BJones_3

Posted: Feb 15, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Sorry, redundant post. Won't do again.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012.
Salgud

Posted: Feb 15, 2012
I gave my answer to your question in your other post on this subject. It's best not to multi-post in these forums, as it mostly created confusion and some won't reply to either if it's multi-posted.
gstarrett

Posted: Jul 02, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Would love to see dependencies on tasks -- specifically if the "waiting" status could be tripped to "next action" once it's dependent task(s) are done!

edouard.blin

Posted: Jul 03, 2012
yep, am switching to nirvana and exploring the task dependencies features away from Toodledo.
RayZorback

Posted: Jul 11, 2012
This would go a LOOOONG way to improve my workflow with ToodleDo. Please add this feature!
mbrucke

Posted: Aug 17, 2012
Hi,

I started looking around for a platform which is able to implement task dependencies (which is something I need). As I have a pro plus subscription with ToodleDo I would be really interested, when this feature will be available here. Seeing the history of this thread I am pretty sure that it will never be available her (BTW it is easy to implement). Conclusion for me: move to another platform (which supports all the things I need)

Any comment from "the officials" here?

best

mats
Jake

Toodledo Founder
This is still on our to-do list. I know that it may seem easy to implement, but it is actually quite difficult from a UI point of view. We will get to it eventually, but I do not have an ETA.
Salgud

To quote Dilbert's boss, when asked how he came up with the time estimates for the tasks on his departmental schedule, "I started with the assumption that anything I don't know how to do must be easy."
ryaske

Posted: Sep 18, 2012
still waiting on this over a year later.

as well as this one

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/10144/0/way-to-save-view-for-home-work.html

i dont think i will be resubscribing next renewal.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 18, 2012
Sorry.

It is still on our to-do list, but we do not have an ETA. You may be interested in this list of alternatives to Toodledo. Not many of them have task dependencies, but there are a few that may work for you.

https://docs.google.com/a/olefsky.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajqb7gJHrdlUdGNNMUUxNnpQNkM5NGhYNnE1NzdxR nc#gid=0

Keep in mind that Toodledo has a lot of other stuff (that you can see in the above link) that you may miss when you switch.
ryaske

Posted: Oct 26, 2012
Fixed: Link to the Comparison posted by Jake

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012.
rjstewart

Posted: Jan 15, 2013
Bump!

I do a number of projects at the same time and need to keep myself organized. Almost all my tasks are sequential in nature. For example,

- Order Server
- Receive Server
- Inventory Server
- Unbox and Rack Server
- Install OS

etc etc etc

Without dependencies, I might as well use Outlook tasks.
jzohrab

Posted: Feb 03, 2013
Rebump. I actually don't understand how this was overlooked in the GTD book ... If you have a project with multiple steps, then of course they have to be done in order! And by project, i mean that in the gtd sense.

The other workarounds mentioned are hacks, in my opinion. They work, but aren't quite right. I use them, and they're not 100 percent workable.

Alas. This has been requested for two plus years. It's not going to happen.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 04, 2013
You can order subtasks sequentially my turning on manual subtask sorting in your account settings. This isn't the same as task dependency, but it should work for the case that you described.
mike.patrick

Just adding to the grumbling: I really need this option too.
jzohrab

Hey Jake, thanks for the response. I tried that out, it unfortunately didn't work well.

I use folders for projects, so to have manual sorting of tasks in a project, I'd need to have a single root task in that folder, and then put the tasks in that root as subtasks. It gets annoying. The iPad and iPhone apps don't support subtasks very well either, at least as far as I've seen.

Also, with task dependency, it would be best if the system would handle dependencies correctly, and treat the first item as the "Next Action", and block subsequent actions (unless they aren't dependent, of course).

D. Allen's point of the "next action" for projects was not to pull a task out of a random grab bag of items, but to identify the starting point of a queue of tasks. I'm almost certain that he came up with GTD as a paper-based method, so there's no sense of "sorting" items anyway: what you write in pen is the order you're doing stuff in.

I've worked in software for a few decades now, and I understand the difficulties of the field: architectural issues, code rot, performance, limited resources, an ever-growing list of feature requests and bug enhancements. On the surface, this feature request looks simple, but I'm not going to assume that it is, or you'd have done it. I am curious to know what the roadblocks are. Is it possible that the Toodledo team assumes that there will be a problem where there is none? Perhaps you're envisioning use cases that are only used by a tiny minority, who wouldn't use the task dependency feature anyway. I don't know, but I'd like to explore options.

I partly understand the fact that the Toodledo team doesn't broadcast their schedule of improvements, in that you don't want to have groups arguing over what features are necessary. I feel that you are doing your members a disservice, though; by having a completely opaque process, I feel locked out. I am your client, and like this software, and want it to succeed. With more transparency, I can make informed decisions as to what I'd like to do ... which is to stay, if possible.

Thanks Jake, I'd really like to see the Toodledo team reevaluate their position on not sharing development plans and schedules. I would rather know the team's priorities, and potentially disagree and move on, than be told that my request is somewhere in a queue, and have no idea where it is. Mind you, given that this request has been out there for a few years, I doubt it's coming next week! Which is a shame, it really does negatively impact this otherwise fantastic site (and mobile apps, which are great). I'll gladly assist in any way I can, you have my details, please contact me if I can help (I'd be surprised if you did, but the offer's there).

Thanks very much,

jz
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.