ForumsTips & TricksEvernote Integration using Tarpipe.com

Evernote Integration using Tarpipe.com
KeithStone

Posted: May 31, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
Well, in a small way.

I found a service called "Tarpipe" that allows you to create workflows to publish content to multiple websites at once. You can kick off the workflow using a secret email address, similar to how you add tasks by email in Toodledo.

I just created a workflow that does the following:
1. I send an email to the secret email address assigned to the workflow by Tarpipe.
2. Tarpipe creates a note in my default Evernote folder. The subject of my email becomes the Title of the note. The body of the email becomes the body of the note. Any attached image files get attached to the note, and become searchable due to Evernote image recognition.
3. Tarpipe sends an email to my Toodledo secret email address creating a task. The subject of the email is the same as my original email. The body of the email is a hyperlink to the Evernote note.
4. Toodledo receives the email and converts it to a task. The notes field for the task has a link to the note in Evernote.

All I have to do is kick off the workflow with an eMail, and the rest is automated. Not exactly a deep integration; but it's a start. Tarpipe is in beta, and still has a long way to go. But it looks like it could become really powerful.

Here's an image of my Tarpipe workflow:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s9/note/08046f86-50bd-41ff-81d6-3d8657038b4d

If that direct link doesn't work, you can find it in my public notebook on evernote:
http://www.evernote.com/pub/kcumpston/Public/

-Big KC

This message was edited May 31, 2009.
KeithStone

Score: 0 Reference
FYI...the blocked out text in the workflow diagram is just my Toodledo secret email address.

I actually created this evernote using the Tarpipe workflow. I got the direct link to the note from the resulting Toodledo task. I don't know if it will work for everyone, but it works for me.

-Big KC

This message was edited May 31, 2009.
Anders

Really cool. Thanks for the tip. I will have to check this out.
~Anders
KeithStone

Score: 1 Reference
I've been playing around with it a bit more. Image files are the only attachments you can upload to Evernote this way for now, which limits the usefulness. If tarpipe supports other attachment types in the future, this could be really powerful. I've requested it on their user forum.

For the record, it would also help if Toodledo allowed the creation of Notebook entries via email. :-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 01, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
Tyler

Posted: Jun 01, 2009
Wow, this is really cool. I didn't know about Evernote or Tarpipe, but these are very interesting tools I'm going to check out.

Thanks for sharing this....
luke

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
Thanks for posting this. I very much like this integration with Tarpipe, although as you mentioned, there are some limitations to number of "pipe" options they provide for each site.

The only improvement I can throw in at this time is to add a "TinyURL" or "is.gd" pipe into the mix to shorten the Evernote link to something more manageable. This is more of preference than a functionality for me, but it is my two cents worth.

Anyone else have some improvements to make this feature more robust?
KeithStone

Posted: Jun 06, 2009
A word of warning. The workflow I created has stopped working for no apparent reason. First, the notes would make it to EN, but the follow-on email to TD would fail. Now it's not even making it to EN. I didn't change the workflow. Tarpipe support seems rather limited at the moment.

While I still think this is a great concept, I don't think it has matured enough to be part of a trusted system. If they leave Beta and announce a stable product, I'll let you know.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.