ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatOn Toodledo's UI and something I found . . .

On Toodledo's UI and something I found . . .
jeremiah.moss

Posted: May 07, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
Well, I was looking around and stumbled across something called "GoalsOnTrack" (GOT from here on).

It's very different. It's very slick looking. And I dare say, it is is some ways better than Toodledo. I'm tempted to switch eventually.

So, here are some things I think Toodledo *could* do a bit better, after seeing this different UI:

-The "everything is on a grid" layout seems to be too generic. GOT has several tabs, with each tab having something specific in mind (dashboard, goals, tasks, calendar, habits, etc), and the UI for each tab is tailored for that tab's particular tasks. It has bar graphs indicating progress, charts for tracking progress over time, and various other widgets throughout the UI.

-The goals should become more prominent. Right now, the goals, along with the "visual chains" are tucked away. You actually have to edit the goals to see the chains.

--I think there's a lot more that could be done with goal/habit tracking. It's a bit bare bones at the moment. There's some form of "habit tracking" via the chain, but GOT's system appears to allow you to have a lot more control.

-I would like some better indication of progress. Toodledo doesn't really track progress other than the binary "is it done?" method. I would like to see as well:

--Percentage finished (perhaps with subtasks contributing to the percentage).

--Current value out of some max value (How many dollars am I away from a financial goal?).

--Time based progress tracking (How many days until I finish?). Right now, there's a timer, but that's just a basic recording of how much time I've spent so far.

I don't have a lot of time to write much more, but maybe they can get a few ideas from it?
Salgud

Posted: May 07, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
Sounds more like resource time/effort tracking software than a task manager, definitely overkill for me. If I were going to all that trouble, might as well take the leap and use project scheduling software, like M$ Project.
jeremiah.moss

Posted: May 27, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
"If I were going to all that trouble, might as well take the leap and use project scheduling software, like M$ Project."

Microsoft Project works great for businesses, which is what it's designed for. Not so much personal stuff.

Microsoft project also costs $1000. You can use GOT or Toodledo for 14 years for that much. And you won't even get an iPhone app, which both Toodledo and GOT offer.

And this was meant to be mostly a suggestion for Toodledo's UI. Toodledo has improved a lot with its most recent overhaul, but I think it can still improve :).
Philip Espinosa

Posted: Aug 04, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the info on GOT. Checked it out. No iPad app. Too bad. Reviews not strong. Some features would be good I'd incorporated into TD. Not tempted to switch.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.