ForumsTips & TricksOutlook Sync Client 9.7.1 Available

Outlook Sync Client 9.7.1 Available
keef

Posted: May 17, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I've patched the recent release to fix a couple of issues:
- priorities are now being synchronized
- the automatic synchronization interval wasn't updating when the option value was changed on the GUI.

Cheers

Keith

The client is available from http://www.chromadrake.com
TonyB

Posted: May 19, 2008
Hi Keith, sorry to report a bug but after installing various versions of your tool without problems I've hit a snag with this latest version.

It's an error message from JIT Debugger and it occurs when I try and run the SyncApp.exe file:

"An exception 'System.MissingMethodException' has occurred in SyncApp.exe. Unable to JIT debug."

This means I can't load the tool at all.
kkitchin

Hi TonyB.

Sorry about that. Could you give me some more info?
What was the last working version that you installed?
Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling?
What Operating System and Outlook version do you have?

Cheers

Keith
TonyB

Posted by kkitchin:
Hi TonyB.

Sorry about that. Could you give me some more info?
What was the last working version that you installed?
Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling?
What Operating System and Outlook version do you have?

Cheers

Keith

Keith, the problem has gone away!

I'm not sure what caused it but uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling cleared the fault.

Previously I'd uninstalled after discovering the problem, then reinstalled straight away without a reboot.

For the record I'm on Windows XP Pro and Outlook 2003. The last working version of the sync tool was 0_96.

By the way, when I uninstalled 097.1 for the second time I just thought I'd check to see if there were any remnants of 096 in the system (I hadn't previously uninstalled it as I thought that maybe the newer version overwrote the previous version).

Anyway, 096 was still in evidence so I uninstalled it using Revo at the same time as I uninstalled 097.1.

I then rebooted and reinstalled. Perhaps there was a clash of versions? Do you recommend uninstalling the previous version before updating?

Thanks again for a great tool!
keef

That's a relief! I think the problem might be that you can uninstall the application but it will still be running in the task bar. This could possible cause a version clash.

My recommendation would be to always
a) exit the old version
b) uninstall the old version
c) reinstall the new version.

A reboot shouldn't be necessary, but its always worth a try if things go wobbly :)

Cheers

Keith
Viktor

Posted: May 26, 2008
Hey,

Pretty useful app! Unfortunately it does not work for me. I have set this up, but it fails with the following trace :

SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:synchronizeTasks() performing full synchronization
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performFullSync() method called
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performFullSync() retrieving all toodledo tasks
SyncApp.exe Error: 0 : Error during synchronization There is an error in XML document (205, 26). at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader textReader)
at ToodledoClientLib.EntityFactory.GetTasksFromXml(String xml)
at ToodledoClientLib.ToodledoProxy.getAllTasks()
at SynchLib.SyncTool.performFullSynch(SyncInfo syncinfo)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.synchronizeTasks()
at SyncApp.frmOptions.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Any idea?

Thnaks Viktor
keef

Posted: May 27, 2008
Hi Viktor.
Is this the first time you have installed the application or did you upgrade from a previous version?
How many tasks do you have?
Do any of them have non-alphanumeric characters in the title or body i.e. <,',&,> ?
colinmbuckley

Posted: May 29, 2008
Keith,

I've got your sync tool installed and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks for taking to time to create something like this. It's interesting how outlook sync to probably the most requested feature for online task managers, but none of them seem to want to tackle the task. And then you up and do it no problem.

One question: I noticed that categories in Outlook get synced to folders in Toodledo. Is there a way to pull contexts down as well?

Thanks!

C
keef

Posted: May 30, 2008
Hi colin,

Thanks for the feedback - I have had a few bug reports lately and I was getting worried whether anyone had actually managed to use the client without problems :) Thanks for taking the time to let me know that it is working!

The way I have set the client up is to map folders to categories and to use contexts to filter which tasks participate in the sync process. This roughly follows the GTD process of using folders to store different types of tasks and to use categories to groups sets of folders by the location where they are relevant (home, the office etc). For instance, you can set up the context filter to sync different tasks to your home outlook and you office outlook.

Basically folders = outlook categories. Contexts = which sets of tasks to sync.

I'll have to look into the idea of exposing a task's context inside Outlook. I think that this might be possible using user properties but I don't think it will be trivial. I'll let you know if I work anything out.
lister

Posted: May 31, 2008
Keef,

I keep having outlook pop up a dialog asking me if I should allow access to an application trying to access outlook. is there a way to turn this off??? I found a few apps that I can buy, but I don't wanna do that. It seems your application isn't "outlook verified"
keef

Posted: Jun 01, 2008
Hi lister,

See this link for more info.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/187/0/outlook-client-securty-fix.html

keef
keef

Posted: Jun 02, 2008
I'll be moving any future posts about this client to the new Developers forum. Please post any further questions there.
dfink Post deleted
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 28, 2008
I am deleting the last post since it is a duplicate of a post you made in the other topic. Also I am locking this topic since it has moved.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.