ForumsTips & TricksParent Tasks at Top of List

Parent Tasks at Top of List
Vin Thomas

Posted: May 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I use parent tasks for project containers. I am sure this is the way most pro users are using subtasks. I have been trying to find a nice way to make sure parent tasks float to the top of the list in each respective folder.

I have tried using tags (.project) or status' (reference) to make this happen, but I don't like the way it adds unnecessary dividers to the rest of the list.

I haven't really been using the "Star" field too much since I have started using the "status" field, so I decided I would give all parent tasks a Star. Then I set my lists to filter by "Star" then "Status", then "Auto". This makes all parent tasks float to the top without the dividers and the rest is sorted by status. Works great for me!
Anders

Posted: May 04, 2009
Score: -1 Reference
Thanks. This is a really great tip. I was doing something like this with tags, but ran into problems there. I am using my stars extensively, but I may try to give this a go. What would be better is if there was a sort by task type (parent/sub) so we could still use our stars.
Vin Thomas

Yeah, I would like to sort subtasks in a different way from parent tasks, but this is a nice work around.

Ultimately, it would be nice to be able to float parent tasks to the top as a sorting option.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
lite1

Posted: May 11, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Perhaps as a newbie it does not make sense for me to comment, on the other hand perhaps a naive perspective is worthwhile. Just started my Pro trial today. It seems that Star functions in a unique way and at this point I would not devote it to indicating that something is a Parent Task. My initial approach is to start all Parent Tasks with a "+" and to type them all in caps. When I sort Alphabetically, the Parent/Projects come to top.

I start all Child/subtasks with "-" and use normal capitalization grammar. When I see the item in the calendar and it starts with "-" I know that it is part of a Parent/Project. Have not begun tagging things much yet and hope to keep that for most entry to no tag or very minimal as I hope that the task subject line is written in a telegraphic manner that I not only know what I need to do but what that action step is related to.

I think that I may reserve Star for tasks that I consider to be important; those things that really move me toward my life goals and too often get bypassed for the Urgent and pressing things. While I am still learning GTD I might not adhere to the suggested boundary of calendar due dates that Allen recommends. My tentative plan is to use Due Dates as realistic motivators and tagets for completion that create "benign urgency".
Edward
Linden

Edward, don't worry about being a newbie. We can all learn from shared approaches and viewpoints, even if the approach isn't fully refined yet. You may have a new way of looking at the issue that solves the problem for someone who has been using ToodleDo for a long time.

I'm continuously tweaking my settings, finding methods that work for me. Once in a while, someone's post solves a problem for me and I can implement it.

I'm doing something very similar with the due dates. I find that date-less tasks end up functioning more like "someday" items from GTD when I use ToodleDo. Perhaps getting better at reviewing projects regularly will eliminate the need for this, but it's a useful starting point.
Vin Thomas

I agree that it is a unorthodox way of using stars, but it works well for me. The issue I have with sorting alphabetically is that it will sort my subtasks alphabetically as well instead of by status and importance.

I put together a quick screencast to show how this works in practice if you'd like to see: http://tr.im/kSiH

At the end of the day, there is no ONE WAY to use toodledo. It is best to just find a system that works for you. This helped me visually organize my tasks, and since I am using the status and importance fields, the star was pretty redundant anyway.
GS

Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Status feature request:
Create a status called "Project" so that all parents can be displayed (if we call them "Projects"). Presently I use Delegate for this.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Posted by GS:
Status feature request:
Create a status called "Project" so that all parents can be displayed (if we call them "Projects"). Presently I use Delegate for this.

Oh I like this...I'm all for a new status called Project! Consider me +1!
Anders

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware that you can now sort by parent/subtask. It basically works like Vin's star system, but you don't have to use stars. It is my first or second sort criterion in almost every view.
dgpiche

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
I am a newbie with Pro subscription. Using stars as suggested for Next actions. Problem is when filtering on iPhone with filter set to Nesting, only the tasks show up, not any subtasks. So that if the parent task does NOT have a star, the subtasks don't show up.

I see that this is the same behaviour as on the site, but at least there is a comment at the bottom saying that X tasks are hidden due to filtering.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Anders

Posted: Sep 04, 2009
Well, you have to be aware of your filters. What is nice is that with the Toodledo app, it only takes two taps to flatten/nest subtasks. I used to switch to flattened whenever I was in the Starred view, but now I just star any parent task that has starred subtasks.
carriebirchler

Posted: Sep 12, 2009
Vin-

I just wanted to thank you for that great video tutorial. Because of you I opted to try the 7 day trial and I am certain I will go Pro. I now understand the benefit of subfolders and the folder view. Thank you for taking the time to instruct!

I just downloaded the ap this morning and have been playing around for most of today. I'm excited to get productive!

--Carrie
Vin Thomas

Posted: Sep 13, 2009
Great! I am glad to have inspired another user. With the addition of the task/subtask filter it makes it even better. Now you do need to use the "star hack" to float parent tasks to the top.
Alan

Posted: Sep 14, 2009
Vin - are you a former RTMer? Saw a few posts from you in their forums.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Sep 14, 2009
Yes I am...and haven't looked back since. TD is the way to go!
Diana

Posted: Sep 29, 2009
Can you tell me where to find the video tutorial that you are referring to? I am a visual learner and right now I am a bit overwhelmed by all there is and how to make it work for me.

Thanks for the help,

~Diana
Anders

Posted: Sep 29, 2009
Vin's screencast: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/1989/-9284/read.html
Proximo's screencast: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2660/-14076/read.html
(Look for the highlighted post)
Gordon

Posted: Oct 06, 2009
I am a pro subscriber doing the GTD thing. My system is very simple now. I had a much more Byzantine setup before, and all it did was slow me down.

I use folders for Areas of Concern.

Also a folder called Actions.

The contexts include a context called Projects.

All Projects (multi-step parent tasks) appear in this context, associated with the Area of Concern folder that most makes sense.

All single action subtasks are filed in the appropriate context re GTD and held in the Actions folder.

Action Folder holds actions, contexts sort actions.

Project context holds only parent tasks.

I use no other fields, except repeat where necessary.

I've been using Toodledo from last January.

This method described is only a few days old, but already I can feel the energy flowing back.

Just updated to the latest version for the Iphone. Nice! I immediately locked the rotation though. I hate waiting the second or so for it to finish rotating. I wish I could make it more resistant to rotation. Less sensitive to jogs and such.

This message was edited Oct 06, 2009.
abboudkarim

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
Hi People,
I´d like to know if any of you have a suggestion...It is pretty compfortable for me to use the drag and drop function provided in Outlook to sort tasks. But whe I do the syncing, these orders do not relate to toodledoo todo list. Is actually any way to improve this?

Thanks in advance!
K
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.