ForumsGetting Things Done®Pocket Informant ?

Pocket Informant ?
martin

Posted: Oct 21, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hey all,

I reasently discovered the iPhone APP - Pocket Informant.

Its developed uppon GTP and is very easy to get started with.

Ofcourse it syncs with toodledo, and also google calender, IOS calanders and soon to come desktop

Default there is 5 screens
Today
Calender
Tasks
Search
Settings

Its highly customizable, but in my setup its like this
Today is showing Todays tasks + my next actions
Calender shows my events from all my calanders
tasks is holding my tasks, with the default views
Inbox
Projects
Contexts
Starred
Next Actions

beside there there are other filters, who you can set up as you like.

The search is working on the entire iPhone, så you can search for contacts, tasks, events and notes as you wish.

You can make templates for tasks and events, to easy create the ones you need.

Is there anyone else who have experiance with this app ?
KatBoy

Posted: Oct 24, 2010
I did use it briefly, but the syncing with ToodleDo didn't work properly. Messed up my tasks and took ages to sort out....

It has been updated several times since, so that problem may well be fixed, but I won't be using it again.

Shame - loved the idea of integrating everything into one app.
SRhyse

Pocket Informant on the iPhone is very great in theory, integrating tasks and a calendar in one space. It's an app I really wanna like. In practice, however, all the app has ever consistently done for me is crash.

I got it awhile ago. Every once in awhile there will be an update and everything will get prettier, maybe an extra feature or two that seems worth while. Then I'll perform my usual ritual of getting the update and starting it up again, where upon it fulfills it's role in ritualistically crashing.

I've heard others having better experiences with it, but for me, I've never even gotten to syncing it with my main Toodledo account for fear of it messing it all up and not even staying open long enough to be of any use.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2010.
PeterW 

@SRhyse - I'm a former user of PI for Windows Mobile and had similar crash experiences on that platform. Same as you did, I gave it up but reinstalled when new releases were available but it just never seemed stable.

And I found the support to be a bit lacking at times - I felt that users were treated a bit like they were a nuisance.
melchizW

Posted: Oct 25, 2010
I've used informant since it was a pocket pc application , I think a lot of the stability issues were with the platform and no so much the application. The key back then and with windows mobile was to always use the latest beta build .

I've been using it on iPhone 3GS with google pro account with no issues . Earlier versions did crash a lot but they seem to have gotten those worked out.

I've found it works best with t.D. if you have the tasks set to " toodledo " format and not GTD or F.C.

It also seems helpful to let it stay on screen and do a full sync every few days rather than background [no idea why ]

The calendar integration with the built in IOS cals work great, I much prefer using informant to the iPhone calendar.

No Affiliation with WebIS , I just like Informant : )
toodledo

Posted: Oct 29, 2010
Hi I've being using pocket informat on an iPhone 3GS sync with google calendar & toodledo and it works great! Any previuos problems on windows can be largely blamed on windows OS. Recommend it.iPhone OS is the best around at the moment.

Posted by martin:
Hey all,

I reasently discovered the iPhone APP - Pocket Informant.

Its developed uppon GTP and is very easy to get started with.

Ofcourse it syncs with toodledo, and also google calender, IOS calanders and soon to come desktop

Default there is 5 screens
Today
Calender
Tasks
Search
Settings

Its highly customizable, but in my setup its like this
Today is showing Todays tasks + my next actions
Calender shows my events from all my calanders
tasks is holding my tasks, with the default views
Inbox
Projects
Contexts
Starred
Next Actions

beside there there are other filters, who you can set up as you like.

The search is working on the entire iPhone, så you can search for contacts, tasks, events and notes as you wish.

You can make templates for tasks and events, to easy create the ones you need.

Is there anyone else who have experiance with this app ?
ddblumhardt

Posted: Nov 01, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I have a question about how to use POCKET INFORMANT as a team collaboration tool.

There are 8-10 people on my team who use the Google suite and Toodledo. We have iPads and use the Informant HD app (from WebIS). We would like to share folders and tasks in Toodeldo and have them sync to Pocket Informant (or at least to Toodeldo's own, new iPad app).

I have been playing with the sharing features in Toodledo and testing them with two other team members. We can't get shared folders and tasks to show up in each other's iPad apps. Is there a way to get the shared folders/tasks to sync for all the participants.

BTW, we each have the Pro subscription and we have flagged one another for full access to non-private folders.

Thanks for your help!
Dave

Posted: Dec 01, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
I really like the app pocket informant .. am having difficulty syncing PI for iPhone with PI for iPad .. using toodledo and Google .. google working flawlessly .. toodledo not so much. it seems toodledo wont syn my "calendars" as i have them in PI (you have different calendars as, kinda categories eg: family, work, person etc . which you can use within tasks to assign them to these particular calendars) .. anyway ..
any help?
Purveyor

Posted: Dec 01, 2010
Best to directly contact the makers of Pocket Informant or post on their discussion board.

Also, this thread should have been started in the Third-party applications forum.

I don't use Pocket Informant but I can tell you that I will not use any iPhone/iPad application to store vital information unless I'm absolutely convinced that the sync will be flawless. The only app that I've found that syncs perfectly with Toodledo is the official Toodledo app.

