ForumsTips & TricksGmail filtering to create tasks via email

Gmail filtering to create tasks via email
joshroman

Posted: May 29, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I receive several weekly digest emails in my Gmail account. I'd like to read when in the appropriate context, and currently manually forward them to Toodledo with the @Home context tag. However, I would prefer to have Gmail automatically filtered them out of my inbox and send them to Toodledo with the context of "Home".

I can get Gmail to forward them to my toodledo email address and auto-create the task, but the only way to assign a context is to add the context formatting (i.e. @home) to the body of the email, which I can't do via a Gmail filter.

Any way (or plans) to allow context & folder assignment in the email address? e.g. [email protected]

I know I can always just auto dump them in w/o a context and manually adjust during processing, but would love one less step. Between Jott, my iPhone and the FF sidebar, I am at near ubiquitous capture!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 29, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
jmdurant

Posted: Jun 06, 2008
absolutely love this idea...i could have my bills automatically filtered to my todo list when they become available. since usually certain types of emails (bills, notifications) are usually the same, allowing folder/context/priority (!) would allow one less step in the filtering of the inbox. would love to see [email protected] for high priorty or .c.context or f.foldername....could be really helpful!
jmdurant

Posted: Jun 06, 2008
and this also could be the answer for filtering Jott stuff automatically. You could create a contact in jott "[email protected]" and name the contact "High Priority" when you call jott and ask for "High Priority" then your task will be automatically filtered and instantly available to you on your hotlist.
InfoJeff

Posted: Jul 09, 2008
As a workaround until the ability is added to toodledo, here is an idea on how to use the saved search feature:

When you add a task by quickly forwarding it by email to toodledo, the task has a description without assigning values for all fields.
So set saved searches to look at tasks that are missing a due date, context or folder.

I posted an idea and screen shot here:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/339/-1450/inbox-equals-tasks-missing-certain-fields.html

This message was edited Jul 09, 2008.
roninj

Posted: Aug 06, 2008
I have done something similar using Rules set in Apple Mail (for OS X). Whenever I get a bill (which is usually from the same sender each month, and which usually has the same subject), I redirect that message to Toodledo. As has been mentioned, it still needs to be manually processed, yet the todo already has the link to the bill in the task's Notes.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.