ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by replytoken"
replytoken

Posted Jul 07, 2009 in: Staying logged in on the website
Score: 0
I do not know if it is a problem, but I experience the same behavior w/IE or Chrome.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 06, 2009 in: Check off Box List
Posted by sheiland:

I know I can do something similar creating a parent task, and the subtasks could be an individual item with a box, but creating each of those subtasks involves more steps that cumulatively add up to more time than I wish to invest.

Would it be any faster if you used the "Add Multiple Tasks" command?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 06, 2009 in: Reminders, Google and the iPod Touch
Dan,

I posted a bit more on this topic in this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/849/0/tasks-vs-calender-events.html . It may give you some idea as to how to keep your calendar separate from Toodledo, but still get a unified list of reminders. Keep us posted on how you proceed.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 05, 2009 in: Tasks vs Calender events
I hate to revive an old thread, but this topic seems quite timeless. To set my perspective in context, I am trying to migrate from a Palm-based device running DateBk to a web/iPod Touch (iPT) set-up for tasks and my personal calendar.

I believe that anybody's answer to this question greatly depends on the tools at hand. In DateBk, there were appointments and floating events (there were also to-do's but they did not tie into the calendar or alarm system so I will ignore them for the discussion). floating events were great for tasks because they could have an alarm, date and time, and if desired, recur, but they also carried forward on the calendar until resolved. This allows a seemless relationship between appointments and floating events with respect to alarms, notifications and displays.

My current arrangement, which I am still testing before I migrate, involves Toodledo, Google Calendar and Mail, Nuevasync and the iPT native calendar. I have not yet upgraded to OS 3.0 from Apple, but this system should work just as well in either OS.

For my new calendar arrangement, I am proposing that its items be populated by anything requiring a specific block of time to which I have made a commitment. Appointments, vacation, personal engagements, etc. The idea being that if I need to schedule an event on the calendar, I can see at a glance what time is or is not available for the potential commitment. This calendar would be available on the web at Google, and on my iPT on or off line.

Tasks, dated or otherwise, will most likely live in Toodledo, although I am still having to adjust to the concept of having all of my birthdays and other dated anniversaries not on my calendar. I may put these on my calendar, but I will probably not decide until I can figure out which program is better at handling recurring events.

Now, here is how I am proposing to link the two together. Toodledo and Gmail, will act as my visual reminder/notification system. My Pro account lets me send e-mail reminders, and Google's Calendar offers the same feature. So, for the time being, I have all of my reminder notifications sent to my Gmail account, and my Google Calendar reminders are also sent to Toodledo. Gmail will be the place to look if I just want to view my reminders. Toodledo will be the place to go if I need to get into the detail of my tasks, as it should be. And, my calendar will be reserved for when I need to find open time for appointments involving time commitments.

It works reasonably well on the iPT or on a PC and it gives me a list of notifications that I can view at my leisure. I can still use Apple's calendar if I want an audible notification within two days of an event scheduled on a calenar, but I have found over the years that I mostly use the audible calendar as a travel alarm. I am usually tuned into the clock, and a list of reminders serves me better than an audible alarm.

I would like to have everything in one place, but Google needs to get its act together with respect to iCal feeds and tasks. For me, this arrangement seems to take advantage of each program's strengths, and it avoids what I find to be weaknesses. Its a start, and it has taken me some time to cobble together, so I am sure it will change over time. In fact, it already did this morning when I added PingMe to the line up. I am evaluating it, but I like its simple free form system for "quick and dirty" notifications. And, it seems to tie in nicely with Google and Toodledo.

--Ken

P.S. I forgot to mention Pocket Informant (sorry Anders). Tehy are working on trying to tie everything together, but the current version is not there yet. It is probably the program to watch, and it may replace my proposed arrangement, but for now its not quite there.

This message was edited Jul 06, 2009.
replytoken

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: Reminders, Google and the iPod Touch
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am looking to replace my Plam OS based PDA running DateBk with an iPod Touch (iPT). I like the alarm/reminder/display layout of DateBk, and have not yet been able to reproduce a system that works well on the iPT and the web (a bonus over the Palm). Now that TD is offering semi-custom reminders on its pro accounts (Thank you, Jake!), I have a potential arrangement, with several iterations, that I would like to share for feedback.

In addition to viewing my tasks in TD on the web and iPT client, I can, as I mentioned above, now send reminders for TD entries to an e-mail address. This works great for tasks, but not items that I would like to enter and see on a calendar. So, if I keep a calendar with Google and synced it with the iPT's native calendar, I can use Google to send e-mail reminders for appointments too. This,along with a dedicated mailbox or folder, would allow me to have a single place to view and manage all of my reminders.