This message was edited Dec 01, 2010.
abishepherd

Posted: Apr 08, 2011
I was using pocket informant (still use it for my calendar) but decided to go back to using the Toodledo iPHone app for managing my to do list).
slgooding

Posted: Jul 27, 2011
I've never had a problem and Pocket Informant supports task hierarchy.
Joyce

Posted: Jul 30, 2011
Pocket Informant led me to Toodledo then I found PI sucked, Because I live in the boonies my internet SUCKS and PI wouldn't Sync properly no matter what I did. Then I was having calender items breed like tribbles. I use TD and Calengoo...
Monte-Vale

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
Pocket Informant is coming up with the next version of their software. I have been using blackberry and currently trying their iPad version. It is a great system and I can hardly wait for the new upgrade.
Folke X

Posted: Aug 02, 2011
I have been using PI for iPhone for several months, and it works (touch wood).

Unfortunately, it does not support Saved Searches (but neither does the Toodledo app, as I understand it).

For me, the main attraction with PI was having Google calendar and Toodledo tasks in the same app, even on the same screen to some extent. (And the calendar part is a better interface to Google than the native iPhone calendar.)
ivyclark

Posted: Sep 08, 2011
I thought PI would be the perfect solution for me, but I've given up on it now. It was ideal as I love being able to see my calendar and tasks in one application. And I loved the weekly view, which is not available on the iOS calendar.

Sadly, my troubles with it started when I added more tasks to toodledo. The synch took ages and sometimes tasks get duplicated for no reason. So I ended up with lots of rubbish that I had to clean up and I did that using the toodledo website.

At first, I thought it was probably my fault, so I persevered. But the slow synch with google calendar and toodledo got increasingly annoying. I could see the calendar entries on my iOS calendar pretty much straight away, but not on PI. Because of this, I started using the toodledo iOS app when they released it. So now I have to use 2 apps - the toodledo app for my tasks, and the iOS calendar for my schedule. But this is a far better solution than having to wait ages for PI to synch each time.

Last night, I finally decided to remove PI. But before I did that, I decided to give it one last go... hoping that it would work properly, synch smoothly and quickly, etc. I was so wrong! PI downloaded my toodledo tasks (which are organised in folders, sub-tasks; and have contexts, statuses and tags) successfully, and I made a couple of task updates plus synch back to toodledo. PI decided to delete all my existing tasks for some reason. Argh... luckily there is a backup facility on PI, so I used that to get back the tasks. And this time I tried again... I managed to get all the tasks back, but all the folders, contexts and tags are gone, and I think because I tried a couple of times, I ended up with duplicates on toodledo!

So I had to spend all morning, on the toodledo website, putting all my tasks back into their folders, delete the duplicates, and re-entered the context and tags.

I've been using the toodledo app 2 weeks without any synch dramas; and this was the last chance I gave PI. It's now been deleted from all my iOS devices.

Hope this helps you decide which tool is best for you.
dibs

Posted: Oct 03, 2011
My husband and I bought PI for our iphones and use google calendar to sync to each other. I have had problems with PI crashing (never happened to my husband). PI support was great and they went out of their way to sort it, ended up telling us there was a code problem deep in the program. They fixed it and I've never had a problem since. I now need to get a proper handle on task management and am going to use toodledo hopefully syncing that too. The reason for choosing Toodledoo is that I have seen it written that PI will only provide support for Toodledoo and no other Task Manager app. Can anyone confirm this and has anyone had experience of said support from PI (or Toodledo)? People writing in this thread seem to be trying to sort issues largely on their own.
gabrielzucker

Posted: Oct 03, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I use PI everyday. It's my go-to GTD management system on my iPhone. I did have problems with it when I was using the Toodledo app too (things double-syncing, etc. which may have been a setting issue -- I never looked into it). But since I stopped using Toodledo on the iPhone and just use the website, I've not had any problems. I use Google Calendar for events and Toodledo website for everything else, both syncing with PI. All is working well.
Mark.M

Posted: Oct 24, 2011
I have used PI on a Windows Mobile device, then an iPhone 3g, and most recently on my iPad2. It has worked consistently for me on all of these platforms. I enjoy the ToodleDo app, but PI offers a few more visual 'bells and whistles'. And since the iOS calendar is so disappointing, it helps to have the integration of the calendar/tasks. I especially like the Today view in PI, which combines my calendar and task items into a daily view.
NazRajan

Posted: Nov 28, 2011
I have been using PI on iPad and iPhone for the last year, and have been synching without any issues to Toodledo, using my Mac.

I REALLY like PI, including the latest update 2.0 on iPhone (soon iPad too), and again, I don't get any crashes, it syncs all tasks to Toodledo with issues, and the Calendar items from iCal on my Mac without any problems.

I would highly recommend it if you have a Mac and an iPhone/iPad, as it works in this configuration.
Tony.Dickel

Posted: Dec 07, 2011
in a very small nutshell, PI for iphone and ipad is absolutely super. i have tried so many of these systems in the past and am infatuated with this solution. it syncs perfectly through toodledo and for the first time i have everything in sync!!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.