ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
Proximo

Posted: Feb 10, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Toodledo can use a make over on both the Web and iPhone app.

Toodledo has the power and functions without questions. I am Getting Things Done with Toodledo more than anything else I tried, so I am thankful for it.

Just want a new coat of paint and an overhaul of the UI to make in enjoyable to use. :-)
Michael L

Posted: Feb 10, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
I agree with most of the users. Toodledo, while is the probably the best thing since sliced bread, needs a makeover.
However it does not affect me as much as it does the other users.

I have used RTM before and while it is laid out very well and is without a doubt pretty, it lacks a lot of the functionality that I have in Toodledo.

I use Stylish with a script name Nonimage and I am happy :)

Just my $0.02
Andrew

Posted: Feb 15, 2010
Ok, so Toodledo needs a UI designer. But what if no professional wants to dedicate his time for free? Then someone else has to step up and take action.

I was thinking that I could be that person.

I only know a little bit about making webpages, but I do have a little experience and I feel that I can take on a good challenge. Since I am a student, I have a little more time than a husband with kids. However, I need some guidance as to what language to use and a really general outline of what exactly a UI designer would have to create. (i.e. what actually happens in the current Toodledo interface when you add a task etc.)

I think what I would have to do is sign up for a new domain and new test Toodledo account. Any suggestions for the domain name?
Bartosz Gajek

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
there is no "free" in professional world: they have a product that we are paying for so if they want to upgarde it to be more visualy pleasing then someone must get paid
Andrew

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
Posted by garroteman:
there is no "free" in professional world: they have a product that we are paying for so if they want to upgarde it to be more visualy pleasing then someone must get paid

I'm sure that none of the third-party developers on the "Tools & Services" page were paid.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 17, 2010
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by garroteman:

I'm sure that none of the third-party developers on the "Tools & Services" page were paid.

True and many Professionals believe in Open Source for the sake of creating great software.
Bartosz Gajek

then I guess we can wait for some savior that will do it for free.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
wtrekell

Funny. I AM a web designer/developer and have considered contacting Toodledo to discuss the possibility of fixing up their UI's to add to my portfolio (when I finally find the time to put it together) and to get some hands on experience with an iPhone app. I couldn't, however, find a way to contact them on the website (granted, I didn't look too terribly hard since anyone in Usability would tell you I shouldn't have to).

http://www.williamtrekell.com/
cjsmithmd

Posted: Feb 22, 2010
This is my first post after a year of using the product. I really wanted to inform those who are considering toodledo that is is a really good product. It took me a long time to begin mastering all the functionality and I am still learning. However I have to say that after a year of using the proplus version there is nothing it does not do that I wanted and showed me some neat things that have really helped me (attaching files to tasks for example). I am not qualified to say much about the UI but can comment that the learning curve is quite steep. (a bit overwhelming at first) Despite this I can fully endorse the product if you want a full functioning 'to do list' that goes beyond the basics. BTW, usual disclaimers: no association at all with the producers.
chrisj

Just another new user weighing in to say, yeah, the ToodleDo UI is godawful.

(Which is not to say that any other particular program is necessarily better, contra some other posts. I've been comparing a lot of Mac-based task management programs lately, both desktop and online, and IMHO the RTM experience (for example) is even less intuitive than this one. By far.)

Instead of just griping, let me offer some specific examples:
* Folders & Contexts should NOT be combined on a single line in the collapsible sidebar
* If they're over there, then Tags should be over there too. IOW, all the obvious tools for how to arrange and manage your tasks should be available in one unified place.
* Many of the items that *are* prominent in the sidebar are just single-use items of information (e.g., "Scheduler"), and have no business being someplace so prominent.
* The "add task" button is all but hidden in the upper right-hand corner.
* It took me forever to figure out how to adjust my column widths so they'd all fit on my screen -- the tiny "customize" icons off on the right are absurdly easy to miss. (And this is functionality that's a complete no-brainer in almost every other column-using product you'll find on a computer screen.)
* The "Help" page appears to be very useful. God knows how I found it, though (and I bookmarked it as soon as I did), because it's not linked in any obvious place on the home page.

I could go on. The functionality here looks really impressive, and the price is right, and the choice of syncable iPhone apps is appealing... but I'm asking the PTB, whoever they are: please, PLEASE have someone familiar with UI standards redesign this site into something more elegant and intuitive.

(There would, inevitably, be some resistance from folks who have put time and effort into climbing the learning curve of the current version. Give 'em something clearly better, though, and I think that would subside quickly... and be drowned out by the gratitude from newer users.)
PeterW 

Posted by chrisj:
Instead of just griping, let me offer some specific examples:

Great post, chrisj. Very constructive suggestions and I would guess that some are relatively easily doable within the current interface.

