ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
sam

Posted: Nov 23, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I was turned off by the Toodledo UI at first. It's probably the main reason that I dismissed it as an app for task management and note taking. I ended up coming back to it a month or so later though because it had all the functionality that I wanted plus the iPad app was the final selling point. I'm now a Pro subscriber - will go Pro Plus soon probably.

Now that I've used it for a while - I don't mind the UI. I guess its grown on me. I've even tried most of the userstyle scripts for toodledo but I keep coming back to the standard UI / Icy color scheme.
AJS

Score: -1 Reference
Most of the alternative skins don't display properly except in vanilla format. Adding priorities introduces a host of weird colours, skewed formats and bolded options which don't sit well.

It's just a shame the native UI colours are so garish and the font so old style. Top priority tasks should display in red or bold black, not orange/brown/green whatever that colour is meant to be.I paid £30 for the pro plus version and now feel like for the extra money paid I'd have been better off sticking with the free version.
PeterW 

@AJS:

You can edit these scripts fairly easily - it's what I did. I have no css skills but was able to look through existing scripts and work out enough through trial and error to get what I wanted.

This is the one I am currently using and it's pretty basic:
http://userstyles.org/styles/37231

You could use this as your template and just change colours if you wish although they're already quite subdued.
AJS

Posted: Nov 24, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I am using the Clean blue version at the moment which is also easy on the eye. I use only top priority on very few tasks and the rest I just "star" otherwise a collection of green, blue and red fonts just starts looking psychedelic.

I did edit the Things version to show a bigger font so I may well play with this one and see if I can get it to my liking.

Thanks. Nice selection of themes btw, among my favourites along with Toodledoish.
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 24, 2010
Let me know if you need some help. As mentioned I'm no expert but have been able to hack the basics. For example, color changes are simple - you could get my current gray theme and change to another color in just a few minutes.

I have also toyed with changing the default font but haven't found one that works well yet (I'm on Windows platform). I also assumed that it would need to be a font that exists on most other platforms (various Win and Mac OS versions) to work correctly. Not sure what happens if the font doesn't exist.
jml575

Posted: Nov 25, 2010
I also dislike the pastel colours in the default version, but find 'Inky' is fairly acceptable - simple and businesslike. It doesn't embarrass me if other people catch sight of my screen!

As it is an 'official' colour scheme, there are no display problems either.

acedia
AJS

Posted: Nov 27, 2010
Inky would have been perfect without the actual Inky sidebar which overwhelms the rest of the screen. Having tried out various other web task managers though has given me a fresh appreciation of the comprehensive power and use-ability of Toodledo. I had a go at Todoist for example. Supposedly simple but a nightmare to get around unless in dumbo mode, in which case Google Tasks is a much better option if you just want a basic task list.
twangus

Posted: Dec 11, 2010
By the way, I just created a new style that I think has been coming along quite nicely, despite having been working on it only a few days. I'm also of the thinking that Toodledo needs a ground-up UI overhaul, and I tried to make bigger changes with this style than I've seen in most of the other ones. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://userstyles.org/styles/40980
dg

Posted: Dec 16, 2010
Posted by twangus:
By the way, I just created a new style that I think has been coming along quite nicely, despite having been working on it only a few days. I'm also of the thinking that Toodledo needs a ground-up UI overhaul, and I tried to make bigger changes with this style than I've seen in most of the other ones. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://userstyles.org/styles/40980

+1 for making this the standard Toodledo UI
earnjam

Posted: Dec 18, 2010
twangus, I'm with you on the idea that Toodledo needs a UI overhaul, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I've always stop using it because of the not-so-pretty web interface, however, I always come back because I think it's the best web-based ToDo system out there.

I really like your Focus user style. You have definitely done well with the goal of having the tasks stand out more than the hundreds of settings and options Toodledo has.

I got inspired by the great themes built by you, vintom and nonimage to build a user style myself. I've always wanted a good desktop Toodledo App for my Mac, but have never found one, so I decided to build a style that more closely mimicked a MacOS desktop app interface. Just started it on Thursday, but I think it is mostly complete.

It's probably too much for some people just searching for a simplified version of the normal theme, but if you're looking for something more like Omnifocus or similar desktop apps, this might be a good option for you.

If you check it out, let me know what you think!

http://userstyles.org/styles/41218

Lance

Posted: Dec 19, 2010
I see a lot of potential with the way you have this laid out. Very clean. Like the folders on the side. Tasks look like tasks. Toodledo...TAKE A HINT!
Captain_Obvious

Posted: Dec 23, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
DAY & NIGHT

Compared to this, Toodledo look like nothing but a back-end UI from the 80s .

