ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by replytoken"
replytoken

Posted Oct 04, 2009 in: Four small improvements and fixes
Score: 0
Posted by Toodledo:
And bug fixes are usually higher priority than new functionality.

:)
replytoken

Posted Sep 29, 2009 in: Mark Forster's Autofocus
Score: -1
Posted by Qrystal:

As far as rewriting goes, it does help to keep things fresh, but I'm not so sure the benefit is found within the actual rewriting. It may be more about the fact that stuff is crossed off of the old, stale part of the list, and readded (and even perhaps reformulated) in the new, alive part of the list.

while I do not necessarily disagree with your statement, I personally believe that the benefit is not in re-adding the item(s) to a fresh list, but in the "hassle factor" of the re-writing. If I have to keep re-writing something every day, I am certainly going to be motivated to get "quick and dirty" items off of my list ASAP to avoid the hassle of re-writing them.

Look at it this way, with a list that does not get re-written, it is often easier to let tasks, albeit mostly minor ones, accumulate than it is to just deal with them. By raising the "cost" of the tasks(i.e. having to re-write them), you are much more likely to either deal with them quickly or delete them so as to reduce your "cost". YMMV.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 28, 2009 in: Google Voice & Toodledo
Posted by cj:
Another vote for Dial2do ...

the steps you listed for doing this in Google Voice have already been developed by a guy named Rube Goldberg ; )

Funny, I felt that way when I was reading how one has to use Dial2do. I did not realize that leaving a simple message required a number of steps. Its probably not a big deal, just like setting up Google Voice and Mail with TD, but I am glad we have choices that work well for us.

Regarding Mr. Goldberg's "latest designs", I would have to reserve that special honor for some other hardware and software manufacturers. Most of the time setting up Google's products does not even come close to the contraptions needed to get some equipment to work right, but I will not name names and take this thread OT.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 24, 2009 in: Google Voice & Toodledo
For those of youlooking for a free transcription service, I have tested out my Google Voice account with TD. I do not know the quality level of transcription with other services, so I cannot make a comparison with Gooogle Voice.

The set-up is as follows:

--Do not have your Voice account forward to any other telephone numbers. This will allow its voicemail option to take your calls.

--Forward your transcription to your G-Mail account, and then have your G-Mail account forward the transcription to Toodledo.

Its not the world's most optimal arrangement, but it is free and it is easy to set up and control.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Mark Forster's Autofocus
Posted by Claudio:

It's not clear to me, though, whether an Autofocus system (paper-based or electronic) will maintain the "freshness" of task list any better than regular reviews of something like Toodledo. If it all comes down to discipline, then which system is most likely to work with a particular person's level of discipline? Or, which system is most likely to foster the discipline to get many things done efficiently, effectively, and with minimal stress?

Hey, sometimes shift is a good thing. Y'know what they say: Shift happens.
:)

Good observations, Claudio. I know that it is very easy to let items "stack up" with any task list. In TD, I sometimes "pull items out" by giving them a Star. That works well for getting those tasks accomplished, but it is much more challenging to address the "long-term" residents on my list.

I would wager to say that if I had to re-write my whole list every day, I would be very motivated to keep that list as short as possible. One way to do that is to deal with the tasks ASAP. The other way is to never add them in the first place. Taking that one step further, are they not added because they have been accomplished or because I do not want to add them to my list? Some might say that the latter approach totally avoids the issue, while others may say that we are being realistic with our limited time. I guess it depends on your ultimate goal(s) as to what is the best answer to that type of question. And yes, shift happens!!

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Saved Search and Subtasks
I believe that the settings belong with each view and are not global, but I am not certain if each search is considered a different view since they are on the same "tab".

--Ken
replytoken

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked. I normally have my views of subtasks "Indented", but for the search I set up, it makes sense to flatten it.

--Ken
replytoken

I have a saved search that I use which, among other criteria, is supposed to return items that are starred. I have a subtask item that is starred, but its parent is not. I was assuming that the subtask would appear in the search results, but it is not. Any suggestions as to what is happening and how I can correct it?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Mark Forster's Autofocus
Thanks for the link. I took a quick look at the web site and came away with a very interesting thought. If I had to revise my list every day on paper, I might think twice about some of the items that seem to never leave my lists. Its all too easy to park an item on a list and never get to it (especially if your list is electronic). It is much harder to ignore it if I have to manually re-write it every day, and this is not always a bad thing.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted by Brian:
I'm trying to simplify my life and really don't want to get into email forwarding, etc.

