ForumsTips & TricksQUICKSILVER SOLUTION - now with full steps to completion

QUICKSILVER SOLUTION - now with full steps to completion
mgmead

Posted: Jan 17, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I posted something before with a link showing the basic piece of how to do this, but it was voted down -- presumably because people couldn't make it work. So here are all the steps to making Quicksilver (QS) work -- if you have more trouble, please don't just "veto" this post (there are plenty of people who just want the info and can debug it themselves) -- please contact me directly and I'll try to help.

SETTING UP QUICKSILVER
1 - First, in order for QS to see your scripts, you have to go into the QS catalog by invoking QS, and then hitting CMD + ;

2 - In the Catalog, on the left hand side, select "Scripts" and make sure that the checkbox next to "Scripts (All Users)" is selected. If not, select it and restart Quicksilver.

3 - In Finder, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver and make sure there is a folder named "Actions" there (not a file named Actions.plist, that should be there too, but you need a folder). If there is no folder, just create one with the capitalized A ("Actions")

SETTING UP SUPERTWEET
1 - You must have an account with TWITTER for this to work -- if you do not, go create an account. For the sake of this example, we'll call my fake username and password "tweetuser" and "tweetpass"

2 - Once you twitter account is set up, you can manually send yourself toodledo updates by sending tweets that start with "d toodledo" ... for example, "d toodledo this is a test" will create a toodledo named "this is a test"

3 - Go to www.supertweet.net (DOT NET), and follow the instructions to set up a supertweet account. This account uses your twitter login and password (e.g. tweetuser and tweetpass) ... it's not a security hole -- it's a way of allowing YOUR stuff to talk into the oAuth twitter cloud without having to apply to twitter for the privilege

SETTING UP KEYCHAIN
1 - Since you have Quicksilver, invoke "Keychain Access"

2 - At the bottom of the screen, hit the little "plus sign" to create a new entry

3 - Fill out as follows:
Keychain Item Name: SuperTweet
Account Name: your twitter/Supertweet username (e.g. tweetuser)
Password: your twitter/Supertweet password (e.g. tweetpass)

4 - IMPORTANT: Once you've created your entry - go to the list of items, and find it (it's named SuperTweet), double click it to open it.

5 - Click on Access Control and select "Allow all applications to access this item" and select "Save Changes". When challenged, put in your main password for the Mac -- this is just doing the same thing as when you install software, you're not sending your main password anywhere, you're just authorizing a change to your keychain.

SETTING UP THE SCRIPT
1 - I got the guts of this script here, but I've since modified it to work with toodledo.

2 - Open Script Editor and paste the following into it:

# This script uses supertweet.net to get around oAuth limits in twitter
# This script then adds "d toodledo" to the front of the tweet to send it to toodledo.com

using terms from application "Quicksilver"
on process text tweet
tell application "Keychain Scripting"
set twitter_key to first generic key of current keychain whose name is "SuperTweet"
set twitter_login to quoted form of (account of twitter_key & ":" & password of twitter_key)
end tell
set twodo to "d toodledo " & tweet
set twitter_status to quoted form of ("source=qucs&lat=21.510625&long=-157.969311&status=" & twodo)
set results to do shell script "curl --user " & twitter_login & " --data-binary " & twitter_status & " http://api.supertweet.net/statuses/update.json"
-- display dialog results
return nothing
end process text
end using terms from

# this is the end of the script

3 - save the script in ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions and name it toodledo.scpt

4 - Restart Quicksilver

TESTING THE INSTALLATION

If everything worked, you should be able to:

1 - invoke QS

2 - enter text mode (hit the period key "." and start typing)

3 - tab to the action field

4 - select "toodledo"

5 - hit enter

Then, after a network pause of up to a minute (gotta send the message to twitter then to toodledo), your text should appear as a new toodledo without context or folder. From there, you can read up here for more special codes you can send in your text to control toodledo more directly.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
If "nothing happens"
1 - go to twitter directly and send something to "d toodledo" to confirm your twitter is set up correctly

2 - check that you have a keychain entry for SuperTweet

3 - make sure you're giving toodledo enough time to show the results, it takes a minute to post

4 - contact me

Hope that helps ... did my best to get all the details into this post

This message was edited Jan 17, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted: Jan 17, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I guess your other post didn't mention Toodledo so it looked a bit like other spam posts.
Alastair Findlay

Posted: Jan 19, 2011
As Peter says, you didn't mention Toodledo before. Also, it was your first post so people can be forgiven for thinking it's spam.
Vidya Ananthanarayanan

Posted: Mar 21, 2011
So I tried everything you did, DM from Twitter works, no problem, the script is in the Actions folder in the library, there's a Keychain entry for SuperTweet, and I see toodledo listed as an option in QS. But, nothing happens when I try to add a task via QS and Twitter.

I am running SnowLeopard and QS (beta 54). Any thoughts on what I might be missing?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.