ForumsQuestionsMore efficient use of screen space in Toodledo App Please

More efficient use of screen space in Toodledo App Please
Linh

Posted: Jun 15, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I just downloaded the update for the Toodledo app on my iphone. While I'm happy to have my notebook synced, I find the layout wastes a lot of screen space, when screen is such a premium on the iPhone. Suggestions:

- Find a better means to change the name and folder of a notebook. These aren't done often enough that they should take up two permanent rows in the notebook. Perhaps use dropdown menus to free up these two rows.

- Somehow create a better interface design to navigate between Tasks / Notebooks / Settings. Again, these take up a permanent row in the app. A dropdown menu here would work better too. The dropdown menu can sit in where the Toodledo branding is (I'm a Toodledo fan, and don't need to be constantly reminded of or persuaded by the branding).

I commend the first release of the notebook feature, but the interface is too cluttered, while other interface objects (such as Toodledo branding) doesn't add value to the usage in the app.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
Linh

Thanks, Toodledo for being receptive. I also have a few more suggestions:

1) For subscribers, if the app doesn't support a secure connection during syncing, can you implement that?

2) I've been using Appigo's Notebook app. What I like about it is that it allows me password protect sensitive notebooks. Sometimes I lend out my phone and would feel safer if Toodledo app allows password access to certain notebooks too. And especially on the iPad when people like to play with it, explore, and tend to use longer, this feature is even more important.
Claudio

Posted by Linh:
1) For subscribers, if the app doesn't support a secure connection during syncing, can you implement that?
From http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1614/-7266/looking-to-store-secure-passwords.html
The iPhone app uses a secure connection by default when syncing.
TheGriff_2

For that matter it might be nice to have a lock for the whole application, not just the notebooks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 16, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
Victor

Posted: Jun 21, 2010
I would also like to see the new layout changed or reverted to the old layout with the Notebook and Settings as tabs in the main menu.
schlossc

Posted: Jun 23, 2010
Posted by Linh:
***I agree the interface between iPhone and computer don't work well either. I love the look on the iPad and find it useful but I'm unable to cut and paste and when using the computeri can barely read this screen as a Widget I don't find this succesful. It's formatted for Ipad so why not the computer too?

I just downloaded the update for the Toodledo app on my iphone. While I'm happy to have my notebook synced, I find the layout wastes a lot of screen space, when screen is such a premium on the iPhone.

Suggestions:

- Find a better means to change the name and folder of a notebook. These aren't done often enough that they should take up two permanent rows in the notebook. Perhaps use dropdown menus to free up these two rows.

- Somehow create a better interface design to navigate between Tasks / Notebooks / Settings. Again, these take up a permanent row in the app. A dropdown menu here would work better too. The dropdown menu can sit in where the Toodledo branding is (I'm a Toodledo fan, and don't need to be constantly reminded of or persuaded by the branding).

I commend the first release of the notebook feature, but the interface is too cluttered, while other interface objects (such as Toodledo branding) doesn't add value to the usage in the app.
Transisto

Posted: Jun 24, 2010
Score: -4 Reference
Congratulation for being able to do a bar, now make it useful and fast... it's embarrassing.
chazzjh

Posted: Jul 08, 2010
I don't use notebooks so the screen space taken up by the navigation bar at the bottom is wasted for me. My suggestion is to use this bar similar to the way the iPod app does. Implement 5 default options:
1. All tasks
2. Hotlist
3 Starred
4. Notebook
5. More

Then on the "More" page show all of the other items, i.e. sync, settings, contexts, folders, etc. Then use an edit button like the iPod app to allow them to be moved onto the bottom bar to fit each individuals working style. This would replace the current main task screen and make the nav bar useful for everyone.

This way I could replace "notebooks" with "contexts" on the bar which fits my working style. I could then switch directly between "all tasks" and "starred" (which I do a lot) without having to go through the main screen every time. This would be more consistent with the way the web site works as well.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Transisto

nice Chazzjh,

I'd like to add that the sync button should return to the first page, Or make it so that tapping setting twice would sync.

Think of all the people that make a modif on the web then leave the house. with the app running 100% of the time...

Well,,, if all 5 todo app I use have "sync" on the bottom bar, It should be a reason...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 09, 2010
You can already sync with 2 taps. Tap on Settings. Then tap on Sync button. With the auto-sync options enabled, you shouldn't ever have to manually sync anymore.
Transisto

Posted: Jul 11, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
You can already sync with 2 taps. Tap on Settings. Then tap on Sync button. With the auto-sync options enabled, you shouldn't ever have to manually sync anymore.

"2 Tap" ??? it's one too much and you seems to forget the 5-6 step required to get to the app in the first place.

* They are at bottom and top of the screen, As said earlier my thumb can't reach that top sync button.

"auto-sync options" ???
* there is no such option,
* Sync on Startup : Mine is ALWAYS running !
* Sync on edit : I edit ELSEWHERE most of the time! (another app or Web)

*What if I'm on the iPod touch and there is no connection ?

* There is now nothing where it was before.

Why should we change our habits for something that is obviously worst ?

Again If all 5 todo app I use have "sync" always accessible. It should be for a reason...... clueless

This message was edited Jul 11, 2010.
feasel

Posted: Jul 11, 2010
The new Task/Notebook/Settings bar seems to take up a lot of space. It would be nice if there was some setting to make it smaller.

Perhaps a setting to show just the icons, and leave off the words underneath them. Or to show just the words. You don't really need both once you're familiar with the UI.

I know these buttons are standard GUI widgets, but perhaps there is some room for customization so that something like the above could be implemented?

Just a suggestion. I'm sure i'm not the only one who feels like there is a lot less room to work now with the bar there.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.