Actually, I find that e-mail forwarding using G-Mail helps simplify my life. I set up a simple filter or filters once and everything then happens automatically. YMMV.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 16, 2009 in: 7 Days 7 hours left for my iPhone
Posted by Anders:
I use Google Contacts. You can sync them with just about anything. I am not sure what you mean by "mapping", but I don't have an overly complex contact list. I can sync Google contacts with Thunderbird and with the iPhone contacts. Another one you may want to look into is Plaxo which can also be synced to various other apps.

Thanks for the reply, Anders. I have been considering both Google contacts and Plaxo. The issue around mapping concerns where data fields will show up in other programs, especially if you start to add additional fields as these programs allow. I believe that some programs will only "map" known fields and leave the rest behind, while others will attempt to map as many fields as possible. This latter approach leaves me wondering as to where fields get mapped in the receiving program.

In short, there seems to be little documented standards as to what are "safe" fileds, and how many of them can be created before there is a problem. Also, I understand that categories and groups often do not sync very well. I wish there was a good tutorial on this subject, but all I have found are a few posts here and there on the web.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Sep 16, 2009 in: 7 Days 7 hours left for my iPhone
I hope this post does not take this thread OT, but it seems to be related to the original questions asked by Proximo. I have reasonably got my calendar and task management in order with my iPod Touch and the cloud (read Toodledo and Google). Now I want to focus on my contacts. Ideally i would like tohave access via my iPod Touch, a cloud service and hopefully a desktop application. I have been doing some research, and the whole mapping issue between programs seems vague at best. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted by Proximo:
Another thing Toodledo has that other don't is "Anders" :-)

We are very fortunate, but I believe WebIS is also sharing in our good fortune as I know that Anders also uses Pocket Informat on his iPod Touch.

--Ken
replytoken

Thanks. A ticket has been submitted.

--Ken
replytoken

Thank you for the quick reply. I did delete the app and downloaded it again via WiFi. Unfortunately, it is still randomly quitting and flickering, even after resetting the unit. I can fill out a support ticket, or I can set an appoinment with the Genius Bar to see if they can diagnose this replacement unit. Any suggestions/

--Ken

This message was edited Aug 26, 2009.
replytoken

Hi Anders,

As I have stated before, notifications are not really that useful tome because my iPod Touch is not "attached to my hip", so I need a system where reminders/notifications can pile up until I can address them. And, I think that my new arrangement works better for me than Apple's half-baked offering.

Regarding the quitting/flickering problem, its very odd because I have very few applications or data on my iPod Touch, unless one is hogging memory. I tried to sync and backup the unit, but it still quit on me afterwards. Before I fill out a support ticket, I would like to reinstall TD so I can rule out the program itself. I cannot remember if there is a procedure for deleting and reinstalling so data is not lost. I will be away from my machine that I normally sync with during the day today, so I do not know if it is safe to delete the app and download it again. Any advice?

Thanks,

--Ken
replytoken

Well, after having a flaky iPod Touch replaced by Apple, I finally upgraded to OS 3.0 this week. Now, I have two questions. First, IIRC, Apple only displays one notification on its device. So, I am assuming that if I have multiple events with reminders, I will only see the last notification. Is this a correct assumption?

Second, before I fill out a support ticket, my TD client on my iPod Touch quit several times after I viewed my Hotlist, and/or it now it flickers when I return to the main TD screen. I have tried it with WiFi on and off, and I have done a soft reset to the machine with no luck. This did not happen prior to my first notification, but that may be coincidence. Any thoughts?

--Ken
replytoken

No, but it would be a great feature now that you mention it.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 24, 2009 in: Getting Started
Score: 1
Welcome!

This is a good place to start: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php . The "Basics" should help with many common questions.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 22, 2009 in: Shortcut Key for "Star"
Posted by Anders:
It is too bad that the * is already taken.

The "^" and the "&" are currently free. Personally, I find the "^" to be the better of the two, unless TD wants to free up the "*".

--Ken

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next