ForumsTips & TricksWork and personal tasks - How to divide them?

Work and personal tasks - How to divide them?
kentyl

Posted: Jan 17, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I just started using Toodledo. It seems quite nice, so far anyway!

At the moment I am only using it for my work tasks. But I would like to have "it all" under one service if it's possible in a convenient way.

Currently I use Folders to group related tasks together. For instance I have one for "Things to read regarding taxes" and another for "Actions to perform during the company start phase". Those are work tasks.

I can see myself having other groups for private things. Like "Apartment Renovation" and "Finish school".

During my work time I'd like to focus on work stuff. Which makes a mix between work and private tasks a bit of a hassle.

How would you suggest I organize my tasks to encompass both private and work related things I need to get done? How do you do it?

Best regards, Kent
PeterW 

Posted: Jan 17, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
There would be lots of different ways to do this, which is one of the nice things about Toodledo.

I use the Context and Tag fields.

My Contexts are: Work, Home, Phone, Online, Errands
My Tags are: Business, Personal

I use Context to denote a location or resource required to do the task. I use Tag to denote an area of responsibility.

My tags provide the ability to view only business or only personal tasks. Context allows me to see both but restrict the list to what I am actually able to do at the time.
AJS

Posted: Jan 18, 2011
I use contexts, home, work, errands and so on. Incidentally I liked Google Tasks as tasks showed up on the Calendar but if you separated into different contexts only one context at a time showed up. That's what led me to looking for a full blown task manager in the end.
mark

Posted: Jan 20, 2011
I use tags: -family, -house, -finance, -work
I also use tags for things like customer name and colleagues initials so I can easily filter according to what I want to see (if I'm talking to a colleague on the phone it's easy to see if I'm waiting for him to get back to me on something).
The "-" is so my main "focus" tags stay at the top of the tag list.
I use context for the action type (@phone, @email, @errand, etc).

So at weekends I can easily filter my lists to show only actions tagged with -family and -house.

HTH
Mark
JanK

Posted: Jan 24, 2011
And how can I use the "sharing" option with this sort of separation?
I'd like to share all my "work-todos" with my colleagues, but none of my private tasks.
harrymac1972

Posted: Feb 03, 2011
Use Folders to seperate different areas of responsibility in your life (in my opinion everybody should start out with a Work and Personal folder). You can subdivide into other things if need be. Eg: Taxes, Renovation. Folders are sharable so you can share only the Renovation or whatever.

So how about the rest.... Contexts are... Home, Office, Calls, Computer, Errands, Agenda, Ranch, etc...

Tags are nouns...people, places, and things... NEEDED to accomplish the task.

Example: Pick up nails for Kevin .... becomes Folder: Work ; Tag: Home Depot ; Context: Errands

Or by email syntax:

Pick up nails for Kevin *Work %Home Depot @Errands

eg #2):

Ask Sheri when Chris needs the Quad *Personal #Friday @Agenda %Sheri

It works very well for me :)

This message was edited Feb 03, 2011.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
I use Location as the separator between things.
That means if a task has a Location:Work and Context:Reading then it is a different task than Location:Home and Context:Reading.

I know that we should group context related tasks like all phone calls together but I also like to separate between work and home things.
harrymac1972

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I'm a big believer in knowing there's more than one way to do things.

However, my understanding is that Folders (ie: *Work) are sharable, not Locations, Tags, or Statuses.

A 'Work' folder shared can show all @Errands, @Reading, @Calls, etc, to do with work only.

For you, your @Reading pile is all in one place, but your team only can see the @Reading tasks in the 'Work' folder.

This is a powerful tool for teams...as each persons work tasks alone can be completed by each other (eg: Get 2011 Tax Schedule *Work @Calls %IRS) but the tasks to do with kids daycare, etc... stays personal and out of view.

tl;dr ---> Folders are what can be shared.
mfcmfc

Posted: Mar 13, 2011
My work list grew to be too large over the years, so I split it out into a separate Toodledo account.

A related feature request I posted:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/9551/0/feature-request-site-wide-context-filter.html
Jason Guille

Posted: Mar 20, 2011
hi all. i'm new to TD.. and keen to set it up nicely the first time through. i can see there's no 'right way' to do so, but i'm very open to your coaching.

as a project manager & event producer, i have a number of quite different projects on the go at any one point in time. do i read correctly that most of you would use FOLDERS to separate these various types of work? and then perhaps CONTEXT as location, TAGS as business/personal, and perhaps individual people that are involved in those projects?

welcome your thoughts, and thanks :)

jason
balloonstoryteller

Posted: Sep 10, 2011
This has been really helpful! Harrymac1972, especially the description of how you set up TD with regard to which organizer to use with what. I want to share some things with my assistant, and wanted to know how to share just work stuff with him. It helps so much to have an overall plan in place before I take the time to set everything up. Saves so much time! Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.