ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsGot To Do for Android v1.0 now available

Got To Do for Android v1.0 now available
andy

Posted: Mar 11, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
I have just released Got To Do (£2) and Got To Do Lite (free but with no subtask support) onto the Android Market.

This was being developed under the name 'GetItDone' whilst in beta, but has been renamed for its launch.

Got To Do is an application for managing tasks and things to do, based on the "Getting Things Done" (GTD) Workflow. Got To Do supports all versions of Android from 1.5 onwards.

* Full synchronisation with ToodleDo online task management website
* Support for subtasks
* Task grouping by folder/context/tag
* Task repeating
* Task reminders and notifications
* Task templates for quick addition of new items
* Configurable widget for the desktop
* Filtering by context and folder
* Customisable sort order per list
* Customisable summary screen
* Search function
* English, French, Spanish, German translations
Michael

Posted: Mar 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
It is great...
Qrystal

Posted: Mar 15, 2010
Trying it out now... first impression is pretty good. Really good, actually.

However, very soon into my trial, I pretty sure this is not the app for me, because I don't use the Status field. Thus, I have things cluttering up the main view that are not only useless to me (like Next Action and Waiting For), but they distract me (like an Inbox with 127 items! I'm a big fan of Inbox Zero, so this hurts to see! It took me a few moments to realize that this is for tasks with no Status.) The reason I don't use this field is because I implement my Next Action list in my notes field, or sometimes in the task description if I really want to remind myself that I only have to do the next thing in order to move a project forward. I turned on this field for testing, in case it was implemented in such a way that only the NEXT Next Action was visible, but since that's not the case, I still don't have a reason to use the Status field.

See, my approach to Toodledo is to keep things very, very simple, so I don't get overwhelmed when I enter tasks in. I have as many fields turned off as I can, namely Status as mentioned above, but also Goals and Priority and Length.

It looks like this app does hide the Goals field for me... oh, but wait, maybe this field just isn't implemented at all. I just tested it by turning it on in my Account Settings, and then doing a Manual Sync to see if new info was available in the task detail view... and there isn't. A slight omission, perhaps? (The Length field isn't listed either, but I didn't check whether that would appear if I turned that field on in Account Settings.)

Priority is implemented in a way that is really neat, even though I don't use this field. The tasks are coloured on the left edge with presumably more intense colours as priority increases. Is it enough for me to start using it? Not likely. Plus I'm not sure I like the fact that the field is visible in the task detail view despite my wish to not use it.

I'm glad to see that by "not supporting" subtasks, the tasks are still in place as regular tasks. I was a little worried that they would just not show up or something! :) At least I was prepared for this to not have full functionality... I was not prepared to see ads, because you didn't mention it in any of the descriptions of the Lite version, and so I was particularly disappointed that they are there. I understand that they help make development worth your while, but it's nice to mention it so people know that they'll have to deal with ads unless they upgrade.

All that said, the app seems like a very good one. It looks good (love the dark colour scheme and tidy little graphics to indicate things like repeating tasks and whether something is a subtask or has a note), it works smoothly and its interface is really intuitive. If only it was a little more customizable in what features are active, hiding the parts that are not, I would seriously consider using this app. The full version, though, because I wouldn't want ads distracting me from things I Got To Do. ;)

This message was edited Mar 15, 2010.
andy

Posted: Mar 15, 2010
Thanks very much for your detailed review, this app is version 1.0 in what I hope will be a long sequence! So I am continually looking for input to shape future versions.

- Status Field, this was a deliberate choice and I can understand that this will not fit with everyone's workflow, but there are a few features to support the use of status. Firstly, you can configure the summary screen to hide any of the summary lines you don't make use of i.e. Next Action, Waiting On - just press the 'menu' button when on the summary screen and select 'configure summary'. Secondly, you can use the task template feature to setup the 'default' new task so that status is always set 'active' whenever you create a new task - or configure a set of templates with differing status values and access them by long clicking on the task add ('+') button.
I have an item on my future features list to allow long click setting of status on each task in the inbox list.
But of course, all these features will only help you if you enter most of your tasks on the phone and not the web :)

- Goals, these are not currently supported - they are on my list of futures, but in the 3 months of beta nobody even mentioned their omission, so I have to admit at this point they are quite low down the list.

- It is a nice suggestion to allow the configuration of the fields that you use in the edit screen i.e. hide status, priority etc. - I will add this suggestion to my future features.

- Adverts, I understand that some people feel let down when they realise that there are ads in a version that is free, but honestly I had to remove the line from my app description because with only 325 characters allowed by Google, I had to use all of those to let people know the features that are in my app.

I hope that you will watch this app grow and give it another go in later versions! You can follow the app features on this group where the following document will be kept up to date with each release.
Qrystal

Posted: Mar 16, 2010
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I don't know how I missed the idea that 'Configure Summary' would remove what items are shown on the screen that is clearly labelled 'To Do Summary'. Oops!

Amazingly, that small difference in perspective means a lot, and I might end up using this app after all. And I totally understand about the ads; just didn't know about the 325 character limit. I will be happy to put up with the ads while I'm testing this out to see if it fits in my workflow. :)

If you do end up giving an option to remove unused fields from the edit screen, I'll be extremely pleased. Then, perhaps, when you eventually add Goal functionality (even if the reason is just to make the connection with Toodledo more complete), those who don't use it can remove it. I'm planning on putting Goals back into my system eventually, but not for awhile. It's one of those good ideas, "if only I had the time..." ;)

Anyways, very well done, as I tried to emphasize above despite my dislikes listed. I'd like to make sure other readers of this post realize how in awe I am of how well you've done this! :)

EDIT: The widget!!! I didn't even test out the widget until a moment ago! BEAUTY! And nice options to customize it! (Will there eventually be an option to change its colour to black in addition to the existing white? and perhaps some additional size options?)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Mar 16, 2010
I installed this on my wife's HTC Hero and was very impressed. I am looking to pick up a Nexus One when they come to Verizon in the next couple months.

