ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Srewolf"
Srewolf

Score: 0
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2021
  • Score: 0
I had a similar problem(?) with task notes, which now seems to be fixed. If I had a string which said "&-not", it got changed to "¬". So for example, a URL which included "&-notebook" got mutated and broken. I was just going to report this and found that it now seems to be fixed. (I use tasks.toodledo.com).
Srewolf

• Srewolf
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2019
From https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/-121347/read.html#jump just this past May:
Posted by Charlie5:
Here is HUGE list of alternatives. This was put together by myself and the IQTELL community when that platform shutdown.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JCAzQ5f9ETGDhGZSUtecnq5at7AJw3BxSzP5E3h4lgo/edit

What is especially useful about this spreadsheet (above) is that there are multiple columns for various features. There is a lot in it, and it is well worth a look.

I've also come upon this possibly informative list:
https://alternativeto.net/software/toodledo/

Sometimes the MakeUseOf people have good suggestions, this might be worth a look:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-todo-app-remember-the-milk/

This message was edited Jul 01, 2019.
Srewolf

Posted Jun 28, 2019 in: Save result order with searches
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Jun 28, 2019
Are you talking about Saved Searches? This has been available for a long time. It is easy:
1. Click on the Saved Search you are interested in.
2. Click on Modify Saved Search (upper right, white drop-down menu right above the X in the phrase "Advanced Search X".
3. Set the sort order however you want it.
4. Hit the SAVE button (bottom of your saved search parameters window at the left)

If you are talking about the default searches in the blue strip at the left, for me it saves whatever the most recent sort order I have used.
Srewolf

Posted Jun 18, 2019 in: Start date
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Jun 18, 2019
Wow, I've been encountering tasks like this (start date after due date), and I was wondering how they would get messed up like that. This is really useful to point out, thanks.

Hope it gets fixed ....
Srewolf

• Srewolf
  • Posted: May 13, 2019
In case it helps: I just checked, and my history has tasks completed as far back as April 2015, over 10,000 of them. (I didn't realize I had started with Toodledo that long ago.) I am currently subscribed at the gold level (I needed a full history).

I didn't see an easy way to get a list of my completed tasks, so I constructed a saved search "Done Tasks" that simply looked for tasks whose "Checked Off" is Yes. I've also made saved searches of Done in the last Week and Done in the last 30 Day, for ease of use.

This message was edited May 13, 2019.
Srewolf

Score: 1
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2019
  • Score: 1
What you want to do is easy to accomplish using the due date modifier of "Optionally On". (Or is this modifier not available in the free version?)

If an "Optionally On" task is a one-time event and you don't give the task a repeat, it automatically disappears after the event passes (e.g. a gallery opening). If it is something that you do over and over so that you do give it a repeat, it is automatically rescheduled if you skip it (e.g. put out the trash, give it a weekly repeat, if you end up skipping it one week put it out, the task gets automatically scheduled to the next week's trash day). I also use this for tasks without specific dates I want to be reminded of from time to time, but don't want annoying me every day.

When adding or editing a task, click on the due date box. By default it is due "By" (highlighted in blue), but instead you can click on any of the other due date modifiers On, After, Optionally On.

Due date modifiers are really useful, read more about them in help:
https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#42

I find all of the due date modifiers useful in various situations. Instead of thinking about the meaning of the different modifiers, I think about what kind of behavior I want. If I want something to show up as Overdue to really remind me to do it, I use Due By. If it is something I can do only on the specific date (like an appointment), I use use Due On and include a time (that way I can get a list of appointments by filtering for tasks with a Due Time, and Sort by Due Date). If it is something that I cannot address until after a certain date, I use "Due After'. Finally, I use "Due Optionally On" as described above.
Srewolf

Posted Jan 20, 2019 in: Two completely different views
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2019
I have ended up using Tags to mark work-related tasks, and then use the eyeball-icon (Show Tags section) to easily suppress the listing of other types of tasks which I don't want to focus on (I do the same thing for other categories, such as family obligations, self development, and so forth). But this is really just a hack work-around. (Tags are useful because you can have more than one tag on a task, and they don't pre-empt the idea of Contexts which are also accessible in the eyeball icon.)

