ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by IceHeartX"
IceHeartX

Posted Jun 08, 2010 in: New action button and moving note icons
Score: 0
Fantastic! The note icon was always a pain for me, having it on the left is going to be very nice
IceHeartX

Posted May 03, 2010 in: tags and sort order
if i create 2 to do's
on each I put the same tags "aaaaa, bbbbb" and "bbbbb, aaaaa"
when I sort by tag they come up under two seperate headings for the tag.

is there any way to make tags cognizant of sort order?
IceHeartX

Posted Mar 29, 2010 in: Toodledo and iPad?
Score: 1
I too would like to know if there's plans for a specific toodledo app for the iPad or if any compatibility testing has gone on with either the web version or the current iPod version on an iPad

when i get my iPad on saturday am i going to have a toodledo?
IceHeartX

Posted Nov 13, 2009 in: How do people use the "active" status
does anyone try to use active in GTD?

I'm wondering where it fits?
IceHeartX

Posted Nov 11, 2009 in: Chrome dropdown box problem
crap. I thought it was just wierdness on my machine. Forgot entirely that I was using chrome 4
IceHeartX

Posted Oct 15, 2009 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Posted by garroteman:
No, I don't use tags

If I have 10 next actions like

print document
call X
draft an agreement
anwser e-mail
call B
check the prices on the internet
e-mail Z

I could have
@internet
@e-mail
@phone calls
@computer

but
I am at @office and don't have to move an inch to get all that tasks done - every tool is at my desk

and even if I had 30 next actions - you can easy fillter out the e-mails with simply looking at the list, but then again - does it really matter if you do

phonecall
phonecall

or
phonecall
phonecall?

I don't even have to move so it doesn't inconvenience me in ANYWAY. But imagine that you have 30 "stuff" in your inbox and you have to @contex every one of them - thats a lot of extra work just to do 5 phonecalls in a row

ok, I can see wanting to have a single context for @office as you say.

personally, I have my iphone with me at all times, which means that I can seperate @bandwidth from @work so that I don't have to wade through all my @office items when I'm standing in line at Wendys and just have time to make that 5 minute call to person X.

it's a small thing, but for me yes, it makes sense to break out @bandwidth because I *could* have bandwidth while not @office.

I consider the time that I spend @contexting items to be part of my daily review process. And since I'm following the 2 minute guidline I know that the three seconds it takes to @context something is tiny in comparison to the time that the task would take, and therefore worth doing.

(and the idea of having 30 items in my inbox is.. not unlikely at all. I generate a lot of todos as I work through my day. toodledo almost gets a monitor to itself in my current work setup.)
IceHeartX

Posted Oct 15, 2009 in: column sets for quick switching
I would LOVE this feature.

I use pretty much every column and currently I have to choose between a compact layout that's mostly unreadable, or a lot of of horizontal scroll to keep everything in sight.

being able to quickly turn on/off columns would be fantastic.
IceHeartX

Posted Oct 14, 2009 in: plugin for chrome
chrome is starting to pick up speed in dev-land and the recent addition of an extension manager means that now we have an easy way to install/uninstall those plugins.

The api is documented (I don't know how thoroughly) is there any chance that we could get a chrome version of the firefox plug?

I'd love a one click "todo this page" button or bookmarklet
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 25, 2009 in: Is GTD making us dumber?
there's a book called "everything bad is good for you"
[amazon.com] http://www.amazon.ca/Everything-Bad-Good-You-Actually/dp/1573223077 wherein the author tries to make the point that things like TV, video games and technology don't make us dumber.

for example :
take an episode of I Love Lucy vs an episode of Better off Ted.

Or Hillstreet Blues Vs. CSI.

what you see is a rise in complexity, and a *corresponding* adaptation by the audience to that rise in complexity.

Using GTD and toodledo lets you put things away where you don't have to focus on them, but you still have access to them. That's unprecedented in human history - well, at the level of complexity that we're discussing now.

seriously. If you know any kids, soon you're not going to be able to program a VCR (do they still make those?) and your kid's cellphone will be incomprehensible to you, but second nature for them.

"is this tool making me dumber" is like "can this fire I built burn me?" well, sure it can - but it'll also keep you alive in the cold, you know?

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009.
IceHeartX

Posted by Andrew:
I have several times experienced the same problem described in this (now locked) thread:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/935/-4505/notes-mixup-sync-problem.html

I am now able to repeatedly recreate the error as follows, but only when using Chrome:

- On a task that already has a note (let's call it Task A), click the note icon to expand the note, then click the note text to show text edit box, then click outside the text edit box to get out of edit mode
- Go to a new web site in the same browser tab (eg, type in "www.yahoo.com" or, as is what often happens with me, click on a link contained in the notes of Task A)
- After new site (eg, Yahoo) is loaded, click the back button to return to ToodleDo
- On a different task that already has a note (let's call it Task B), click the note icon to expand the note, then click on the note text to show the text edit box. When doing so, the text edit box contains the note from Task A, not Task B!!! If you click outside the text edit box, the note of Task A is then saved over the note of Task B, thus erasing the original Task B note. (If you notice this error before clicking outside the Task B note edit box, you can close the browser tab to prevent the note from being overwritten.)