Thanks for your work on this! Much needed!
Julian Beach

Posted: Mar 17, 2010
I have just installed it, having seen this topic in my regular and usually hopeless search for a good Android Toodledo app. Great work - it is already paid for and I look forward to using it.

At last I have easy access to my Toodledo tasks without my PC turned on or a current data connection on my phone for Toodledo slim.
Transisto

Posted: Mar 17, 2010
Now THAT make me want to get an Android ... Keep the good work
max

Posted: Mar 18, 2010
Andy, your app is wonderful.

I tried many GTD web/app combinations and I have to admit that Toodledo/Got To Do is the most promising combination to my eyes so far. Its very intuitive, responsive and neat.

I just started using Got To Do Lite a few days ago. I was very pleased with the sync efficiency until yesterday when I got this error message when trying to synchronize :

"Syncronisation failed: Invalid ID Number"

This message popup right after the "Synchronizing tasks" messages appears. What is an ID number? How can I get this number? Is that the Unique ID from Toodledo ?

The day I'll be able to fix this issue, I'll move on to the Full version for sure because this app is awesome.

+1 vote for the Goals implementation

Thanks!

UPDATE: I just went to this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/got-to-do-for-android/browse_thread/thread/401daa872814c945#

I will try this tonight.

UPDATE2: Reinstalled + Synced again = Everything is working fine!

This message was edited Mar 18, 2010.
Rich

Man! Right when I was halfway into working on a sync plugin for Astrid...
andy

@Max - glad you like it, the invalid id issue has been raised by one other person as you saw from the thread on the group that you linked. There must be a very small bug somewhere in the sync. It would help if you could give me some information about you actions. Do you edit tasks on both the web and the app, or just one or the other? Do you have a pro TD account? Do you use subtasks? Do you use folders? Do you use contexts? Did you delete a task/context/folder just before the issue occurred? Maybe we could move this discussion to the group and link it from here to allow other app users to contribute - hopefully we can work this one out!
max

Posted: Mar 19, 2010
Maybe we could move this discussion to the group and link it from here to allow other app users to contribute - hopefully we can work this one out!

Sure! I am already following the group's activity. So I'll answer your questions over there.

By the way, I just moved to the full version of Got To Do yesterday. For 3$, it is really worth it!
kenbeyond

Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Finally,it's here.

Love it.

Thank you.

I bought the full version,too
benny

Posted: Mar 23, 2010
Love it, love it, love it. I've been beta testing this for a while and Andy is doing a great job with this - both listening to feedback and in implementation. I trust this app with respect to syncing and that's not a small thing as I have to be convinced that I can completely trust something that does two-way sync. I like the look and feel and it just flat out works for me - the templates are just great, too. Now I can enter a task very quickly by just entering the summary and using one of several templates and it's already in my workflow rather than having to change 4-5 fields or review them later to make sure I don't miss something.

Great stuff, man...

benster
andy

Posted: Mar 31, 2010
v1.1 Now on the market!

See here for the list of changes and bug fixes.

Hope you like them

Andy
Qrystal

Posted: Apr 09, 2010
As soon as I realized Got To Do had become an important part of my workflow, I bought it.

My first Android Market purchase! Now... I'm probably doomed! ;)
Dan Poirier

Posted: Apr 09, 2010
Any plans for OpenID support?
aut119

Posted: Apr 14, 2010
andy,
I have been using this app and am pretty impressed, great work! there is one thing not working, though: I get no alerts at all. What do you think can cause this? do i have to change something? I have APNandroid and quick settings and i do not allow any traffic other than wifi. could this be the problem? I changed the settings so that nothing would be blocked, still no luck. any ideas how to fix this?
donericoson

Posted by Rich:
Man! Right when I was halfway into working on a sync plugin for Astrid...

Here is my dilemma: I do my goal and task planning on the desktop but "DO" mostly on my Droid, also, since I use different computers in different places, having the tasks in the "cloud" is very important.
As far as I am concerned Toodledo is by far the best "cloud" task manager and I am a paid member. However, because I mostly "DO" on my Droid, the android implementation is right now the most important for me. I need good integration, presentation and synchronization. Right now this is provided by the Pure Calendar widget which integrates with Astrid. However Astrid does not sync with toodledo but does with RTM. For this reason, for the time being, I have abandoned toodledoo in favor of RTM. If Got To Do could integrate with Pure Calendar the way Astrid does, then I would have the perfect solution: Toodledo-Got To Do-Pure Calendar. Any thoughts or alternatives?
andy

Posted by aut119:
andy,
I have been using this app and am pretty impressed, great work! there is one thing not working, though: I get no alerts at all. What do you think can cause this? do i have to change something? I have APNandroid and quick settings and i do not allow any traffic other than wifi. could this be the problem? I changed the settings so that nothing would be blocked, still no luck. any ideas how to fix this?

I am afraid I broke these in v1.1.1, but good news I just fixed them in v1.1.3 :) Sorry!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.