ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatUpdates to ToodleDo for users

Updates to ToodleDo for users
kenckar

Posted: Feb 21, 2020
Score: 0 Reference
I see that Anant has suddenly become active again in the forums. I hope this is a good sign.

Of course, some of the forums where we used to post are now locked for users, i.e. admin only.

My subscription expires near the end of the year, and I had started to look for new alternatives. I will put that search on hold for now pending the end-March planned ios update.

Hopefully,
Tony
pawelkaleta

Posted: Feb 21, 2020
Score: 1 Reference
I've seen that before several times already. Multiple weeks without any response from TD team, then suddenly several responses from Anant but then again the same - he disappears. I wouldn't hope for anything only after his several posts. And this locking the threads with important discussions... that so... hmm... not good :)
Ellembee

Posted: Feb 25, 2020
If he's really serious about making improvements, he should have prioritized communication. I'm already learning a new system and I don't have time or inclination to come back and learn about the new features. I've found that ToDoist has many of the same features and is an easy transition.
Laurence_1573215849

Posted: May 03, 2020
I think they are trying to hire a Communications / Support person to handle these forums.
jzamoras

Posted: May 03, 2020
Posted by Ellembee:
If he's really serious about making improvements, he should have prioritized communication. I'm already learning a new system and I don't have time or inclination to come back and learn about the new features. I've found that ToDoist has many of the same features and is an easy transition.

how did you import tasks?

This message was edited May 03, 2020.
erhenius

Posted: Jun 24, 2020
I pulled the trigger for migrating. I switched to ClickUp a few weeks ago. The free environment is already quite sufficient. I really do miss the interface, how compact and straightforward Toodledo is. But Clickup just this week rolled out some features that I missed. Also what I thought I would miss was the habit tracking but when I left Toodledo I found out that habits are tracked better with my phone and watch.
Migration was a bit of a pain but luckily not unreasonable.
The one thing that truly shocked me is the activity of the company. Updates roll out on a weekly basis, there is voting for new functionality and a clear road map. It pains me though to go through this migration phase, Toodledo was where I started and got used to. It has an interesting balance between simplicity and functionality. But it is pretty clear to me that it is lagging behind and that I can not trust it to be future proof.
jzamoras

Posted: Jun 24, 2020
Posted by erhenius:
I pulled the trigger for migrating. I switched to ClickUp a few weeks ago. The free environment is already quite sufficient. I really do miss the interface, how compact and straightforward Toodledo is. But Clickup just this week rolled out some features that I missed. Also what I thought I would miss was the habit tracking but when I left Toodledo I found out that habits are tracked better with my phone and watch.
Migration was a bit of a pain but luckily not unreasonable.
The one thing that truly shocked me is the activity of the company. Updates roll out on a weekly basis, there is voting for new functionality and a clear road map. It pains me though to go through this migration phase, Toodledo was where I started and got used to. It has an interesting balance between simplicity and functionality. But it is pretty clear to me that it is lagging behind and that I can not trust it to be future proof.

clickup is nice but it's a overkill to me, is there a way to simplify the UI? thx!
erhenius

Posted: Jun 28, 2020
Yea kind of depends what you exactly want but the platform is very customizable. Indeed this has its pros and cons. I dont think you can get it as compact as Toodledo, however there some good reasons for that. I would advice you to spend at least 2-3 hours to watch some tutorial videos.
One thing should be noted though. If you need a simple app to list tasks then Clickup up is like bringing a nuke to a knife fight. But if you want to have a task manager that which slowly becomes ubiquitous over all platforms and apps, well it does that really well, especially with its chrome extension and extremely wide selection of integration options (such as creating tasks or whatever out of an email in your gmail).
Same goes for the task view, the columns are fully customizable with functionality that you yourself can add to it. Same even goes for task status. You can decide that a task is Done or not, but you can also add other states like "in progress" or "waiting on" or anything you need. The strength of clickup is that you can view you tasks from a myriad of perspectives, Calendar, type, prio, list, gantt, etc. Luckily these are not general settings and each Space/folder/list can be customized individually. For example I made a bunch of labels to identify what kind of a task something is, but that doesn't matter if I put that task into the "Next Actions" list so I dont display that information instead I display things like time spent. There is a bunch of overlap between all task managers, custom views isn't strange for Toodledo, but Clickup does it better in some ways and not so in other.
The thing is that the Toodledo is an awesome task manager on default. Clickup in its attempt to cater to everyone's needs needs to be heavily customized by the individual, which is not a bad thing. I occasionally stumble across very useful things while trying to make the platform fit.
I might be able to give you directions on how-to if you can tell me what it is that you exactly want.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2020.
oletros

Posted: Jun 29, 2020
Posted by kenckar:
I see that Anant has suddenly become active again in the forums. I hope this is a good sign.

Of course, some of the forums where we used to post are now locked for users, i.e. admin only.

My subscription expires near the end of the year, and I had started to look for new alternatives. I will put that search on hold for now pending the end-March planned ios update.

Hopefully,
Tony

No, it is his usual behaviour, write one or two posts answering the laudatory comments and then disappear
kenckar

Posted: Jun 30, 2020
The ios betas are coming out. Slowly, but the app is showing improvement. Frankly, my bar is low. If he gets it back to where it was two years ago and working with future ios versions, I'm pretty good. Not sure if it will be worth the price though. My subscription expires in the fall. I'll be watching to see if it is worth it. The two apps I have looked at that are in the running for me are zenkit and tick tick.
marcemobile_3

Posted: Nov 20, 2020
I love Toodledo. Clickup is quite good but currently testing TickTick to see if it is quite sufficient. I like it's app. Losing Toodledo app and there not being many changes has made the decision for me to migrate but I'll see what TickTick can do.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2020.
frenil75

Posted: Nov 22, 2020
marcemobile_3 - did tickticks import from toodledo backup work smooth?
marcemobile_3

Posted: Nov 22, 2020
I'm checking right now Frenil75. Alll folders from Toodledo went across to TickTick in CSV format but I'm noticing something odd about repeated items. And before I start recommending TickTick I'm finding that the folders have been transferred as lists and not exactly in the same order as in Toodledo. Fortunately my folders were numbered. As well as in some cases the folder contents have been split in two with the same headings. One referring to live tasks, the other referring to completed tasks. I will update further tomorrow.

Later this evening I discovered after spending quite a bit of time moving the completed tasks to where the related active tasks and placing them in a joint folder. A slow procedure. The following are my findings:
- Can view activities for each task which are all date stamped.
- Can also add comments which are automatically date stamped.
- In description you can add features to text ie Bold, italics, highlight, set as Headings.
- Searches looks in both Live and Completed tasks but not Tasks sent to Archive (with Toodledo you can already search in Completed tasks).
- Easier to print Tasks content.
- However there is only 2 options for Status. Uncompleted and Completed. However there is the use of Tags. Whereby I suppose you can use to include such items as WorkInProgress, Waiting etc. But please note to search for items with a specific Tag you need to select the Tag name. Which is really quite simplified version. However you have what are called SmartLists which are similar to Toodledo Searches which has listed your Tags which then has all the related Tasks for each Tag.

With TickTick if you purchase the full year subscription you have I believe 14 days to change your mind and request a refund. I really like Toodledo's more extensive search options and Start and End dates operate differently in TickTick. They act as duration. I'm in two minds how to use this. I like the Pomo feature inbuilt. And already I've had a support question answered. It so happens they replied on the first day. My second question is a little more complex so I'll see if they get back to me regarding that one.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2020.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.