ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Peter Scott"
Peter Scott

Posted Oct 18, 2013 in: Sub-subtasks
Score: 1
I know, I and others have only been bringing this up for the last five years, but oh Lord, how I need it. Not a day goes by when I don't keenly feel the absence of multilevel tasks now. Yes, I know it's difficult, but it's also really, really useful and important

Would a donation fund help? An extra service level past Gold for people to pay more into and get sub-subtasks before everyone else? I'd consider a serious contribution here if others would pitch in, if it would get this train moving.
Peter Scott

Posted Oct 14, 2013 in: Request: Clickable URLs in task title
Score: 0
I would like it if a URL in. Task title were clickable in the task view (rather than having to click, get the editable box, select and copy). Seem useful to others?
Peter Scott

Posted Sep 21, 2013 in: Tasks, Notes, Outlines, Lists, ...
Sadly, I must agree. Sadly, because I will continue using Toodledo and I like its developers, but they appear to have lost their way. I posed a question some days ago: "What do you use outlines for?" and not one person answered. Essentially, outlines add indentation levels to task notes and lists add tables to task notes, and that's it. I can't yet think of a decent use case for either that has anything to do with tasks, which is why I asked.

Whereas I would consider donating money if it accelerated the arrival of more than one level of subtask, and sorting views that attach to custom searches.

I know there's been some development in tasks, like custom searches propagating to iOS, but there's so much more that could be done here - the target I am thinking of is eproductivity - and I don't like seeing the focus diluted.
Peter Scott

Posted Sep 17, 2013 in: What do you use outlines for?
I'm having a hard time seeing the utility of outlines in their current form. They seem to be restricted to defining a hierarchical list that can be seen in a task attachment. There doesn't seem to be anything there that couldn't have been done with tabs at the beginning of task note lines.

I wonder if I am missing something. I have wanted for a long time sub-sub-task capability for GTD so I could fold projects under larger scale initiatives. I don't need to see multiple levels in one view but I need to define them so I can group parent tasks under another parent. I've also wanted sequencing, where completing one sub-task would move the next one into a different state, although that's less critical (I could write something to do it via the API if I was motivated enough). Both of those things look like outlines might help except they apparently don't.

If nodes in an outline don't have any functionality (like task metadata and actions) then an outline is just a note with indentation. The only functionality is checking completion, but I can't see what use that is if it doesn't integrate with tasks at the node level.

Not trying to gripe here, I just want to know what use cases people have for outlines in case I'm missing something useful.
Peter Scott

I also want filters and sorting saved with the searches, and have been asking for years. I do all my work from a set of 9 saved searches that I click back and forth between very frequently. When I go to each one I have to change the sort order. It would make a great difference to me.
Peter Scott

Posted Dec 09, 2012 in: Color Coding
I agree with ChristianDiscer's suggestion. The most flexible realization of this I can think of is to add an option to saved searches to display the results in a certain color. Then whenever tasks are being displayed, test each of them against all saved searches that set that option and display in the color of the first one that matches.
Peter Scott

My entire GTD process is built around 9 custom saved searches. I spend 98% of my time on the search page. Saved searches for the iphone is by far the most important thing on my wish list.
Peter Scott

Posted Sep 20, 2012 in: Print graph
Could your fancy drawing techniques have the option to display just the chart in a separate window?
Peter Scott

Posted Sep 20, 2012 in: Print graph
I just discovered a thread on this but it's a couple of years old and locked. I want to raise the issue again. I want to print the line chart every day as an incentive and while the app is extremely cool, printing it is not fast. It seems I'd have to capture the chart area with SnagIt. Productivity depends on a low bar to jump over. I'd prefer something where I just hit Ctrl-P. Then I could automate that too. Printing the web page with all the stuff around the chart isn't so helpful.
Peter Scott

Posted Jul 04, 2012 in: Collaboration Improvements
Awesome update. I can guess at how much work it must have been. Thank you!

Has the API changed any for this?
Peter Scott

Posted Jan 05, 2012 in: Suggestion: Checksum task corpus
I'm putting this here rather than in a ticket because I want to get reactions from others to see if it's a good idea.

The incremental update model for local caches makes me nervous. If a client gets out of sync for any reason it will forever remain out of sync. I am thinking that one way out of this would be to supply a checksum function in the API: Return a checksum of all tasks on the server. Then compare it with a checksum of all tasks in the local cache. If they don't match after a sync then they're out of sync and the client knows it should wipe its cache and download everything.

Checksum would have to be done on the concatenation of all fields and notes in each task. Would require careful specification. Comments?
Peter Scott

I was just about to post my own feature request ticket for this when I saw this thread get bumped. I was sure that sorting and filtering were on a per-search basis and was extremely disappointed to find they were global.

