ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by cjuzda"
cjuzda

Posted Feb 13, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Feb 13, 2010
  • Score: -1
Proximo: You may be interested to know that ToDo for iphone just added Star capability to their app and the sync to Toodledo supports it as well
cjuzda

Posted Jan 27, 2010 in: Getting Started guide?
Score: 0
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 27, 2010
  • Score: 0
If you're going to use Toodledo for GTD, I strongly suggest you visit the GTD section of the forum and spend some time there - Many have found the "Proximo's GTD Setup" thread to be very useful . Since GTD can be viewed quite subjectively and Toodledo is a flexible app, that does not adhere to GTD in the strictest sense(no web app does, really), you need to develop your own approach and the threads will help you more than any guide could. The Toodledo help sections will get you acquainted with the basic Toodledo UI, etc.

If you're serious about using Toodledo on web and iphone, definitely with the Toodledo Pro account - it's worth the $

Good luck!

Chris
cjuzda

• cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2010
I agree with lite1 - this type of change impacts other areas such as ToDo syncing, etc. Leave it alone
cjuzda

Posted Jan 25, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2010
@Hadamard

Personally if a project required multiple tasks to be done to be considered completed and I was not prepared to move ahead with those tasks any time soon, I would put give the entire project a "Hold" status and not worry abut the status for the individual tasks. You should pick this project up in your Weekly review if you determine that you're going to continue with the tasks in question in order to complete the project. Usually "Someday" is used to identify a project that you may or may not START someday, not one that is already being worked on

Chris
cjuzda

• cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 24, 2010
I tried Toodledo and ended up switching to ToDo, primarily for the better handling of projects and what is in my opinion a much better interface. But they are both good and both have strengths and weaknesses. I suggest you just try Toodledo - I don't believe there is a problem syncing both but I didn't sync both. I synced ToDo instead of Toodledo and just stayed with it but I don't think that syncing both would create any problems except for possibly having one sync overwrite the other so I would make sure that I synced each one immediately after making changes, not make changes on both, then syncing them both
cjuzda

• cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 24, 2010
Repeat With Parent: when you click on the repeat column for the task and click on the down arrow, it is the last repeat option on the list

Posted by k.shepherd:
Okies here's what I need to do:

At the moment I am studying to towards 2 separate qualifications called study and training. I need to do bits for each everyday except Sunday (cause I have jamma day on Sundays).

Soes.... I would like to set it up something like this:

(- = parent
-- = subtask)

- do some studying (daily except suns pls :p)
-- take notes (due today one time task)
-- do assessment (due jan 29 one time task)
-- look up something on the web (no due date)
-- check course website (daily, guess what? Except suns ;p)

I have had a look at the help section on subtask and it states that you can set a task to repeat with parent but I cannot find this option :(

Also, do I need to set all subtasks to repeat with parent for them to be carried forward with the parent task?

Lastly, all the subtasks are currently showing up on the hotlist whether they are due in the next 2 days or not (my setting). How do I resolve this?

In regards to the help sections, would it be possible for there to be tutorial sections for the people with mush brains like me? All this work leave no room for figuring out things for myself hehehe

Woah just read that back.... sorry for the barrage of questions ;p

- Kim x
cjuzda

Posted Jan 22, 2010 in: Trying a different iphone app
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 22, 2010
I took at look at the functionality but it doesn't support tags, focus list, or priorities, which was a deal breaker for me. Project handling was good though

Posted by c.e.perry:
cjuzda,

If you don't like the way ToDo handles projects, you may want to look at my app, Action Lists on the iPhone. It syncs with Toodledo and tries to make GTD as easy as possible.

One difference between Action Lists and ToDo is in the way that it handles projects. Action Lists syncs projects to Toodledo as folders. This might suit you better.

You can get more info on Action Lists from: http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 22, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
  • cjuzda
@TheGriff

My opinion only but for me it is more productive to pre determine (as much as possible and with the knowledge that circumstances can change) not just what I should be doing on a given day but also which of those tasks is the most important. By using priorities, even if my context changes, the more important items will still bubble to the top of the list for whatever context I'm in. If I don't do this, I can end up just doing the "easy stuff" first and not have time for something more important. Plus, after completing any task, I would have to mentally re process all my remaining tasks before deciding on the next one. You can do this fairly easily on paper as well on a daily basis but I agree for longer time frames it becomes more difficult to do with a paper based system.