Unfortunately my PC has ~3 sec delay before I see the corrected UI.
earnjam

Score: 2 Reference
You know what is sad? I did this in one day (with a few extra hours on subsequent days for bug fixes).

Yet despite a pretty large vocal discontent with the aesthetics of the website...there have been no big improvements.

The thing is, the hooks are already there! They have ID and Class tags on almost everything...The hard part is already done. The HTML is (for the most part) pretty sound. I did this all with just CSS. It's just a matter of loading a new stylesheet. They don't have to change the functionality or their PHP code at all.

All they have to do is find someone who will design them something attractive. The biggest concern would be that it turns off anyone who prefers the current look, however that is easy to avoid by allowing users to switch back to original theme under Account Settings. And that wouldn't be very difficult to implement, since they already offer the ability to choose your theme.

I wonder what group is bigger...the number of visitors who don't use Toodledo because of the less than desirable aesthetics, or those who would leave if it was changed.
piyush_soni

@Captain_Obvious
Are you installing these styles as user-scripts(through GreaseMonkey) and not through Stylish? I was having a big lag too when I was doing that, but after installing the Stylish add-on there is no delay at all.

The reason of that is, the author (of Stylish) is not doing the conversion of style->script in an efficient manner, and all those png files etc. are downloaded each time you load a page. He should have used the GM special '@resource' tag for those, which downloads the resources just once on your local machine and uses from there on.
dg

Posted: Dec 30, 2010
Posted by earnjam:
You know what is sad? I did this in one day (with a few extra hours on subsequent days for bug fixes).

Yet despite a pretty large vocal discontent with the aesthetics of the website...there have been no big improvements.

+1....this is representative of what has caused me to look for other GTD solutions besides Toodledo. It has a lot of capability, but the authors are developing in areas I personally don't care about and not fixing issues in the areas I do care about. To each his own, but that's my $0.02.
garyo

Posted: Jan 10, 2011
Posted by twangus:
By the way, I just created a new style that I think has been coming along quite nicely

Beautiful look, twangus. Gorgeous! Q: How do you adjust the column widths with this though? I'm on a small netbook sometimes (1024x768) and this layout doesn't resize to fit. Add Task is almost always off the screen and the New Task dialog is humungous on my screen. Search ("f") I find a bit weird in that it scrolls down to the end for the search field (rather than being pinned to the top like usual) but it works.

Just some suggestions...
sebastianmaguire

Posted: Jan 24, 2011
I would start using toodledo again if they improved their UI to even half the standard of some of these fabulous Script enhancements.
PeterW 

Posted: Jan 24, 2011
Posted by Salgud July 15, 2010:
@PeterW

Yes, I am aware of the themes. Thanks for mentioning them. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with IE7 at work, and I have a Mac at home. Don't know if those themes will work on the OSX platform yet.

Still, I think that Toodledo needs more than a theme to make it more palatable to the eye. I saw that this is a common complaint and decided to add my 2 bits.

@Salgud,

Not sure if you've seen this or if I've mentioned this before, but there is a way to have user-styles for IE:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/9381/0/updated-toodledo-distraction-free.html
Salgud

Posted: Jan 25, 2011
Posted by PeterW:
[quote]Posted by Salgud July 15, 2010:

<DIV class=quote>@PeterW

Yes, I am aware of the themes. Thanks for mentioning them. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with IE7 at work, and I have a Mac at home. Don't know if those themes will work on the OSX platform yet.

Still, I think that Toodledo needs more than a theme to make it more palatable to the eye. I saw that this is a common complaint and decided to add my 2 bits.[/quote]

@Salgud,

Not sure if you've seen this or if I've mentioned this before, but there is a way to have user-styles for IE:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/9381/0/updated-toodledo-distraction-free.html[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, when I tried to install this, it said it required something called MS Common Language Runtime, and the link to that was bogus - nothing there called MS Common Language Runtime. I then Googled for it, and looked at a couple of web pages trying to find an install, and my virus software picked something up. So I think I'll stay away from this one. Others should be warned. I don't know if MS Common Language Runtime is really from MS, or just some trick to load viruses, but my advice is stay away from this add-on!
Sytone

Posted: Jan 25, 2011
Hi,

The Microsoft CLR is the runtime environment for the .Net framework. Since I wrote the program I can let you know that is is not bogus. It required the .Net 4.0 runtime (which is installed on all my machines by default) I will need to create a VM to find out what the issue is.

Im really sorry for the bad experience!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.