ForumsNewsCollaboration Improvements

Collaboration Improvements
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 02, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
With today's update to collaboration, you can now create joint tasks that appear on multiple people's lists at the same time.

Toodledo was originally invented to be a personal task manager. Collaboration wasn't even an idea in our heads when we started. As such, Toodledo was originally designed to have a one-to-many relationship between people and tasks. A person could have multiple tasks, but a task could not have multiple people. This design decision permeated every aspect of Toodledo all the way from the database through the website and into our iPhone app and even 3rd party apps built atop Toodledo. Changing the task model to a many-to-many relationship was not a trivial task. Almost every part of Toodledo needed to be heavily modified and extreme care had to be taken to avoid breaking any existing 3rd party tools.

An analogy would be if you had a horse drawn carriage and wanted to add AC. You need electricity to run the AC, and you need an engine to make the electricity and you need a gas tank to power the engine. So, to add an AC you need to first add a gas tank. For the last two years we've been adding a lot of gas tanks. We've taken some detours, but we have never lost sight of the finish line. Today we are proud to release Toodledo's first iteration of a many-to-many task sharing feature.

There are now two types of private sharing. We have Workspaces which allow you to switch into someone else's list and manage their tasks (with permission, of course). This is what we had before, and it remains unchanged. The new, second type of private sharing is being called Joint Tasks and it allows the same task to appear on multiple people's lists at the same time. Any of the collaborators can manage the joint task and changes will be reflected on everyone's list. For each of your collaborators, you can customize how you can to share your tasks.

For more details, please read our updated sharing documentation.

The core functionality of joint tasks is now in place, but this is only the first step. We plan to expand on this in future updates. We want to enable sharing in our iOS app, and via our API so that 3rd party apps can integrate with Toodledo collaboration. We also plan to make it possible to make joint folders and other ways to more easily share tasks and collaborate on projects.

We have also squeezed in a few smaller changes to today's update.
1) If you try to close the page when you are in the middle of editing a note, it will now prompt you to save the note before you leave to prevent you from losing your changes.
2) Task length can now be 2 decimal places long, so you can enter times such as ".25 hours" instead of "15 mins"
3) Evernote links in task notes will now be clickable.
4) When sorting your list by date added/modified/completed in reverse, the date added/modified/completed column will be displayed
5) Bug fixes

This message was edited Jul 02, 2012.
Dave

Wow huge update! Thanks for your work. I have been waiting for joint tasks AND Evernote links (heck that could be a post itself). You guys are excellent about keeping a constant stream of updates. Great service!
GeneralBEA

Thank you so much! we were talking about last week and dreaming about you adding this feature
JCarl

Will you be adding the ability to create Searching another workspace within your own work in Advanced Search
Jake

Toodledo Founder
JCarl, I don't understand. You can search another workspace just like you can search your own. You can also search for joint tasks from within your account using our new shared task search option.
JCarl

OK, I got you now. You can search on Assignor with is really a workspace (semantics)or joint task. I think this accomplishes this. Will give it a try
GeneralBEA

Posted: Jul 03, 2012
what about the syntax to send a task via email, is there any special sign to be used to share the task?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Not yet. Collaboration must be initiated on the website.
vivendom.vilarriba

Today I begin collaborations ! Thank you.

Just comment 2 things about Joint Task:

1)You can not share subtasks individually.
You can only share parent task with all their subtasks.
Will you change that in the future?

2)Testing new sharing (Joint task) i've noticed that when a collaborator remove sharing on a parent task, parent owner's task changes to unshared but not their subtasks, wich remain shared. I think that this is a bug.

Thank you for your new improvement!
That's what we will looking for.
rmanser

Very interesting. How are folders handled? Can each user use their own folder or is it required to be the same for all users that are shared a task?
Nathan Maxwell

This is the part where I say thank you, thank you, thank you. Looking forward to trying it out!

I guess I need to re-activate the other Toodledo subscription. ;-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
@letitviv1
1) This is intentional. It will not be possible to share a subtask with someone who is not also sharing the parent. Subtasks go with their parent.
2) This sounds like a bug. I was not able to reproduce it. Can you please create a support ticket and list the steps that you took to make this happen?

@rmanser
When the task is initially shared, it will look for a matching folder by name and use that if it is found, otherwise it will create a new folder for you. Once a task is shared jointly, all of the fields are shared. So if you change the folder, it will change it for everyone.

This message was edited Jul 03, 2012.
daniel_h

hi,
thanks for the feature. this is a step in the right direction and I am glad that you are putting resources into this.

unfortunately, this does not satisfy my need for tracking assigned, shared, or joint tasks. I would like to be able to assign a task to my assistant, and track it in my task list. however, it needs to be able to show up, for example, as status "next action" for my assistant and "delegated" for me. also, my context for this task would be "@assistant" where her context might be "@research."