I've lost a lot of notes from this until just now figuring out what was going on.

I've seen similar behaviour, but hadn't yet narrowed it down to chrome. But I see it in the tag field more often than the note.
IceHeartX

Posted by Toodledo:
By the way, if you guys like the updates, please don't forget to re-rate the app in the iTunes store. You can rate each version of the app that we release, and it really does help a lot for us to get good ratings, especially right after an update.

good point, i didn't know they tracked each version separately.

review sent.
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 22, 2009 in: Understanding "Next Actions"
Posted by Claudio:
Hi IceHeartX. I haven't posted anything over the past days but I have some comments for you now.

Rather than address your responses to my previous post, I think it's better if I start with your example

ok, I think it's down to definitions, but here goes

First, "go to the mall" is not a project, unless there are several actions that you need to do to get to the mall. And, whether it is a project or single action, you will complete it as soon as you arrive at the mall. "Go to the mall". "I'm at the mall". Done.

Go to the mall is a perpetual project for me, there's always some things that I should be picking up at the mall. I actually use Shopping as a context (when I'm not trying to write simple test cases and general examples)

Because I am consistently adding and removing tasks from my list (usually with more detail than "buy shoes") I want each action on my go to the mall list to be separate,
If I have "buy saran-wrap" as an item on a list for "things to buy at the drug store" then I won't see it if I happen to be at the corner store buying milk, but I could reasonably get saran wrap there also. This is why I am not sure about having a single project per shopping excursion - i worry that being too rigid and entering too much into a single task will occlude part of a list I should be seeing.
(see proximo's comments about separating lists by store)

As for your question "why would someone pick one over the other to make one of those two tasks the next action?", there are two parts to the answer:

1. Because you always have to choose, even if you choose to do nothing.

2. It's better to evaluate once and choose once rather than constantly re-evaluate.

these two are in direct opposition for me. when I add an item to my to do list and process it out of my inbox, I have done 2. and evaluated the item. From then on I shouldn't have to choose, I should be able to work from my lists without having to make further choices, isn't that the point?

if 2. is processed I should never see it again except in two circumstances :
1) I'm ready to do the task
2) I'm reviewing tasks undone

so, the way I work it is, anything that could *conceivably be done* (ie. i have enough info, I know what is required, I just have to DO it) is marked as a next action and I just do whatever tasks come up when i run one of my filters. I *don't* have to choose, that's the whole point of evaluating in the first place!

now, when you only have a single next action per project, when you mark that action complete, now you have to go re-evaluate every task left in the project and decide what's next, don't you?

You make a call list and when you have time to make calls you pull the top call off the stack 'cause you trust your system and your trust your method. that's how I understand it working. You don't make a call list with one item highlighted for arbitrary reasons, that's making a next action just for the hell of it, no?

Yes, flexibility and adaptability are important. But more important is the ability to decide quickly and firmly, and then to take specific action as a result of the decision.

agreed. I don't see this contradicting anything I've said.

And, yes, there are many factors to take into account when deciding what to do here and now. But often choosing the "best" next action is simple. A complex, difficult, seemingly impossible project will almost always have a "next action" that is simple and relatively easy to complete. If there is no identifiable next action, then it's not really a project -- it's a wish or a dream or just useless.

I spend 99% of my day either home or at work. (I live 5 mins walk from the office)
the vast majority of my work has a single next physical action :
sit down and write code.

currently I am using folders as "site areas" (ie, "login screen", "member info page", etc) then tasks as concrete features in those sections (add a button to the member info page) then subtasks for any specific information gathering or design work. the tasks are marked active, the subtasks are marked next action, if they can be completed without anything other than just sitting down and doing it. if a subtask can't be completed due to lack of X then I clone that subtask, set that status to waiting and build out the clone to have enough detail that it could be a next action (repeat ad nausea).

If it appears that there are many next actions (not "many actions", but many "next actions"), then, the project details are not as clear as they could be. Which is fine, if it's fine for you. You can still move ahead and still achieve your desired outcome within your desired time frame and with minimal stress. If not, then there are things you can change.

I suggest that the starting point is identifying a single Next Action for every project. Then complete it, and repeat.

