ForumsQuestionsOpen Links in New Page

Open Links in New Page
Technutz

Posted: Dec 08, 2013
Score: 3 Reference
So for a while I have been annoyed at losing my place in Toodledo because of clicking links that open in the same window as Toodledo within tasks etc..

I read where Jake was thinking about fixing this a few years ago in a post and so I looked else where.

I found this Chrome Extension that does what I need and I thought it was so awesome I would post. Search for "Open Link To NewTab +" in the chrome store.

It is simple and does what I needed. Open a link in a new tab from a task! Yeah!

Ok I am easily amused...back to work I go.
chr.ver

Posted: Dec 09, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

You actually don't need an extension or addon for this. In Firefox and Chromium for instance you can click any link with the middle mouse button to open in new tab. No configuration needed. (But of course you could change this if you'd want to in the browser settings.)

Rgds,
Chris
martingchapman

Posted: Dec 10, 2013
For Firefox users there is the "Right Links" Addon at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/right-links/?src=api
A very useful addon that, amongst other things, lets you do a long left click to open in a new window.

Chris,
Thanks for the tip regards the middle button, did not know about this, works a treat in Firefox.

Regards - Martin.
john

Posted: Jan 09, 2014
I NEVER want to replace my Toodledo task list page with a web page, but that's exactly what happens when I click on a link in a task. Please make it EASY to open a new page when I click on a link - e.g., just like everything in Google does (GMail, Docs, ...).

I know that I can do this myself if I remember to use the right combination of command/ctrl/option/meta/cokebottle keys + mouse buttons, or some magic extension on each machine (and machine type) I use. But which one was that again on this one?

I understand that some users may like the current brain-dead behavior ;-), so it's OK if you don't want to force it on everybody. But I really, really want to change it by default. So how about making it settable?

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
Salgud

Posted by john:

I know that I can do this myself if I remember to use the right combination of command/ctrl/option/meta/cokebottle keys + mouse buttons, or some magic extension on each machine (and machine type) I use. But which one was that again on this one?

I understand that some users may like the current brain-dead behavior ;-), so it's OK if you don't want to force it on everybody. But I really, really want to change it by default. So how about making it settable?
Thanks.

It may be a while before this option gets added, so from one brain-dead user to another, it's not quite that complicated. Look down at your mouse. You'll note 2 buttons (ok, maybe 3), one to the right, one to the left (and maybe one in the center). If you're right-handed, and normally click on the left button, then point to the link and click on the right button (aka, "right clicking"), and select "open in new tab".
If you're left handed, let me know and I'll send detailed instructions.:)
daniel_h

Posted: Jan 10, 2014
and if you happen to use a mac trackpad, then tapping with two fingers instead of one achieves a right click...
chr.ver

Posted: Jan 11, 2014
... and just for clarify. The scroll wheel you might have in the middle of your mouse is most of the times the "middle" button. So you can press the wheel iso scrolling and this will be a middle click. This will open the link in a new tab.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.