I want to be able to follow what she is doing, without it showing up as a next action for me or changing the context as it relates to me. I was hoping that having the task show on both of our lists would accomplish this, but I guess it does not.

I know I can just check the sharing list to follow up on her assigned tasks, but I want them to show up in my hotlist when I need to pay attention. in other words, I want it to remind me without me having to go look for it.

thanks for your consideration.
daniel_h

Posted by Toodledo:
@letitviv1
1) This is intentional. It will not be possible to share a subtask with someone who is not also sharing the parent. Subtasks go with their parent.

this seems counterintuitive to me. I have many parent tasks that are made of several subtasks. I want my assistant to do one of them, but not all. some subtasks are clearly my responsibility, and some are clearly hers, but they belong to the same parent. how do you suggest we handle that? the idea is to not clutter up her list with subtasks that she need not be aware of. please reconsider this "feature."
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We intentionally did it this way to make the initial feature easier to understand and implement. What you are suggesting adds a tremendous amount of complexity because we have to support subtasks without parents and parents with missing subtasks. We will consider it for a future update.
Xxx_2

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
With today's update to collaboration, you can now create joint tasks that appear on multiple people's lists at the same time.

Toodledo was originally invented to be a personal task manager. Collaboration wasn't even an idea in our heads when we started. As such, Toodledo was originally designed to have a one-to-many relationship between people and tasks. A person could have multiple tasks, but a task could not have multiple people. This design decision permeated every aspect of Toodledo all the way from the database through the website and into our iPhone app and even 3rd party apps built atop Toodledo. Changing the task model to a many-to-many relationship was not a trivial task. Almost every part of Toodledo needed to be heavily modified and extreme care had to be taken to avoid breaking any existing 3rd party tools.

An analogy would be if you had a horse drawn carriage and wanted to add AC. You need electricity to run the AC, and you need an engine to make the electricity and you need a gas tank to power the engine. So, to add an AC you need to first add a gas tank. For the last two years we've been adding a lot of gas tanks. We've taken some detours, but we have never lost sight of the finish line. Today we are proud to release Toodledo's first iteration of a many-to-many task sharing feature.

There are now two types of private sharing. We have Workspaces which allow you to switch into someone else's list and manage their tasks (with permission, of course). This is what we had before, and it remains unchanged. The new, second type of private sharing is being called Joint Tasks and it allows the same task to appear on multiple people's lists at the same time. Any of the collaborators can manage the joint task and changes will be reflected on everyone's list. For each of your collaborators, you can customize how you can to share your tasks.

For more details, please read our updated sharing documentation.

The core functionality of joint tasks is now in place, but this is only the first step. We plan to expand on this in future updates. We want to enable sharing in our iOS app, and via our API so that 3rd party apps can integrate with Toodledo collaboration. We also plan to make it possible to make joint folders and other ways to more easily share tasks and collaborate on projects.

We have also squeezed in a few smaller changes to today's update.
1) If you try to close the page when you are in the middle of editing a note, it will now prompt you to save the note before you leave to prevent you from losing your changes.
2) Task length can now be 2 decimal places long, so you can enter times such as ".25 hours" instead of "15 mins"
3) Evernote links in task notes will now be clickable.
4) When sorting your list by date added/modified/completed in reverse, the date added/modified/completed column will be displayed
5) Bug fixes

This a good job for business users (the main focus of the concept of collaboration). But do not forget the users personal (one-person-to-many tasks that do not use collaboration) and the various suggestions made by users!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Don't worry. We are not forgetting about the 90% of our users who do not use collaboration.
Peter Scott

Posted: Jul 04, 2012
Awesome update. I can guess at how much work it must have been. Thank you!

Has the API changed any for this?
Alister Cruickshanks

Fantastic. This will be a huge help to all our staff who use Toodledo, and we look forward to the future additions to this.

One small question....can you look at adding a dropdown box when you choose 'Reassign' to reassign to a particular folder.

All our staff have "Folder view" by default, and don't really check the "No Folder". So, if we reassign them tasks, we would like those tasks to appear in a particular folder.

The other way around it, would be to have a "Default re-assign folder" in settings, and depending on what that folder is set to, any reassigned tasks appear in that folder.

Many thanks again for the superb task sharing!
JCarl

It is good to see progress on collaboration. I have two major requests, one previously mentioned.

1. A User should be able to give someone the ability to change or at least add to shared tasks in the people icon.

2. I agree with the previous post that subtasks need to be treated on their own. My suggestion is that if shared it always brings the Parent with it. In project management if subtasks exists or children they are usually what is necessary to complete the Parent so it is natural that the Parent should always show and be brought along. These are two pretty signficant constraints but great start and thank you for pushing this along.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.