Customizing searches with particular sorting and filtering options is a must. Example: I have one search that shows next actions, it excludes deferred tasks. I have another that shows things I am waiting for, it is on status = Waiting|Delegated. Can't switch between those the way things are.
Peter Scott

Posted Nov 08, 2011 in: Reassign?
Is there a way in the API to reassign a task? And to list the possible delegation targets of the user? If not, please consider this a feature request. Keep up the good work.
Peter Scott

Thanks for the sync page URL. There was a lot of entries from Toodle Tasks HD. I suspect that was the culprit. I have expunged it from my Touchpad. Expensive lesson...
Peter Scott

FWIW, I notice that the server seems to take some time to respond to changes. I made a change at 18:16 through the web browser. I queried the server through the API at 18:30 and it says last task edit 18:15, and the task I just changed shows as the old version. I wait a minute, query again, it says last task edit 18:16 and the task is now the way I edited it. So not completely synchronous. I wait a few more minutes to 18:25 and now it says last edit 18:22, caught up.
Peter Scott

Here's an even better data point... one of my edits was to remove the tag 'personal' from every task. Now when I pull up the tag page on the web, 'personal' is not in the list of tags in the left bar. However, in the list of tasks in the main page, many of the tasks still show the 'personal' tag. This is on a different machine from the one I was using to make the edits. Refreshing the page makes no difference. So it's idea of the list of possible tags reflects the situation after I made the edits, but the list of tasks themselves reflects the situation after something rolled the tasks back.

Okay, I don't need to air this in public any more. I'll copy it all to a support ticket tomorrow but I'd just reopened one on API documentation today so can't do so before then. I just wanted to see if anyone aside from Toodledo support staff had any ideas.

This message was edited Nov 07, 2011.
Peter Scott

Posted Nov 07, 2011 in: Added by --- is what field?
I notice when I hover over one of the icons on the web interface that it tells me "Added on date by ___" where it may say "iPhone" or "Email" or something else. What field in the tasks API stores that identity?
Peter Scott

Here's a nice data point. I picked one of the tasks that was still showing as the way I had changed it on my laptop. I added a tag to it to trigger a change. I refreshed my view of the task on another machine. It showed the tag change to that task but still had the old values of all the other attributes, like title.

So the browser is saying "Change tags for task ID 12345 to foo,bar" and it's doing that on the server but the title and everything else is still in the inconsistent state where it was rolled back somehow. It doesn't look like I'm going to get all these changes back unless I make changes on the laptop to every single field that was edited... in 154 tasks. Argh.

Peter Scott

Okay, I'm honked off here after losing several hours of work, and even if it's somehow my fault I certainly want to find out why and how to stop it. This has happened more than once in the last couple of days.

I'm in the process of completely revamping my GTD model and changing many attributes of many tasks. I've been editing about 1000 tasks and changing titles, tags, status, context, folder, dates.

Something has been changing them back. I don't know what, but I did extract irrefutable proof. And this scenario didn't even involve multiple laptops.

I'm using a laptop (OSX/Safari) and going in via the web site, showing all tasks and multiline view for each. I edited all of them in some way or another. Because of observing this stealth reverting of tasks earlier (see my question "How is sync done from web browser?") I decided to observe what was happening independently.

I used the Perl module App::Toodledo (which I wrote, so I know how it works and have just updated it for API 2) and ran it in no local caching mode so it was showing me what was on the server for sure.

I ran a search (through the API) once to show a certain set of tasks. I dumped out all their attributes. I edited them through the web interface.

I ran the search again and saw that my changes were reflected in the data from the server.

I closed up the laptop and charged it, came back 4 hours later. I ran the same API search and the tasks were back where they were before the change! Titles, attributes, everything.

I still have the screen on the laptop showing the edits I had made so I am not hallucinating. I am sure as soon as I navigate off that page I will lose them. I brought the site up from a different machine and I see the tasks in their pre-edit state, agreeing with the API search.

Something changed those tasks back in those 4 hours. What???

I noticed when I reopened the laptop that I got a beach ball on the Toodledo page for several minutes, FWIW. I don't see how that could matter.

I have Toodledo apps elsewhere. I have the Toodledo app on the iPhone which was powered on but not in use. I have Toodle Tasks HD and also Done! on the HP Touchpad, which was also powered on but not in use.

The most likely scenario I can think of is that some kind of bug in either of the Touchpad apps undid my changes. I still find that really unlikely but I have no better idea so I removed both of them.

The previous incident I was referring to was when I was switching between two Mac laptops as each's battery ran out, however in this case there was only one laptop in use.

Notice the sentence in bold above: the edits I made were showing on the server right afterwards.

Obviously I am going to experiment now and see if I can get my module to spit out the identity and timestamp of anything making a change, but you get that I am ticked off after wasting thousands of keyclicks and mouse presses. If I had tried editing on the Touchpad at the same time I would have more reason to blame myself but under the circumstances I described someone somewhere has a bug.

I don't know if there's a way of getting my laptop to flush its screen which still shows the edited tasks back to the server but I'm going to try.

Peter Scott

Posted Nov 07, 2011 in: How is sync done from web browser?
I'm starting a separate thread on this because of the nature of the problem and more recent incidents. Look for one titled "Several hours of work lost - what rolled back changes?"
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next