I have many subtasks currently marked as "next action" because any or all of them can be done by me, or anyone that I delegate them to, in any order. Which means that I've successfully unloaded them from inside my head. So next time I have 10 minutes in the "@phone" context I see every task that I can do with that phone right now without anything else.

From David Allen's Making Things Work:
"No matter how long and how many times I have coached and taught about how critical specificity is in defining the physical action required to move things forward, it is a lesson that many people still avoid taking. Even for the thousands of people who have caught the vision of GTD and begun to implement its method, this one procedure of deciding and tracking the immediate next action remains elusive in practice. The most common cause of a list becoming listless and uninspiring is the lack of clarity about what to do about what's on it.
"The fundamental engagement question is, "What's the next action?" The answer creates the bridge from the invisible to the visible, from idea into reality, and (if you're not allergic to the term) from the spiritual to the physical."

I don't think that I have a lack of specificity. I have a distinct feature list and a clarified next steps for every one of them. I just have a couple hundred things on there at a time. I understand the motivation behind wanting a surmountable slice of your next actions as a psychological goad but I handle that by changing my searches rather than by not setting a status that can be useful.
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 16, 2009 in: expected functionality
it's a logistics thing.

if you delete a context, all the tasks that had that context suddenly go context-less.

would it be possible to add another option to the hover menu to convert parents into regular tasks, leaving all the children parentless? Or even a "clone this task without children" option would fit my goal here.

that way if I have a task with a bunch of completed sub tasks in it i can just dump the contents without having to move each sub task out via drag & drop.
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 16, 2009 in: expected functionality
parent tasks with completed child tasks in grid mode still appear as parent tasks (thus cannot be moved into another task as a sub task) despite having (apparently) no tasks in them.

I understand that this is likely intended functionality (saving completed tasks for posterity in their correct context) but am curious how others work around it.
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 16, 2009 in: Goals: How do you use them?
it's funny, I wouldn't have thought that ADD would translate into any large system that requires consistent entry.

I know when I'm manic (yay bipolar!) I find it bloody hard to sit still long enough to jot down tasks.
IceHeartX

Posted by Vin Thomas:
It would be really easy to do with a user-script. Try installing stylish and giving it a whirl that way.

Sadly, I'm currently swamped with more than enough coding myself. I'll put a task in to check out stylish though
IceHeartX

you shouldn't hide often used buttons, that extra space of time spent hovering is an annoyance that doesn't have to exist.

If there's an option to move the trash to the left there's nothing saying anyone but me would use it. But it can't hurt to submit it as a feature request.
IceHeartX

http://code.google.com/p/bitly-api/wiki/ApiDocumentation

bit.ly is a URL shortener.

sounds like a wacky plugin to me.
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 14, 2009 in: Understanding "Next Actions"
ok, and this may be more general a point than anyone intended.

As a knowledge worker, 90% of my work is either me sitting in front of a computer (14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week)

I have a lot of tasks, therefore, where the only physical component is me in front of a computer.

If the focus of GTD isn't on prerequisites (As someone said earlier in the thread - that's project management not GTD)

most of my actions take place in the same context (@work or @bandwidth)

I have many tasks that can all be done and will all move my "project" forwards

how do I end up with something other than a list of 100 next actions?

and if I have a whole lot of tasks but decide that only some of them should really be next actions, how do I make that decision?

if I have a project
"go to the mall"

with tasks
"buy shoes"
"buy perfume for my wife"

both of those tasks are next actions in that project, aren't they? why would someone pick one over the other to make one of those two tasks the next action?
IceHeartX

Posted Sep 14, 2009 in: Repeat Tasks keep disappearing
the way repeats work is that another instance of the original task is created *when you mark a task complete*. But it looks like if you do it in PI rather than on the site that "create the next instance" event isn't happening, it's just being marked done, so it looks like your event isn't repeating.

as a PI user I've just stopped using PI as read/write and only use it to check on my list. If I need to edit a task I do it in toodledo's app. I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Repeating tasks, strangeness when changing status
(ok, so you can see what I mean here's a fun bug, totally PI not TD)

my "next actions" list has 5 things on it. I go into the list and edit one of the items, removing the status. then I go back to the list. The list will still have 5 items on it, one of which wasn't showing before, and the one i just edited is no longer on the list.

So I say "Hrm". and go edit another item, again changing the status. This time when I go out to the list again the item i just edited is gone, but the first item I edited is now back with next action status.

For the longest time I thought it was PI trying to be helpful by making sure I always had some next actions, but have since come to the conclusion that it is simply a bug. Perhaps something to do with the way that PI stores changes in memory between syncs. I've noticed that this behaviour happens most often when I've got under 15 meg of RAM free on my ipod.

Glad to hear about PI 1.1 though, I really like their presentation and would love it more in landscape.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next