ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsOutlook Sync - data model?

Outlook Sync - data model?
DSM_2

Posted: Apr 12, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'd still be interested in knowing what the data model is that Outlook Sync is using. That is, exactly what is mapped to what between Toodledo and Outlook by the sync routine?

A simple thing like mapping Contexts to Folders could make for a profoundly different experience in Outlook especially if you're using another Outlook add-in (Jello Dashboard) that expects Categories to be used as Contexts.

Can you provide some details?
keef

Posted: Apr 12, 2009
What exactly do you mean by data model?

Do you mean the field mapping between Outlook and Toodledo? That would be pretty time consuming for me to post, so perhaps you'd like to ask a specific question about it?

It has been pretty well established that the sync application maps Outlook categories to Toodledo folders, not to Contexts. I am planning to change this at some stage in the future, but it won't happen overnight.

keef
DSM_2

Posted: Apr 13, 2009
Ah, you hit my question (contexts vs. folders).

By data model, I am mostly meaning the mapping between Toodledo and Outlook, but I'm also meaning the mapping that *you* are using for basic GTD concepts and what implements them (as you see it) in Outlook and Toodledo. It would be good to have something about this on your website so that potential users are not surprised by side-effects from the mapping you use. For instance, in my case of using Taglocity in Outlook I think would cause a huge creation of folders in Toodledo if I used your sync app.

By the way, what do you do with an Outlook task that has multiple categories attached to it? Duplicate the task multiple times in Toodledo so you can put it into each folder that is a mapping of the category? What do (or will) you do with Toodledo Tags?
David Parker

Posted: Apr 16, 2009
I'd be curious about these mapping queestions between outlook and toodledo as well regarding multiple categories.
David Parker

I'm also interested in understanding how the contexts are mapped to Outlook - haven't been able to figure out where these go to in Outlook and how to make use of them.

Thanks,
David
keef

Score: 1 Reference
Contexts are not currently mapped to Toodledo. The sync application maps Outlook categories to Toodledo folders. If there is an exact string match between an Outlook category and a Toodledo folder then the application will add a new Outlook task with that category to the matching folder. When an Outlook task has more than category it will be assigned to the first folder that matches.

However, there is a user defined task property that you can add to your Tasks view to allow you to see/set the Toodledo context from Outlook. This is explained on the information page for the software

keef
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.