ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Andrew"
Andrew

Posted May 20, 2009 in: Repeating tasks
Score: 1
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 20, 2009
  • Score: 1
I have a task that repeats every day, regardless of whether or not I do it or not. Comparable to daily math homework. Yet, even though I set it to repeat every day, it does not copy itself with a due date the day after until I complete the task.

Does this really make sense? If an 5-days overdue task is set to repeat every day (and NOT from completion date), shouldn't it be listed in your task list 5 times to signify the 5 times you need to do it? (once for each day overdue) I realize that they WILL appear once you start completing the overdue task, but then you have to complete them all in chronological order.

Maybe this can be fixed by offering a third option in the repeat pane.
Andrew

Posted May 09, 2009 in: Updates to forums
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 09, 2009
Yeah seriously, I am liking these forums that are built from scratch. I really don't care about post count or signatures, especially on Mac forums where all anyone puts there is what Macs they own. Things like that are just plain unnecessary.
Andrew

Posted May 04, 2009 in: Due date field clarification
Score: 0
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 04, 2009
  • Score: 0
I'll just use the start date then, no big deal. But there is just one more small thing I want to mention. While the link provided in the previous post is clear, the same thing I pointed out in the iPhone documentation is present in the website documentation.

From http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42
Sometimes a task cannot be completed until after a specific duedate. You can use the "due after" option (abbreviated by ">") to tell Toodledo the earliest date that this task can be completed. For example ">2008-01-01" means that this task cannot be completed until Jan 1, 2008 has passed. Toodledo will know not to bug you about this task until the specified date arrives.

This message was edited May 04, 2009.
Andrew

Posted May 04, 2009 in: Sorting by Tag
  • Andrew
Posted by Anders:
That should not be happening. Are you sure you are properly separating multiple tags.

Yep...I'm using commas. Space or no space after the comma doesn't make a difference. Here's a screenshot:

Andrew

Posted May 04, 2009 in: 2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did
  • Andrew
Posted by Anders:
Posted by Andrew:
1. Adding an option for due dates in the form of "the X of each month" e.g. "The 2nd of each month". This is useful for things like billing cycles.

Format 2: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=2

Format 2 does not let you specify an exact numerical day of the month. It only lets to specify the Nth occurrence of a specific day of week. You can get close though, so it's not that big a deal.
Andrew

Posted May 04, 2009 in: Due date field clarification
  • Andrew
I found this behavior described in the iPhone app documentation, so I guess it's not a bug, but I would have expected it to act the same as a start date.

Andrew

Posted May 03, 2009 in: Removing categories/dividers
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 03, 2009
Here is a quick workaround to remove the category/dividers that appear when you sort a list. They can get pretty tacky if you have a lot of them and they are only separating groups of 5 tasks or less.

When you use the sort panel, choose "Date completed" for the first criteria since most of the tasks you will be looking at will fall under 1 criteria (not completed) and therefore, one divider. Then use the second [and third] criteria as your sorting options.

This message was edited May 03, 2009.
Andrew

Posted May 03, 2009 in: Sorting by Tag
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 03, 2009
Sorting by tag doesn't really work like you'd expect it to. Here is an example:

You have tasks A, B, C, and D. You also use tags 1 and 2. Here is your list:

A: Tags: 1
B: Tags: 2
C: Tags: 2
D: Tags: 1, 2

When sorting by tag, it shows the categories: "1", "2", and "1, 2". Task A goes under category "1", tasks B and C go under category "2", and task C goes under category "1, 2".

Shouldn't task C go under both category "1" and "2" rather than "1, 2"? I understand that it will look like a duplicate, but it makes more sense without categories for each combination of tags.
Andrew

Posted May 02, 2009 in: 2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 02, 2009
I hope you don't mind me changing the subject entirely.

Two other things Toodledo needs to add support for are:

1. Adding an option for due dates in the form of "the X of each month" e.g. "The 2nd of each month". This is useful for things like billing cycles.

