ForumsTips & TricksNew Style - Toodledo Me Too

New Style - Toodledo Me Too
mccotter

Posted: Apr 07, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I first want to give credit to Vin Thomas for figuring out how to get the tabs in a vertical column in his Toodledo Me user style. I decided to take his style and run with it.

There is still a lot of work to do on the style. It doesn't handle the multi-line format properly yet, so for now I can only recommend this style if you use the grid format. I'll work on this soon.

My main goal is to make a style that is clean, minimal, and as usable as possible. I'd like any user feedback I can get. I'm not extremely well versed in CSS so any collaboration is welcome.

Toodledo Me Too

This message was edited Apr 07, 2010.
Vin Thomas

Great addition! I'm glad you find my script a nice starting point!
PeterW 

That's a great style - well done. And I like your colour choices!
mccotter

Thanks for the positive words, folks. Vin, I can change the name of the style if you would like. Don't want to infringe on your "copyright" so to speak. I just thought the name was a bit appropriate since it is kind of a "me too" style, using your script as a starting point. :)
Vin Thomas

Posted: Apr 08, 2010
I could care less. Feel free to do with this what you'd like.
mccotter

Posted: Apr 09, 2010
I just updated the style. Multi-line format should now be usable. Tested in both Firefox and Chrome. Still need to improve the width behavior of task details in the multi-line format, probably won't be hard.
1991mm

Posted: Apr 10, 2010
Excellent work, I really like this style.
Any chance to have a version with lighter background, instead of dark blue?
thanks
mccotter

Posted: Apr 10, 2010
Various color schemes should be easy enough to do. I'll try to put something together soon.

Try this out. I might change the colors up some but at least it's a starting point.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2010.
1991mm

Posted: Apr 11, 2010
Thanks mccotter , That's what I was looking for.
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 12, 2010
@mccotter - just wanted to say again that this is a very cool theme. It makes Toodledo look really good.
mccotter

Posted: Apr 13, 2010
Thanks again Peter.

I updated the style again, this time just cosmetics, no changes to the page layout. If I'm getting too ornate, let me know. Simple is always best in my book, but a little visual interest in the background texture is a good thing IMO, just don't want to overdo it.
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 18, 2010
Hi mccotter. Looks great!

The only thing I would change is the color used for the links (which is also the background color used for Add Task). I'm just not a big fan of olive green, and would prefer a blue/gray color that matched the rest of the theme.

But this is minor and something that I can change myself if you're happy with it this way.

Cheers,
Peter.
Vicki Davis

Posted: Apr 23, 2010
This is AWESOME!! I just love it! Highly recommend this!
sknipfing

Posted: Apr 25, 2010
I just downloaded it tried it out. I like the look, except for one thing. My screen is no longer wide enough to see all the fields I have on the screen.

Not sure what can be done with that.
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 26, 2010
I just hide the menu bar on the left.
sknipfing

Posted: Apr 27, 2010
That helps a bit, but still too wide. I like the look and switched to the mult-row format. The only problem with that is that I add lots of notes, so its an extra mouse click to drill down.
PeterW 

The only other thing I can suggest is to zoom your browser window (Ctrl-). I do that from time to time if I want to see more without scrolling.
sknipfing

That is a great idea. I always forget that I can do that.

Thanks!
Transisto

Just wow @mccotter
That make Toodledo so much easier to use and awesome to look at.

Thank you so much for that !!!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010.
mccotter

Thanks for the new replies.

@PeterW: I kinda like the contrast in the green link color, but might go a bit darker with it for legibility. I tested it with a grayish blue color and it looks good too. If greyish blue links is the common consensus among those who are following this thread, I'll definitely be willing to change it.

If you want to do this on your own, change the color hex value to #7E8891 in these sections:

a:link, a:active, a:visited
a:hover

For a bit more contrast between the links and plain text it's also worthwhile to change the color hex value to #111 in the "viewby" section.

@Scott: That's definitely a drawback of this style. It works better on a widescreen monitor. You can collapse the menu which helps some, and you can adjust the width of your columns in the grid view (or get rid of columns you don't really use).

There are definitely some things I would like to do to conserve real estate on the screen, but I'm limited due to the fact that I'm working with a pre-existing layout. I may be able to do more, but I will have to perform some serious CSS voodoo.

The grid view is always going to be a bit of an issue when it comes to width. The drawback of being able to choose the columns to view, and the width of each column, is that the width of the screen resolution quickly becomes a limiting factor. There's not a ton that can be done there, other that figuring out a way to push the content pane as far to the left as possible when you collapse the menu. I could also reduce the font size in the tabs, which would allow me to shrink the width of the tabs a bit, but it might make the tabs a bit less legible.

Probably the most effective way to address this issue though is to make the multi-line view a bit more user friendly, and make the concession that the grid view will always just require a decently high screen resolution.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.