Regards
cjuzda

Posted Jan 22, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 1
  • cjuzda
  • Score: 1
@Claudio

Thanks, I've been using different programs and methods like FC and GTD for quite a while and I'm always interested in what others are using and doing. It's easy to get a bit obsessive with this stuff though :)
cjuzda

Posted Jan 22, 2010 in: iPhone Section on the Forums
  • cjuzda
I don't think it matters what you call it but I believe right now that the iphone is the only non web mobile platform and certainly the most popular. Other mobile devices use a web app, so there is a big difference but there's nothing wrong with just having a mobile web app section AND an iphone section. Great suggestion Proximo.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 21, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2010
Not exactly correct according to GTD. Priority is one of the four key components for choosing "Actions in the Moment" so it is certainly acknowledged by GTD that some things are more important (Bigger Rocks?) than others.

Posted by TheGriff:
What do you mean "big rock"? I think you're trying to bring Covey into GTD. ;-)

If something must be done today it should have a date to make it so...otherwise all the rocks are the same when it comes to GTD.
cjuzda

• cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2010
@Proximo

I don't know why this board behaves like that, it's a confusing way to show a quote within a quote.

I agree that Nozbe really doesn't do GTD properly but it has some potential that's why I was asking davidholliday to expand a bit. Also I was looking at their forums and it appears the iphone app is a bit of a disaster due to problems with subscriptions and they are re doing it

Chris
cjuzda

Posted Jan 20, 2010 in: Trying a different iphone app
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2010
You probably know that TR has just released an iphone app but it's very limited and pretty much has to be used with the desktop version and could not possibly used stand alone without very regular syncing to the desktop app. If they ever get the iphone app fully ramped up, I would be tempted to go back even though I would have to sync with laptop/desktop, although a web app would be preferable. It really is a great app.

Posted by Proximo:
@cjuzda,

In my GTD Setup I use folders for the list and this includes Projects. I did this t isolate the list as you would in GTD but somethings still end up broken.

ThinkingRock is awesome and I used it as my GTD System for a long time, but needed something in the Cloud and on my iPhone.

:-(
cjuzda

• cjuzda
Interesting - I've taken a quick look at Nozbe but it seems a bit pricey for a web app compared to Toodledo which to me is a comparable app - different but comparable. Can you add a bit of info re why you feel Nozbe is a good solution - The iphone app looks good and it's free but paying $60+ every year seems pretty expensive for the web app so it would ave to be measurably better than alternatives

Chris

Posted by davidholliday:
Posted by Proximo:

I am always on the lookout for something that can do GTD right and only GTD.

I think we are on the same journey - all I want is a simple GTD workflow, not interested in all the extras.

At the moment Nozbe comes pretty close for me. I'm getting over the lack of a proper inbox by using Evernote for all my collecting and adding anything that is a task or project to Nozbe at the Process stage.

A lot is going to depend on how the upcoming iPhone app for Nozbe works out.

I've noticed as well that quite a few people seem to have had success setting up a context and tag system in Evernote and used that as their GTD system. I might try that while I'm in limboland here.

I must say, the Evernote/Nozbe combo has made me feel more in control of what I'm doing, so some progress has been made.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 20, 2010 in: There is no GTD system...
  • cjuzda
I agree 100% in principle BUT IMHO there is nothing wrong with trying to get a system that provides the most efficiency. Even in your example of calling your mother, the fact that a system can tell you which of your options out of maybe 30 or 40 calls is a 5 minute task is going to save you going through any unnecessary thought processes, which is one of the goals of GTD. I agree we probably spend far too much time on this but it is human nature to try and improve processes.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 19, 2010 in: Trying a different iphone app
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2010
You're certainly correct as far as the way Toodledo handles projects, it isn't particularly good, basically a work around I think. I didn't mean to say that Toodledo handles projects any better than ToDo because I think ToDo is better from a UI perspective on projects. However, per GTD, you can't DO a project so they shouldn't show up mixed in with the other tasks in the task list which is what ToDo does. Ideally, the Task(s) should show up and I don't see any reason why ToDo couldn't accomplish this fairly easily together with a "Projects" view. I think a really good example of how to handle projects is Thinking Rock's methodology which includes project task sequencing options and automatic promotion of next actions to active status. Great program but not a web app and they're just getting started with iphone.

Posted by Proximo:
The reason is seems dumb to you is because a "Project" in Toodledo is really nothing more than a Task that happens to have sub-task. It's really not a project at all.

Toodledo does not have true Projects.

The ToDo apps is very well designed and laid out, but I find it difficult to use any other iPhone app with my Hacked Toodledo setup.

