ForumsNews2010 Year In Review

2010 Year In Review
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 22, 2010
Score: 3 Reference
Happy Holidays!

2010 was another busy and challenging year for Toodledo. This year, we doubled the number of people using our services! Welcome to all the new users!

As a result of this growth, we spent a lot of the year working on our infrastructure and making sure that it scales smoothly. We made a lot of improvements, and even added 3 new servers to help spread out the load and improve our reliability. We are happy to report that we were able to achieve 99.99% uptime for the year. This means that Toodledo was offline for less than 1 hour, added up, for the entire year. This is better than some major websites. We will continue to invest energy into improving our speed and reliability.

In spite off all this time spent working behind the scenes, we did manage to release a ton of improvements to Toodledo that you may have noticed:

✔ Locations. This was a major effort to make Toodledo location aware. You can now create locations, assign them to tasks and then view your tasks on a map and see which tasks are nearby.
✔ Bi-directional sorting of tasks, ascending or descending
✔ Created API 2.0 to allow for a whole new generation of third-party apps that sync with Toodledo.
✔ The Hotlist can now be customized further to include starred tasks and tasks with a "Next Action" status.
✔ When adding a subtask you can now set all of the attributes of the subtask instead of just the title, and you have the choice of having your defaults applied or have the subtask inherit values from its parent.
✔ A popup tag picker that shows the most frequently used tags with auto-complete as you type.
✔ The context filter was upgraded to allow for filtering on multiple contexts at a time.
✔ Added a tag filter, so you can filter your lists by any number of tags.
✔ Ability to add folders, contexts, goals and locations on-the-fly when you are adding a new task.
✔ Ability to email a task from the website to someone.
✔ Addition of "permanent links" for tasks so that you can bookmark individual tasks.
✔ The "Started" tab was added to show tasks with a start-date that has arrived.
✔ Improved subtask behavior, made optimizations, and added account options for tweaking the way the subtask filters work.
✔ Firefox addon received a number of updates, including the ability to set start-time, star, reminders and location. Also the ability to use European style dates (DD/MM/YYY).
✔ The Notebook section remembers how you sorted your notes between page refreshes.
✔ Reminders/Alarms for tasks can now be sent to a Twitter account.
✔ File storage for Pro Plus accounts was increased to 5GB.
✔ Enhancements to the way tasks can be added via email and Twitter, including the ability for defaults to be set for certain fields.
✔ Ability to move the note and file attachment icons to the left side of the task.
✔ Added a new action menu and cleaned up and consolidated many functions into this menu.
✔ Sticky toolbars. The toolbars (filters, search, etc) will now remember their state between page refreshes.
✔ Improvements to keyboard shortcuts
✔ You can now add multiple tasks (and subtasks) without having to go to a separate page.
✔ Added an experimental feature to have the toolbars fixed to the top of the screen so that they remain visible when you scroll your list.
✔ Added the ability to view which third-party apps have access to your account, and block them if necessary.
✔ Made improvements to calendar syncing for iCal and Google Calendar. Alarms, locations and contexts are now synced and edits to your tasks are propagated more reliably.
✔ Improvements to switching to collaborator's list and staying on that list when you switch views.
✔ And literally hundreds of additional small improvements and bug fixes.

We also worked very hard to improve our iOS App, which has consistently been in the top 50 ranked productivity apps on the iTunes App Store. We have a lot of work left to do, but the iOS app is getting closer to feature-parity with the website. Here is what we added this year:

✔ iPad Support
✔ Notebook Support
✔ Multitasking Support
✔ Location awareness with locations, maps, distance sorting and proximity alerts
✔ Passcode lock to keep your data private
✔ Multi-sort and bi-directional sort
✔ Context Filter added
✔ Tag Filter added
✔ Dual badges allow you to see filtered and total tasks inside a list
✔ Multi-line titles in lists allow you to see the entire task title
✔ Lists are visually grouped with dividers
✔ Clone tasks to quickly make a copy
✔ Task notes are immediately visible instead of tapping "Read Note" button
✔ Bigger Fonts general setting
✔ Support for high resolution Retina display
✔ Sync in the background
✔ Calendar based date picker for choosing a due-date
✔ Italian, French, German, Spanish, Japanese and Dutch translations
✔ Alarms can now be triggered by the device instead of using remote push notifications.
✔ Add folders, contexts and goals on the fly when editing a task
✔ View default values that will be set when adding a task
✔ Customizable Hotlist
✔ And a bunch of additional small improvements and bug fixes.

