Commute). If I can do them anywhere, I don't assign a context.

What I haven't figured out is how to make subcontexts without having a huge list of contexts. For example, I have things I need to do as soon as I get home and things I need to do later in the evening. I've tried using priority, but that doesn't always work because sometimes there's something very important I need to do, but I can't do it until after dinner for some reason.

I'm going to give tags a try. Thanks for the idea!
MM1772

Posted: Aug 07, 2012
Oh, and in case you're wondering why I didn't use Time, well, I forgot that was there! I might experiment with that, using a set time like 1:00 pm for "after lunch" or 8:00 pm for "after dinner" and so on.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.