Alternately, I could have Google send my calendar reminders to TD and then manage them from within the program. While these two proposals are a bit different, they both allow me to see my calendar and task reminders in one view (or program). I know that Apple is now offering notification in OS 3.0, and that Pocket Informant is working on a unified view, but the former does not meet my needs and the latter is not yet available.

Its not an ideal solution, but it does give me a great task manager (without the hassles of iCal and Google), and the advantage of a synched calendar, available on and off line, without the disadvantages of Apple's limited notification system. Alert sounds are nice, but the iPT only shows one alert at a time, and this just does not cut it for me. Any constructive comments or suggestions are welcome.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 02, 2009 in: A few tweaks for reminders
Posted by Toodledo:
We just made a few tweaks that should make reminders/alarms easier to use.

1) If you want every task to send you a reminder, it is now possible to set a default value for the reminder field. Any new task added via the website will have a reminder set automatically. Go into your account settings to set this up.

2) We have added "14 days" and "30 days" as options for the lead-time on reminders (Pro subscribers only).

You have put a very bright spot in an otherwise chaotic and grinding week! Now if you could fix that PITA IE8 that I installed on my netbook last night (I know, what was I thinking?), I would come over and clean your house and wash your car. I love supporting smaller software developers like you because they listen to their customers, and they provide good technical support. Thank you so much.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 02, 2009 in: Toodledo's iPhone app has been updated.
Posted by Anders:
Ken, I agree with you completely. I couldn't believe Apple was that cheap when I first heard they were charging for iPod updates.

Believe it or not, I was told it has to do with bookkeeping. I use Adobe Lightroom, and was told that because they did not release this product under the same revenue model(?) as some of their other programs, they would be able to relase more incremental upgrades during their fiscal years. It looks like the OS for the iPod Touch is under the "other model". Par for the course with Apple in my book.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted by Anders:

"You probably already know this, but you can update your iPod to OS 3.0. You just have to pay $10 for it, and because of that you won't be automatically updated like iPhone people who get it for free. I have a 1st gen. iPod, and IMO, it is totally worth that price simply for cut&paste, and the rest (push notifications, etc.) is all just icing on the cake."

I do plan on upgrading, although I am not happy that Apple is charging iPod Touch customers for the upgrade, but I wanted to first make sure that there were no major issues with 3.0. I do not need to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology.

--Ken

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
replytoken

Posted Jul 02, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
Posted by Toodledo:
For simplicity we decided to use fixed values instead of any random number. This makes it easier to implement. We chose 1 week as the max just because we figured it was far enough ahead. If there is demand for longer leadtimes, we could add more.

If you do need a reminder more than 1 week in advance right now, you might consider giving it an artificial due-date or creating a second task with the artificial due-date that will act as the reminder.

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is one of the reasons that I was happy to upgrade to a Pro account. As implementation is important, I can respect the use of fixed values, although choice is always nice. If I had to request two additional values, I would ask for 2 weeks and one month.

Thanks,

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 02, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
Now that I have upgraded to a pro account :) , I plan to take advantage of the customizable alarms. I appreciate that we have some flexibility on choosing times, but was wondering if the 1 week limit is for technical reasons. Is it hard to program this feature to allow users toset their own period? I know that the old Palm OS allowed minutes/hours/days to be set between 1-99, and this was very handy. One week is certainly better than Apple's calandar alarm of two days, but sometimes a long lead time is important. Any thoughts?

--Ken
replytoken

Hi Jake and Anders,

Will the new version work with the old iPod Touch OS? I realize that the 3.0 features cannot be enabled, but should we upgrade or stick with the last version of Toodledo?

--Ken
replytoken

Thanks for the reply, Anders. I will have a look at the script, but had hoped for something to happen automatically on the back end (i.e. controlled and/or run by Toodledo with just user input at set-up). Either way, I would certainly be mindful of Toodledo's server bandwidth.

Regarding the custom field, the formats that come to mind are text, currency or numbers, pop-up lists, and possibly check marks. Smartsheet employs this in a very simple fashion, and it works great, although Ecco initially spoiled me on custom columns.

--Ken
replytoken

First, my comment. A big congratulations and "Thank You" to Anders for taking on the role of moderator! I appreciate your dedication and helpfulness with regards to Toodledo and getting organized in general. I believe that you might be a CRIMPer at heart ( http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/17/0/crimp-defined ).

Now, on to two suggestions for consideration. First, is there any way that backup could be automated or scripted? It would be great if I could set an interval, say daily or weekly, and have a backup file sutomatically sent to an e-mail account.

