ForumsQuestionsProblem with timezone

Problem with timezone
Steve

Posted: Aug 07, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
New Toodledo user, fast coming to grips with it (I think)!

I am in Australia. Settings shows the correct time for me - currently 7.40am on August 8. Hotlist shows today's items fine. But if I set up a search with just "due date is today", only stuff from August 7 shows up. Looks like search isn't properly taking notice of the local time.

Any ideas?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the bug report.

Try changing your search to "Due date is in the next 0 days"
Steve

Thanks - that worked well. By the way, I think this problem applies to any expression, like today, tomorrow etc. I can't use the "in the next n days" method to get tomorrow's tasks (by specifying 1 day), because it seems to show some from my today and also some from tomorrow (does 1 day mean a 24 hour period from now?).

Really the only reason I want this to work is because I'd like due date-type tabs that also include undated items, so I can catch the tasks that mistakenly weren't given a due date, rather than having to periodically check the no due-date tab.

I do have another couple of queries. Say I'm in the hotlist. If I check something off or change a due date on a task, do I then have to refresh the page to refresh the list (or, for example press the hotlist tab again)?

And on a related thing, if I do check a task off or change a due date on the hotlist, then refresh it, I often see a message at the bottom saying that my filters are preventing the display of some tasks (the number of tasks that I actually changed). Pressing "turn off filters" in the message has no effect. The changes I have made should validly remove the tasks from the hotlist, so the message seems to be false. If I go to another view and then back into hotlist, the message disappears.

Thanks for the quick help!

This message was edited Aug 08, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 08, 2008
That is because the website only counts the number of tasks inside a tab when you reload the page, not when you click the tab again. So, when you add a task, the counting can be a little off until you reload the page. We plan to fix this little bug soon.
Steve

Posted: Aug 09, 2008
Thanks. Sorry to belabor the point, but what exactly is the "bug" part? The way the page must be refreshed and/or the fact that the message pops up saying my filters are preventing the display of some tasks, even though they're not?

Is there any future in having tasks automatically removed from the list in some way, rather than only when you refresh?

Do you have any idea when the other bug might be addressed, regarding the use of phrases like "today" in searches? I really like my lists to include both overdue and undated tasks, and none of the canned views seem to do this.

Thanks again for the great help.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 09, 2008
The bug is that when a task is added/edited/checked/deleted, Toodledo does not update the count of the number of tasks inside the tab, until the page is reloaded. The result is that if you refresh a tab by clicking on it again (instead of reloading the page), the message at the bottom of the screen may come up because it is comparing the old count to the new count erroneously. We plan to fix this, but it is a bit complicated.

If you use the search view, you can make saved search that will contain tasks that are both overdue and undated. That should do the trick.

Hope that helps
Steve

Posted: Aug 10, 2008
I can test for undated just by "due date is (blank)". But sorry, how do I test for overdue? Presumably I can't say "before today" because of the bug with timezone that I started this thread with. I can say "due date in the last 100 days", but i can only use that in a "today" type saved search. I plan to have a saved search for each day of the week (to make it easier to see what tasks are coming up on each day of the coming week) and I'd like to include tasks that are overdue as of the instant you click on the tab for that day (i.e. tasks with a due date before "today"). Hope I'm making sense!

Thanks.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You are correct, to search for overdue, you do a search for "due date in the last 100 days" and to search for no duedate you do a search for "due date is (blank)".
Steve

Yes, but I'd like to set up views for each day of the week that includes overdues. Say today's Monday, and I go to the Wednesday view. If Wednesday includes a search for "due in the last 100 days", it includes tasks from Monday (as well as overdues from before Monday). What it really needs is "due before today" to include overdues, but "today" has the timezone problem!

Is there any timescale for fixing the "today", "tomorrow" etc.. problem?

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 11, 2008
I am pretty sure that Toodledo cannot do what you are suggesting, but this isn't related to timezones, this is because Toodledo has no way to pretend that it is a different day of the week. Just so I understand you more clearly, lets say that it is Monday and you click on your "Wednesday view". What tasks would you like to see on that view?
Steve

It can definitely do it. Suppose it's Monday. For the Wednesday view I just want to see tasks due this coming Wednesday. A simple "due date is Wednesday" works just fine. But I'd also like to include anything that is *currently* overdue. That is, "due date is before today". Note this really is before today, not before Wednesday! But this is where I come up against the bug where "today" misses today's events in my timezone, at least for much of the day (I'm GMT +10). Similarly for "tomorrow". If we could get this bug fixed, I'd be very happy!

Thanks for bearing with me...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, I understand now. Thanks for explaining it. So what you want is "Due date is tomorrow" OR "Due date is in the last 100 days". And "tomorrow" is not having the timezone properly applied. I'll put this on our bug list.

Thanks
Steve

Correct. Or even "due date is Wednesday" OR "due date is before today", but "today" has the timezone bug.

As a new user, I'm not sure how quickly you address bugs like this. Can you give me an idea of what to expect?

I'm really enjoying using Toodledo. I have always been skeptical of using web-based services, but apart from a couple of times when response has been slow, it's been as good as a local app. Have it synced up with "To Do" on my iPhone, and with the exception of not being able to use contexts because the iPhone app doesn't support them (yet) that's working really well.

Thanks again.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We don't comment on when we will have certain bugs/features implemented because that would limit our flexibility, but I have added this to our to-do list. To be totally honest, since this bug only affects a small number of people, it may not receive immediate attention. We have some other things that we are working on right now that have a larger impact. But, I assure you that it is logged in our to-do list, and we will get to it.

Thanks
Steve

Thanks - I understand. Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't been reported before. Presumably anyone who is ahead of the US will see this problem pretty immediately. Maybe not many use saved searches with phrases!

Is there some way I can track when things get implemented/changed, maybe an RSS feed or something?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, you are correct. Very few people use saved searches with phrases. The due-date field is intended for an absolute date, and this is how 99.9% of people use it. But, since we do allow phrases, we will make sure this bug gets fixed.

Also, we have a RSS feed on our news page.
http://www.toodledo.com/info/news.php
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 12, 2008
So, yeah, umm, turns out it was a really easy fix once I took a peak at the code. So it's fixed. :)

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/488/0/a-few-more-timezone-fixes.html

Sorry for the run around.
Steve

That's great! Thank you so much. Works like a charm.

A bit off-topic, but can you give me an idea of how your site is maintained? What sort of data backups are there, redundancy, off-site backups etc. are there? I definitely want to entrust my valuable todo's to toodeldo, but need to know how "safe" they are!

Thanks again.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The servers use RAID drives to protect against simple failures. We also do a nightly offsite backup of everything to protect against major disasters. We have never lost a task due to server problems.
Steve

Posted: Aug 13, 2008
That's nice to know! Thanks for the great support. I'm a happy toodeldoer now, and will upgrade my account.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.