2. Adding autocomplete for entering tags. This is userful for longer tags and the times when you want to apply many tags at once. You should also be able to do this on the iPhone app in the form of selecting from a list of tags instead of manual entry.
Andrew

Posted May 02, 2009 in: Due date field clarification
  • Andrew
Alright, I'm still not really clear on the "due after" part. Does it really function like a start date? I notice that when I apply a start date and apply the "Hide Future Tasks" filter, I do not see any tasks that have start dates in the future. However, if I apply a "date after" and apply the "Hide Future Tasks" filter, it also hides the tasks, but only those that are at least a week into the future. What exactly does the "due after" field do?
Andrew

Posted May 02, 2009 in: Importing tasks from RTM
  • Andrew
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is an easier way of importing your tasks from the RTM website. You can import tasks by list (folder) instead of all the tasks at once like it says to do on the main Toodledoo website. This saves you the step of sorting all your tasks into lists.

Here's how: on the RTM website, go to each list and deselect any tasks in order to have the list name appear in the right-hand column. Then just follow the iCal export/import.

This message was edited May 02, 2009.
Andrew

Posted May 01, 2009 in: Due date field clarification
  • Andrew
  • Posted: May 01, 2009
So about the "optionally on" option: the task will NOT be hidden, but when the date passes, it will remove itself, correct? That seems like it can apply to a lot of things.
Andrew

Posted May 01, 2009 in: Due date field clarification
  • Andrew
While using Toodledo for the first time, I noticed that there are several options for due dates. I consulted the help document, but I am still slightly confused.

What is the difference between "due by" and "due after"?

What is the difference between "due on" and "optionally on"? The help doc says that "optionally on" will automatically remove the task the following day if not completed, but shouldn't "due on" have the same functionality? And where does it go when it is "removed"?
Andrew

Posted May 01, 2009 in: Questions about specific features
  • Andrew
Hello. I am a user that is considering switching to Toodledoo from RTM, mainly because I paid for a pro account at RTM, but there haven't been updates to the main product in years. The iPhone application would be the ONLY reason to renew my $25/year subscription. The developer[s] here are amazingly responsive, and I am willing to evaluate their pro product for a year.

However, I do have a few questions about some of the features in Toodledoo:

1. History is very important to me. I realize that I can extend the retention period from 6 months to 2 years with a pro account, but is there any way to export the history if I want to keep it longer? What happens if I forget to renew my pro account for a day?

2. How useful is the iPhone application? I know that with RTM, their iPhone application took months to develop, but when it came out, it was complete. There were very few bugs and it had everything you would expect: multiple ways to input due dates, smart lists, tags manually or by selection, viewing [all] completed tasks etc. It also looks great. Is the Toodledo iPhone application complete as well?

3. The start date feature is unclear to me. If I apply a start date to a task, it will be "hidden". Hidden from what? Will I still see it in my folder view? Will it still appear in my searches? The help doc says "You can always reveal these hidden tasks by turning off the "Hide Future Tasks" filter." Does it mean the one in the account settings or the "Show future tasks" option under the filter list? If the latter, then does the "Hide Future Tasks" account setting still apply, or is it show all or nothing for tasks that are due more than one day in the future?

4. Is it possible to share just one folder at at time rather than the entire to-do list? In RTM I could share my homework list with people that wanted to see it without sharing my personal list at the same time.

5. How easy is it to manage lots of tasks at once with the website? Can you duplicate tasks? Can you edit multiple tasks at once? I read about the "multi-edit" feature, but the way it is implemented is weird. It is very powerful, but why is it imprisoned in the search tab? What if I have a bunch of untagged tasks that have gained importance and deserve to be in their own category? I suppose I would have to gather them in a search like:

Task IS task1
OR Task IS task2
OR Task IS task3

and and only then be able to use the multi-edit feature to tag them all? Can you see why I think it's implemented strangely?

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading. My task list is important to me and I'm sure it is to you too.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3