Second, have you given any thought to adding a user defined column, possibly with a very limited set of formatting options? I am not certain of how broad the value of a custome column would be to your customers, but I thought I would throw it out for your consideration.

And if you will indulge me for one additional thing. Have you had a chance to look at Smartsheet ( http://www.smartsheet.com/ )? Its a great product, although their new pricing is a bit too expensive for my taste. I wish I could merge the two programs together, but short of that, I find their approach quite useful in certain situations, and believe that it can serve as a good source of inspiration (not duplication) for the future of Toodledo. (Jake, they are local, although I believe the are on the "other" side of the lake.)

To close, the more I look, the less I find anything as well developed for my needs as Toodledo (although adding an off-line client would be most appreciated). I hope to be moving from a free account to a Pro subscription shortly.

Thanks,

--Ken
replytoken

Posted by Anders:
Yahoo Calendar has several shortcomings. One of them is that there is no direct sync to iPhone. If you use Outlook or Apple iCal, then you can sync to them, then to your iPhone.
Thanks for the tip on Yahoo Pipes. I had not heard about that.

~Anders

Thank you for the reminder about Yahoo Calendar. I tried it several months ago, but could not remember why it did not work. Take a look at Pipes and let us know if you think it could play a part in this search for the "Holy Grail".

--Ken
replytoken

Posted by Anders:
Quick update: I just set up a 30 boxes calendar, and it seems pretty nice, but like offline access will require export : (
Also giving yahoo calendar a try, but I can't imagine it's going to be better than google.

Anders,

I re-read this post after posting about my issues with iCal and Google. I took a look at 30 Boxes, and one thing led to another, and the next thing I was looking at was an article about Yahoo Pipes and iCal feeds ( http://ouseful.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/merging-several-calendar-ical-feeds-with-yahoo-pipes/ ). I am wondering if this tool could provide any value in conjunction with Toodledo's iCal feed. Than again, I think that I need to re-examine Yahoo's calendar to see if it is any better than Google's with respect to an iPhone/iPod sync and working offline. Any thoughts?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted May 29, 2009 in: Revisiting Google & iCal
This is kind of what I thought. And to make matters worse, Google's own tasks are not picked up by the iPod's calendar. So, I feel like I am back to where I started several months ago.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted May 29, 2009 in: Revisiting Google & iCal
I had to take a break from my previous evaluation of Toodledo (and its relationship w/Google and the iPhone/iPod Touch), but I am back at it again, and I want to revisit an issue to make sure that I am correctly understanding the relationship between Toodledo, iCal and Google Calendar.

I have again placed an iCal link in my Google calendar. I know that this is a one-way relationship, and that it is updated approximately every 24 hrs. But, what I am not certain about is how, if at all, changes made in Toodledo are reflected in Google Calendar after iCal updates. I created a dated/timed task that showed up fine in my iPod Touch from Google, but when I changed the task a day later to another time or date, and changed the task description, the next iCal update did not pick up the movement and text change of the task. What this leads me to believe is that my Google calendar could be populated with a lot of outdated information over time. Once a task is created in Toodledo and carried into Google from iCal, just exactly what changes that originated in Toodledo will later be reflected in Google's calendar?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Apr 16, 2009 in: Folders, tags, context
I would suggest that you start by using what works for you. Eventually you may want to change your style to allow more control over your tasks, but I believe that you should start with what you know and let your style of management evolve.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Apr 15, 2009 in: Still having iCal probelms w/Google
Thank you for the quick and detailed reply. Ihad a feeling it was a problem on Google's end as I downloaded an iCal file and could not find any of the old tasks in it.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Apr 15, 2009 in: Still having iCal probelms w/Google
First, let me thank you for the news announcement about the changes to start/due dates and times. These seem to be better suited to my needs so I am eager to see how they work. On that note, I deleted the problematic calendar(s) at Google so I could have a clean start with the new dates and times. I also deleted some tasks, added a few new ones, and modified a few while I was in Toodledo on the web. Now, here is the problem.

When I pasted the new URL into Google, some of information carries over, and some of the old information seems to be coming over as well. I have tried the Google-specific iCal URL as well as the generic iCal URL, and each seems to behave differently from the other. I thought that creating a new link would bring the most current data over to Google, but it does not seem that way. Is Google caching my deleted calendars and using them for information? Is there some way to clear out the old data so I can have a fresh start? Do I need to wait a cycle for a new push of data from Toodledo to Google? Very frustrating! Any help or advice would be appreciated. I just want a fresh new start between Google and Toodledo.

Thanks,

--Ken

This message was edited Apr 15, 2009.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next