ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
Sytone

Posted: Jan 25, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I have updated the product page with the correct link to the Microsoft site to install version 4.0 of the framework. This is backwards compatible with all version of the framework.

I will update the support link in the click once package to point to the product page on the next release.

Thanks!
Salgud

Posted: Jan 26, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Sytone:
Hi,

The Microsoft CLR is the runtime environment for the .Net framework. Since I wrote the program I can let you know that is is not bogus. It required the .Net 4.0 runtime (which is installed on all my machines by default) I will need to create a VM to find out what the issue is.

Im really sorry for the bad experience!

Thanks for your reply. I don't believe you deliberately caused this. What surprised me is that in trying to find/install MS CLR, somehow I picked up a virus. I'm guessing that some clever person figured out how to get something with their virus to show up in a search for CLR. Just glad my virus protection here at work picked it up. The IT people look askance and anyone who gets a virus on their machine, and they already worry about me and my "non-approved" sofware I run on my machine here. (Renegade stuff like Evenote and Executor, among others) They're also totally against any cloud apps, though they're going to have to get used to them as they become increasingly ubiquitous. So using TD is also cause for concern here, even though I never put any confidential info in it. You should see the looks I get from the IT folk when they work on my machine! :) Anything without the MS logo is considered dangerous at best, if not downright subversive.

I should have mentioned I'm running XP here and IE7 here, which causes a lot of problems in interacting with the rest of the world. Working for the state has it's drawbacks, and this is just one of them. Maybe that's causing the problems here.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2011.
PeterW 

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Salgud:
Anything without the MS logo is considered dangerous at best, if not downright subversive.

That's pretty funny. I think most people would think that anything WITH the MS logo is subversive and dangerous.

Salgud

[quote]Posted by PeterW:
[quote]Posted by Salgud:

Anything without the MS logo is considered dangerous at best, if not downright subversive.[/quote]
That's pretty funny. I think most people would think that anything WITH the MS logo is subversive and dangerous.[/quote][/quote]

I have an iMac at home, so you can probably guess what I think! :)

llcljx

Posted: Jan 29, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
LOVE THIS! I wasn't bothered by the UI, I'd prefer not to have a slick interface to distract me. But.. I stand corrected, this is nice enough to change my mind.

Posted by twangus:
By the way, I just created a new style that I think has been coming along quite nicely, despite having been working on it only a few days. I'm also of the thinking that Toodledo needs a ground-up UI overhaul, and I tried to make bigger changes with this style than I've seen in most of the other ones. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://userstyles.org/styles/40980
andrea

Posted: Jan 31, 2011
I come to Toodledo website hundred of times every week but the design looks like its from the 50s!

please....... you already did a great job..... we only miss the icing on the cake.
Bliss149

Posted: Feb 03, 2011
To repeat someone else's question...what is it about the UI you all don't like?

Just curious about this.

Agree RTM does have a nice clean look but it just doesn't have the functionality. And I hated the dumb way you add tasks!
Bliss149

never mind...I just looked at Twangus' style makeover.

so...yeah I think I see what you mean now.

very nice, Twangus.
piyush_soni

Even though some of the styles users have written for ToodleDo are very good and I use them too, I had never imagined that the 'beauty' of a website is so much more important for so many people than its functionality. :)
Salgud

Posted by piyush_soni:
Even though some of the styles users have written for ToodleDo are very good and I use them too, I had never imagined that the 'beauty' of a website is so much more important for so many people than its functionality. :)

I doubt many of us, certainly not myself, feel that the beauty is more important than the functionality. If that were true, I'd still be using Things instead of TD. I imagine others feel the same. The fact that we are using TD proves we don't value beauty over functionality. The fact that we complain about the UI shows that we'd like both!
Viim

I have skipped through to the end to add my voice to the chorus - however the comment above has it pinned - why can´t we have the killer functionality with a half-decent UI?

I tested half a dozen alternatives - none of them gave me the customization and great feature set, so I am a very happy TD user. The ONLY gripe is I have to do it on a site that looks circa 1997!
pbenetkiewicz

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
Couldn't agree more with my fellow toodledoers. Toodledo is the world's best (and free) todo service with crappy look. On the other hand, the IPhone app looks great! Learn from it!
JamesD_3

Posted: Feb 09, 2011
+1 on this. I switched from RTM 2 years ago, and have zero regrets. The power and functionality is here, but it just needs to be exposed in a better manner.

JD

This message was edited Feb 09, 2011.
harlock

Posted: Feb 09, 2011
... maybe I missed some past posts but: why TD don't include the existant (and cool!) stylish styles into selectable style in TD??
tribble222

Posted: Feb 10, 2011
Am I the only one that loves the original interface the way it is? I've tried all the other services but nothing compares to Toodledo. I just purchased a pro subscription today. The interface is fast and well organized. Please don't make it more flashy at the expensive of functionality or speed!

This message was edited Feb 10, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 10, 2011
Harumph!
rjleamaster

Posted: Feb 11, 2011
Look at Appigo's Todo online for a great UI. I was torn between Toodledo and Todo and ended up with Toodleo buying the Toodledo pro subscription because it works better with Gcal. However, the Todo online UI and the Todo iPad blows the Toodledo UI away. Although I do have to disagree with the above commenters who assert that the RTM UI is better than Toodledo's.
max_1296142160

Posted: Feb 17, 2011
Score: -4 Reference
Its really simple. If you dont like the UI. Then go elsewhere.
jshands

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by max_1296142160:

Indeed. Also, if you want more features, go elsewhere. Find a bug? Go find a site that doesn't have the bug. There's no reason to provide any feedback for a product, just hold your tongue and suffer through it, or go somewhere else. </sarcasm>

For what it's worth, I definitely agree with the UI improvement request, and I found Twangus' CSS to improve things greatly. The fact that people are using third party CSS, websites (Nirvana), and iPhone apps (Taska and Appigo's Todo) to access the site definitely point to what others have been saying. Toodledo has amazing depth and functionality, but the UI is the weak side.

I'm glad to see that you're hiring for a designer position, and look forward to seeing the improvements.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011.
PeterW 

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by max_1296142160:

I didn't see the need for an improved UI when I was first here. After you've been here a while you understand why.

It's more than just window dressing - I use Stylish to window dress and it's not enough. It's about providing a greater level of functionality, e.g. better ability to display and handle projects, manual sort order of tasks, drag & drop of tasks, etc.

These are areas where a number of other solutions shine, although admittedly they are yet to catch up in other basic areas that Toodledo has always handled well, e.g. repeating tasks, etc.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.