ForumsNewsAddition of Start Date and Status

Addition of Start Date and Status
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 19, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for reminding us about this. Status and start-date are now on the "Add multiple tasks" page.

Status and start-date should now be available everywhere on Toodledo except for the import/export tools, which is where we are focusing our energy next.
Jon

Posted: May 20, 2008
It appears that the "hide deferred tasks" filter does not work for sub-tasks in the folder view. Is this on purpose? Jon
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for pointing this out. We'll look into it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Two tweaks just released.

1. Start date will now move forward along with due date when a task repeats.
2. the "hide deferred tasks" filter will now work for subtasks.
Darius_1296933579

Yeah! Thank you, especially for fix #1!
Neil Jensen

Posted: May 23, 2008
Could there be made an option to NOT have the tasks with a start date of 'tomorrow' show up today? Some tasks are daily repeating tasks, and I just think it would be a bit cleaner if it didn't just show up again when I complete today's. Thanks.
Darius_1296933579

Posted: May 23, 2008
Posted by Neil Jensen:
Could there be made an option to NOT have the tasks with a start date of 'tomorrow' show up today? Some tasks are daily repeating tasks, and I just think it would be a bit cleaner if it didn't just show up again when I complete today's. Thanks.

If you go to the Due Date view at the top of the page, there is a Today tab which does not show tasks due tomorrow and beyond. You can even set Due Date as your default view in Account Settings if this is the primary screen you are using in Toodledo throughout the day.
Renaud

Posted: May 26, 2008
Posted by Neil Jensen:

I also have some tasks that repeat every 2-3 days (chores), and monthly (pay the rent), and I strongly second this.

IMHO, the whole point of setting start dates for tasks is to get them out of the way (and off your mind) when you can't/shouldn't do anything about them yet.

Is there even any other meaning for a start date when talking about a task (as opposed to an event) ?

In most GTD programs I've used, "Hide future tasks" means just that: hide those tasks with a start date in the future (i.e. as soon as tomorrow).

If a task doesn't have a start date, then do according to the "hide future tasks" setting.

BTW, maybe now that Toodledo has a start date feature, this old setting should be renamed to "Hide tasks due in more than :".

And create another view/tab for "current / future / current + future", according to start date.
Darius_1296933579

Posted: May 26, 2008
Posted by Renaud:

BTW, maybe now that Toodledo has a start date feature, this old setting should be renamed to "Hide tasks due in more than :".

And create another view/tab for "current / future / current + future", according to start date.

Another idea is to add an additional filter to the Filters bar/menu...

Maybe something like a "Limit Start Date to Today" checkbox which shows all tasks with start dates today and before + all tasks without start dates.

Or a drop-down menu with "Limit to Start Date:" (1) None, (2) Today (includes today and before + no start date), (3) Tomorrow (inculdes tomorrow and before + no start date), and (4) All future (tomorrow + only).

Anyhow, I'm sure this area of Toodledo will be addressed sometime in the near future.

This message was edited May 26, 2008.
Renaud

Posted: May 27, 2008
Posted by patrick:
Posted by Renaud:

Another idea is to add an additional filter to the Filters bar/menu...

Maybe something like a "Limit Start Date to Today" checkbox which shows all tasks with start dates today and before + all tasks without start dates.

Or a drop-down menu with "Limit to Start Date:" (1) None, (2) Today (includes today and before + no start date), (3) Tomorrow (inculdes tomorrow and before + no start date), and (4) All future (tomorrow + only).

Anyhow, I'm sure this area of Toodledo will be addressed sometime in the near future.

Still a bit too complicated IMHO..

Again, what is the meaning of a "start date" for a task if not "I can't/don't want to do this until ../../.., please keep it out of my sight/mind till then " ?

I thought this was the reason why Toodledo added start dates, kinda disappointed right now.
aashinde

Thanks for the wonderful sort field - THIS is the GTD app that makes Toodledo so much better. Suggestion about default views:
1. can the sort field be made a choice in the default view? (allowing e.g. Doing then the waiting below it)
2. it would be wonderful to have a "save this as default view including the sort order" option allowing personalization. Thanks
Darius_1296933579

Posted by Renaud:

Still a bit too complicated IMHO..

Again, what is the meaning of a "start date" for a task if not "I can't/don't want to do this until ../../.., please keep it out of my sight/mind till then "

lol - you are right, way too complicated. But I do think this needs to happen in the filters bar. In keeping with the current Filters interface, a "Hide Future Start Dates" toggle.

When in doing mode, yes it would be preferred to not need to see tasks with start dates in the future. But I want to easily and quickly be able to look at the whole picture when I am in planning mode, which may happen several times per day.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is some unintended interaction (aka, a bug)between start-date and due-date in our logic that is causing this problem. We are going to fix it so that tasks with a start date that is not today or older will be properly hidden (if you have that filter turned on).
Renaud

Posted: May 29, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
There is some unintended interaction (aka, a bug)between start-date and due-date in our logic that is causing this problem. We are going to fix it so that tasks with a start date that is not today or older will be properly hidden (if you have that filter turned on).

Thanks, can't wait to see this fixed.

Also, I don't think subtask inherit their parent's start date, could that be added too ?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 29, 2008
It was fixed yesterday, but we forgot to mention it. Tasks with a start date that is not today or older will be hidden when the "hide future tasks" filter is enabled.
Renaud

Posted: May 30, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
It was fixed yesterday, but we forgot to mention it. Tasks with a start date that is not today or older will be hidden when the "hide future tasks" filter is enabled.

Thanks,

Do you think you can do something about subtasks too ?

If a subtask has no start date, but its parent does have a start date in the future, consider its subtasks as future too.
Darius_1296933579

Toodledo -

You may want to remove the "Hide Future Tasks" setting under Account Settings since it has no function anymore... or does it still affect tasks without start dates? << edit: just tried it and looks like it doesn't >>

Much more functional with this latest fix vs. work arounds. Thanks!

This message was edited May 30, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The "Hide Future Tasks" setting under Account Settings will still apply to tasks that don't have a start date but do have a future due-date.
MikeKDidIt

Posted: Jun 01, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
We have added two new fields that you can include on your to-do list to record important information about your tasks.

Start Date is a new field that you can use in conjunction with Due Date to bookend a project or event. Because tasks with a future start date will be hidden from your list, this can be a useful field to use when you don't want to be bothered about a task until a certain date has arrived. You can always reveal any hidden tasks by turning off your filters.

Status is a new field that can be used to keep track of projects that are active or deferred. There are a variety of values that you can choose from, and there is a new filter that can be used to hide tasks that are deferred or inactive.

I just wanted to say thanks for adding these two features.
- I don't use start date yet but I can see much value with tasks hiding until the start date
- Status is awesome.

This message was edited Jun 01, 2008.
jwelshjr

Posted: Jun 01, 2008
Hmmm... am I missing something? Why do subtasks not show up in a sorted list? Specifically, I'm trying to get a subtask marked with a status of "next action" to show in a view sorted on status. Only the top level task will sort correctly.

*Nevermind. I see now that subtasks sort at the subtask level. Makes sense, but it doesn't fit what I'm trying to do.

This message was edited Jun 01, 2008.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.