We appreciate all the support and suggestions that we have received from everyone. We are striving to make Toodledo the best productivity tool on the internet, and we have big plans for 2011 and beyond. Thanks to everyone for making Toodledo a success.

Happy New Year!

This message was edited Dec 22, 2010.
ericbschultz

Score: 1 Reference
Great service, guys. Keep it up.
huwevans projecthelm.com

Score: 1 Reference
I live in this application, so thanks for all your great work. Just bought an iphone so I can use that app as well.

Thanks to all.

- Huw
Michael Crouse

Posted: Dec 23, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Everything is working well. I have only used your service for a short time, but I am impressed with the service and the capability it gives me to practice GTD across multiple platforms, from my Windows machine at work to my iPhone and Macbook at home.

Thank you for all you have done.

Merry Christmas!
Michael
Salgud

Thanks for a great product, for constantly and conscientiously improving that product, and for the excellent, consistent, prompt support and timely updates in these forums. Please, just keep doing what you're doing!
Walter

Have to agree with the others. Great product; only to-do list manager that I've stayed with, hard-copy or electronic.
kathy

Posted: Jan 01, 2011
This is a great product. I use this app (on my iPod Touch) constantly. It's really helped improve my organization and life.
Andrew A

Posted: Jan 02, 2011
@kathy I'd have to agree. Even when I fall off the wagon, Toodledo is a trusted system and I can come back and pick up all the threads without too much additional stress. Further, I think Toodledo has earned the trusted system moniker. They seem to treat uptime with the level of importance it requires for a tasks system.
jdudley.ie

Posted: Jan 04, 2011
Been using Toodledo for a few days now and I absolutely love it! I have also used many different systems including Remember the Milk for a few months and Todoist etc before coming here.

Among the huge number of things that I love about it, I really love that you can set daily tasks that are contributing to a goal, e.g. Become an early riser, and then check off each day that I achieve the goal and view the progress as a chain so I can see how I am doing each time I review my goals.

And then the cherry on the cake is I can view the goal tab for that goal with its list of current and historical completed tasks and see detailed progress of the days that I have completed it, and I can add notes that I can see without having to click on the task every time.

It would be nice to be able to modify the completed time but it's not the end of the world - I am being pleasantly surprised each day at all of the things I can do with this tool, and with the lack of limitations that one usually finds when one tries to do something "outside the box".

Of course the interface could be updated, but I am even getting used to the functional interface that is there, even if it is not that pretty.

Love it and thanks! :-)

This message was edited Jan 04, 2011.
curtisalderson

Posted: Jan 06, 2011
Finally went ahead and purchased a Pro account. I'd been holding out because I wanted something a little more integrated with Google and Gmail; and I'm still not completely comfortable with the UI; none-the-less, this is easily the best product on the the market today, and believe me, I've looked.

What really puts Toodledo over the top for me is the engagement put forward by the developer. The regular and forthright communication on top of diligent and meaningful updates from a developer are signs of a product with a bright future.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when Google finally comes out with gmail's improved task manager; but for the time being Toodledo has my business; in more ways than one.
Boxin

Posted: Jan 28, 2011
There are two major improvements still pending, one of which is smart search available directly from the quick search box (search operators supported), and the other is real web2.0 implementation (not necessarily to refresh the page to see the change), these two things are just where RTM outdoes Toodledo. Hopefully they can be considered very soon.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2011.
HowardKeziah

Posted: Feb 23, 2011
I'm impressed with the functionality of Toodledo, but it has a very dated look and feel. Please spend a little money on a good designer.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 23, 2011
Posted by HowardKeziah:
I'm impressed with the functionality of Toodledo, but it has a very dated look and feel. Please spend a little money on a good designer.

In case you haven't seen this: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/4649/0/please-hire-a-ui-designer.html
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.