I also had difficulty finding the Help page. Now I know where it is it's not so bad but it certainly isn't obvious - click on "Help & News" at the bottom of the menu bar, then click on "Help Topics" which is on the right hand side just above the "Contact Us" box.
elainachen11

Posted: Feb 24, 2010
Posted by Vin Thomas:
Posted by PSzobar:
I have to agree. I'm a new user, as of yesterday, and this UI makes me cringe. I'm testing this program for a week to see if I can deal with it -- but blergh. If I can find a less cringe-worthy option with the same functionality, I'm going to ditch toodledo.

Try this: http://bit.ly/toodledoish

It's not a complete fix, but it helps.

awesome!!! thanks. it looks really great.

I definitely think TD could use a UI upgrade.
Homesick

Posted: Feb 25, 2010
Hi all!
Im a pro user and this is my first year, love the Toodledo, new on this forum.

I've Tried Nozbe and been with the RTM for quite a while, nothing for me. I moved here from RTM because of Toodledo being more tweakable for my taste.

Regarding the UI matter - oh well, it's not _that_ terrible, specialy now with the Vintom's nice dark theme... but, I wouldn't mind paying the "one time" extra yearly fee, and I'd stick to TD even if you charged us more for the two pro accounts - if the UI is redone in a more professional way.

I'm sorry I don't have any real suggestions here but I'd like to ask for one thing - whatever you do with the interface, if you ever do it, please leave the option for people to stick to the old one, in case they want to.

This is just like being able to skip any upgrades of programs we once bought and like the way they work for us...

Best wishes to all!
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 25, 2010
Posted by elainachen11:
I definitely think TD could use a UI upgrade.

For those who might not have noticed...
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/7/4989/0/toodledo-is-hiring.html
http://www.toodledo.com/info/jobs.php
stan.friedman

Posted: Feb 28, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
I bought and tried Omnifocus and appreciated the UI and power. I switched to Toodledo because it integrates with pocket informant and google. I've tried to leave toodledo behind because of its interface, but keep coming back because of its integration.
garfield

Posted: Mar 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Just a quick plug here - I worked on the Toodlethings theme not too long ago. You can find it here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/54863

Also - this works with Chrome as well. Just click install and it should work right off the bat. Hope this helps out some people!
Mills

Posted: Mar 04, 2010
I'm a product manager for a large video website. I, like others, started on Omnifocus because I thought their UI made sense and had a intuitive feel. Unfortunately, they continue to tie themselves to the Mac and an antiquated client/server model.

Being the age of asynchronous webservices and "cloud computing", (thanks google!), I searched for web-centric options that were platform agnostic and had iPhone apps. I looked at RTM, Nozbe, and others, but their feature-sets were weak compared to Omnifocus. After trialing Toodledo, you can really see the power underneath the interface. As a geek I love that. However, because the website is not user friendly, I primarily use Appigo's Todo app to interact with the Toodledo services. My wife took one spin on the website and won't go near it again, she sticks with the Todo app.

Jake, I think you need to decide what you want to accomplish with Toodledo. Do you want to focus only on the backend and APIs? If so, license your APIs to other products. For example, Yodlee makes money by powering the transactional information of financial websites like mvelopes, Mint (formerly), etc., but leaves the UX to them. This sounds like it would play to your dev strengths.

Or, do you want to continue to have end-user subscriptions be your bread and butter? If so, you have an opportunity to grow your userbase and income, but you're going to have to spend some $$ to make it (or, barter/trade). You need to have a team that looks at customer needs, the competitive landscape, and creates subsequent requirements (product person) that inform IA and designs (UX/design person) which in turn drive development (you). Marketing wouldn't hurt either.

Or... are you totally happy with how your business is progressing? If that's the case, rock on, as it appears most people in this thread will continue using Toodledo... until something better comes along.

Thanks,
Stephen
Homesick

Posted: Mar 08, 2010
Mills, you're right on it!

Garfield, thank you kindly for taking the time for making this Things Greasemonkey theme, works great and looks really really fine.
Thanks!
tvchris

Posted: Mar 08, 2010
Hey if you guys haven't checked out nivanahq.com, you owe it to yourselves to do so...
God, the charming good looks of Nirvana, plus the brains and brawn of toodledo... just imagine!

-Chris
Homesick

Posted: Mar 09, 2010
You've left out an "r"..... ;-)
http://www.nirvanahq.com/
Looks nice though, will explore..
Thanks for the info!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.