An ideal solution would be to cluster all Long-Term work-related goals under a LifeLong goal "Work", (similar to the idea of workspaces or roles, as in previous forum discussions). However, TD doesn't seem to utilize the hierarchical structure of goals, even though it lets you define such relationships. For example, there doesn't seem to be any way to get a list of all tasks which contribute to a particular LifeLong goal.

Another approach would be to construct a Saved-Search titled "Work", that filters only tasks with work-related goals, "Family" that has tasks with family-related goals, and so forth. However, then I couldn't use the built-in searches at the left, such as Starred, Overdue, Tomorrow and so forth, and I do find those searches useful. The tag solution allows me still to make use of the built-in searches.

As it is, using the Tag approach, I must do manually what could be automatic. However, I think this is easier than setting up multiple TD accounts, and it is simple to add another "view" category to the task list. But, it is really just a hack for something that could be more elegantly accomplished if hierarchical goals were properly implemented in TD.

[I asked about utilizing LifeTime Goals in the past, but got no answers … is there something out there?
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/25327/0/sort-by-lifelong-goals-aka-lifetime-goals.html ]
Srewolf

Posted Oct 30, 2018 in: Last day of the month
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Oct 30, 2018
You can approximate this effect by setting the Due Date to the first of each month, but with a Start Date one day earlier.

However, you also have to make a point of seeking tasks which are "startable", however, because looking for, say, Due Today won't show it until the 1st. You can do this by constructing a saved search, or check the Dates / Calendar listing (which can be awkward to use), etc.

[I hadn't realized last day of the month didn't work correctly, but your question caused me to test the behavior. Now I have to go look for a few end-of-month tasks I have set up and fix them :( ]
Srewolf

Posted Oct 26, 2018 in: Main tasks page outage?
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2018
Same problem here. It is telling me:
Error Signing In!
Not Signed in. Redirecting to login page...

but then it is unable to load the login page.
Srewolf

Posted Aug 16, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
Score: 2
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Aug 16, 2018
  • Score: 2
Sorry, I find pink bearded dude to be rather off-putting. Gives the impression that the target audience is only young white males.

In general such cutesy pictures take away screen real estate that could be better used for real content, rather than simplistic images.
Srewolf

• Srewolf
  • Posted: Apr 21, 2018
What am I missing? It seems that sorting tasks by goal produces different sort orders depending on platform. Is there a setting I have missed which controls this? (And I still cannot find an automatic way to utilize the hierarchical structure of goals, even though lower level goals are defined as connecting to specific Lifelong goals). Here are the details:

On the iOS version, if you sort by goal, tasks are sorted alphabetically by goal name (it seems), no matter what kind of goal they are (Lifelong or Long Term -- I haven't tested Short Term Goals). [Depth-First]

However, on the web version, tasks related to all Lifelong goals are ordered first, after which tasks relating to Long Term goals follow. [Breadth First]

Specifically, all my goal names have numbers as the initial characters, to control how I want them to sort, with top level goals beginning with 1 Self, 2 Work, 3 Family, …., and Long Term goals having subnumbers such as 1.1 Health, 1.2 Leisure, and so forth, depending on what Lifelong goal they pertain to. On iOS, goal 1.1 appears before goal 2 (as it should). But on the web version, goals 1,2,3,4,5,6, all appear before 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and so forth.

Sort order of tasks by goal should be the same no matter what the platform. Or at least, let the user decide if they want to sort depth-first (most useful to me) or breadth-first.

Even better would be letting tasks be sorted by whatever Lifelong goal they pertain to, no matter what kind of goal they are. Otherwise, what is the purpose of linking lower-level goals to Lifelong goals? [Apologies in advance if I missed something in my search of earlier forum messages.]
Srewolf

Score: 1
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Dec 11, 2017
  • Score: 1
When planning actions to perform, I feel like I am missing out on how to utilize the hierarchical organization of Goals: Lifelong, Long-Term, Short-Term. TD provides the ability to sort by Goal, but that sort is only by immediate goal-name, and ignores what Lifelong goal a particular task is a part of. What I want to do is sort my daily tasks by Lifelong goal, so that, e.g. work is clustered in one section of the listing, home/family a different part of the listing, and so forth.

