ForumsNewsImprovements to Email Importer

Improvements to Email Importer
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 05, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
In our Tools section we have long had a tool to allow you to send an email to Toodledo and have it automatically added to your to-do list. We have just made three improvements to this tool.

1) If you prefer the European date format (D/M/Y) for dates, you can now send dates in this format to Toodledo through email and it will interpret it correctly.

2) If you place -end- in the body of your email, anything after this will be clipped out and not attached to the task's note. This is useful to prevent your email signature from becoming part of every note.

3) If the subject is blank, the first line of the body of the email will be used instead for the task's title and attributes. This is useful for SMS or other programs that send emails without subjects.

More Info: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php
Mark.M

Posted: May 06, 2012
This is a great addition to the feature set. Especially the -end-. I always end up with all of the communication string in my notes field, when I just need the most recent comment as reference.

Thanks!
greginfla_

Posted: May 06, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
the END part is great!
UgoMars

Posted: May 07, 2012
Those are great improvements, thanks a lot. I make quite a lot of use of the email importing function when checking my email on the BlackBerry when commuting.

I agree that the END function will eliminate a lot of crap such as those long legal disclaimers that automatically attach to corporate emails going outside.

Being able to use the D/M/Y format is great too, I always had to take some time to remember I was supposed to start with the month instead of day !
Shawn Elliott

Posted: May 09, 2012
This is fantastic. I really appreciate all the hard work you do. A suggestion I have is the ability to add multiple items if you use the body. Perhaps by using the subject multiple or something.

I use the iPhone and I find it easier to add items using email when I'm out and about as Mail launches super fast and I can write keyboard shortcuts (ts! changes to @shopping *Shopping List etc).

What would be nice is the ability to add several tasks this way

Bread @Shopping *Shopping List
Milk @Shopping *Shopping List
Eggs @Shopping *Shopping List

Which for me is as simple as writing
Bread ts!
Milk ts!
Eggs ts!

Currently I do this by writing a message put the subject and ts! and then do the same for each item (all while telling my wife, "hold on, hold on, still entering the last one" :)

Thanks for all the updates and hard work. Your product is fantastic!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 09, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion.
frankie.toodle

Posted: May 10, 2012
I'd like to have a way of shortening the date entries even further:

#15 stands for a deadline at the next 15th day of a month
#jun stands for the first day of next June

That would be much shorter, less error prone, and perfectly in line with phrases like #tue, meaning next Tuesday.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Andrew A

Actually, a favorite feature of mine. Thanks for the improvements...
Tee7

Posted: May 14, 2012
Love #3! I've been wanting to use the Dragon Dictation app (iphone/ipod) but there was the extra step of putting in the subject. By that time might as well go to the toodledo app. This will help me send off quick tasks on the go. Thanks for all you do!
kralon20

Posted: May 16, 2012
#3 is very good news. I txt to TD often. Thank you!
David Navarro

Posted: May 16, 2012
Nice improvements. As a future feature, would it be possible to include the task details and rules (*,@,%,etc.) in the body of the email rather than the subject line exclusively?

I have a handful of tags and folders I have to remember to include on the fly. I was thinking I could have a signature set up that I could include prepopulated with my rules. For example:
Subject: new task
Body:
%tag *Folder #due
----
Notes section
-end-

Overall a great app, I probably don't say that enough.
Chris_45

Posted: May 23, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
It's been said before, but I would LOVE to see this functionality added to the "quick add" field of the main Toodledo page. Would really speed up entering tasks.

If you had a shortcut key that put focus into the quickadd box as well, that would mean you could enter a task without having to grab for the mouse.
JPR

Posted: May 24, 2012
Posted by Chris:
It's been said before, but I would LOVE to see this functionality added to the "quick add" field of the main Toodledo page. Would really speed up entering tasks.

If you had a shortcut key that put focus into the quickadd box as well, that would mean you could enter a task without having to grab for the mouse.

Is that really faster than using 'n' to get to the std add task form? No mouse. No shiftkey+ syntaxing. No need to accurately type a complete name. Just Tab, first letter, tab, first letter, tab, tab, etc. I suppose there might be scenarios where it could be a tick faster, but "really speed up entering tasks"? I'm skeptical.
Chris_45

Posted by JPR:
Posted by Chris:

Is that really faster than using 'n' to get to the std add task form? No mouse. No shiftkey+ syntaxing. No need to accurately type a complete name. Just Tab, first letter, tab, first letter, tab, tab, etc. I suppose there might be scenarios where it could be a tick faster, but "really speed up entering tasks"? I'm skeptical.

I can't speak for you, but yes - it would be quicker for me. That's why I said it. I find choosing what I want by first letter a little unreliable at times, as can entering the date. So the syntax - which presumably already has some kind of parsing software written for it - would be very useful.
Scott

I very much recommend the ToodleAir program for quick input of tasks. It uses the syntax, doesn't require the site to be open and while iI's unsupported now, it still seems to work pretty well for me.

https://github.com/jgallen23/ToodleAir

The thing I really like is that it's just a small input box that can sit atop other windows which is really handy for capturing notes and other details for the task.

Syntax on the quick add would be great as well!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.