For this reason, I stick with the Toodledo iPhone app and I don't use the much better UI found in other apps like ToDo.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 19, 2010 in: Trying a different iphone app
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2010
Using Toodledo Pro and I think it's the best web based app available right now for GTD. Not perfect but it is flexible enough to allow me to set it up the way I want. I still think the UI could be improved a lot but for a web app, it's excellent. Having said that, I use the iphone app more than the Web app and I'm currently trying the full paid version of Todo, which I'm liking better than the Toodledo iphone app. The Toodledo app is much more configurable than ToDo but I was finding that was part of the problem. I couldn't stop "playing" with it. ToDo is less configurable and there are things I wish it could do such as Stars and the filtering is very limited. However, to me the UI is so much cleaner and I can see more at a glance than with Toodledo. The main thing is that it is just making my life a bit easier, particularly the ability to see notes with the task; projects; check lists; and the Call ask type integration with e address book. I haven't really used Tags yet but I'm sure that's still one thing to "play" with - I just need to decide the best use for them, perhaps Goals could be Tags but I would really like a real Goals component however and filtering by priority would be a huge improvement over just being able to sort by priority. Also, while the way you view projects is superior to Toodledo, The fact that you can't show project Tasks directly in the lists but have to click on the project is pretty dumb because your projects show up looking the same as tasks with the exception of a small indicator icon and then you have to click on the project to show the actual task that is due. To me this ruins what is otherwise very good project handling. There is certainly no perfect app but right now, ToDo is working better for me.

Chris

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 18, 2010 in: Finally got my iPhone and Toodleo App.
  • cjuzda
  • Posted: Jan 18, 2010
I agree that more customization of the Hotlist would be very nice to have. For example, I would like to be able to remove the Top Priority category items from the Hotlist (as an option). As far as projects go, to me the drill down is not a big problem for me but I can understand your point - With iphone apps, it's always a trade off between ease of use in terms of having enough empty space on the screen to easily select items with a big fat finger vs getting more information on the screen. Maybe the new islate will be the answer!

Chris

Posted by Proximo:
Posted by cjuzda:
Proximo - It's interesting ot read your views on the iphone app, I (and there are others) prefer the iphone app to the web app. Nothing's perfect but the iphone app performs very well on that platform.

Why do you think the Hotlist is useless? If one of your complaints is that you can't see your Due Today items, you could set the Hotlist to show only Due Today items (Plus Top priority, which is easy to filter out mentally or just forgo). Even so, I don't think 2 taps with your finger instead of 1 tap really constitutes a tough "drill down". You could always set Due Dates as your start up screen as well. Naturally there is always room for improvement but you very seldom see an iphone app that closely resembles a fairly complex desktop app and is still usable. I think the 2 complement each other quite nicely.

@cjuzda,

I agree that you can't expect an iPhone app to be organized the same way as a full blow Web Application. My only problem with the "Hot List" is that Toodledo does not offer enough triggers to customize what I feel is Hot. I would love to have Stared task on there for example.

Because of this I don't use Hot List, but my overall complaint goes way beyond this issue. The layout of the iPhone app simply has to many areas where you have to drill down to get where you want to be.

Clicking on a Project, I must scroll down and click again to see the sub-task or steps required for the project. I should be able to click on a Project and see the steps immediately, front and center.

Same goes with the details.

I still agree with you on the difference between an iPhone app when compared to the site, but I would like to see some Ease of Use changes to the UI.
cjuzda

Posted Jan 18, 2010 in: 2009 In Review
  • cjuzda
Congratulations - I switched to Toodledo Pro from an off line application, primarily to get the iphone app. I did this after a LOT of research. The sync capabilities of Toodledo >< iphone are absolutely outstanding and the iphone app is very good. IMHO, you currently have the best combination of Desktop and mobile apps in the this particular market space. It's a fast moving market so I'm sure you'll have to keep up the pace to stay ahead of the curve.

Chris
cjuzda

• cjuzda
Actually I don't think this is faster than using filters. Let's say I'm in my DUE Today list and I just want to look at Calls. This is fast and simple if I just have to click once to filter on Calls so that only calls show as opposed to opening the context view, selecting errands and then looking at Today only, plus, I've also lost my focus on "Today" to some extent. When you think about it what you really want a filter to do is create a new view on the run - actually your tabs on the web app are "filters", etc. I think the term "filter" can be misinterpreted either way. what I'm really interested in is seeing the result of the filter, not semantics. In this type of application, I believe (after using many similar applications and working extensively with CRM program development)that users are more used to and would prefer to select what they want to see directly instead of using a subtractive approach. IN CRM, you can easily have 50 categories and if you only want to see one, you do not want to have to select the 49 you don't want to see. This is particularly true of something like contexts if you're using a GTD type approach where I may have 10 contexts or "places" and am much more likely to want to see one or two contexts at any one time and would prefer not to have to accomplish this by subtraction of 8 other contexts. My opinion only and it is an excellent application regardless.

Chris

Posted by Toodledo:
If you want to look at only one context, you could always go directly to that context by tapping on "Contexts" from the home screen and then "Errands". I think this would be faster than using filters, and you wouldn't have to undo the filter when you were done. Just an idea.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next