However, I don't see a way to add Lifelong goal as one of the fields to be displayed, or sorted upon.

For example, for planning the day, I would sort actionable pending tasks by 1) Lifelong goal, 2) Priority, and 3) Date Due, to then give a Star to the ones I can accomplish today, to then be viewed in the Starred display. When planning, I don't want the things I must do for my family (priority 3) to clutter up my needed work tasks, which is why I want to sort by Lifelong goal.

One kludge is to assign numbers as the first character of each goal-name, where the number of a Long-term or Short-term goal is inherited from the Lifelong goal they are a part of. However, that way, each subgoal gets its own divider, and I want all goals pertaining to a particular Lifelong goal to be grouped and sub-sorted together.

Another kludge is to manually enter the Lifelong goal as a sort key in the Tag field (which would also be useful for controlling what group of tasks is displayed by means of the eyeball icon). However, that duplicates information that is already inherent in each task entry. Also, because of a huge number of tasks and obligations and roles in my life, I am trying to take advantage of what TD does automatically, and minimize the amount of manual "grooming" of my todo list that I have to do each day -- I don't want to have to manually add a sort-key to the tag field every time I create a new task.

I am aware that for purposes of retrospective review, I can look at the Goal Chains to see where time has been spent. But I want to figure out how to use the hierarchical organization of goals for planning purposes ahead of time as well.

I've searched the forums for answers to this but haven't found much (other than most postings call the highest level goal a "Lifetime" goal rather than the name of the field "Lifelong"). There is this discussion from 2011: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/13351/-64315/sorting-goals-intelligently.html . Any suggestions or pointers appreciated.
Srewolf

Posted Nov 11, 2017 in: Upcoming Schedule?
  • Srewolf
  • Posted: Nov 11, 2017
In order to display my schedule, I have a saved search "Appointments" (sorted by due date) which looks only for tasks with "Due Times", and then I enter "Due Times" only into hard scheduled events which I am planning to go to.

For example, for something I plan to go to, such as a meeting or a dentist appt, I make sure to give it a "Due Time". However if it is a specifically scheduled event which I might or might not go to, I do not give it a due time, instead for information purposes I only put the time in the task title, such as "1-5pm Farmer's Market".

Then the saved search "Appointments" gives me a list of only hard scheduled meetings, appointments, etc. which I plan on going to.

Actually, at first I tried to accomplish this by constructing a search for any task which was "Due On" an exact day, but I couldn't find a way to constrain search to only tasks with "Due On" dates. Thus, what I have described above is my work-around.

This way, if I have a certain day earmarked for a task, I can still give that task a due date which will show up if I look for what I have to do today, but won't clutter up my list of hard scheduled Appointments.

However, this approach won't find repeating tasks far in the future, because only the next instance of a repeating task is in upcoming tasks (as far as I can tell -- other calendar programs can do this). However, you could construct a search for tasks with Repeat "Any" to get a handle of what kinds of upcoming repeats you might have.

[Note, for events which I may or may not attend, besides leaving off the due time, I also make them be due "Optionally On". That way if I skip them, they get automatically deleted by Toodledo after the date passes, eliminating the necessity of my taking my own time to manually delete them.]
Srewolf

• Srewolf
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2017
You can get automatic rollover of tasks whose dates have passed, by using "Optionally Due" dates plus Repeats, if I understand correctly what you were referring to. For example, I have putting out my mother's trash "optionally due" on next Monday, with a weekly repeat. If I skip one Monday, this task gets automatically rescheduled to the following Monday, without my intervention.

Even with single events, "Optionally Due" is useful, because if you don't complete a task (like some event I end up skipping), it gets automatically deleted. That way I don't have to manually take the step of manually deleting it.

I've been trying to organize my TD usage to take advantage of as many of the automatic mechanisms of TD as possible, because otherwise I spend too much time grooming my ToDo list each day, and "Optionally Due" has been a big help in this regard.

I would also like the ability to add some custom fields as you mentioned. I'd also like to define custom reports comprised of a couple of different views, or search results, assembled together onto different sections of the same screen/page.