ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by replytoken"
replytoken

Posted Aug 21, 2009 in: Shortcut Key for "Star"
Score: 0
I would second this request. Perhaps an asterisk in the text line would work, and the folder symbol could be changed?

--Ken

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009.
replytoken

Posted by Kendoori:
I'm exploring using the sharing feature and wondered whether it is possible to send an alert to the recipienct of a delegated task?

You could send your notification to an email address and then have it automatically forwarded to a recipient. The notification would need to be set relative to a due date, but otherwise this is not too hard to set up.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 19, 2009 in: Reminders, Google and the iPod Touch
An update on this topic as I have refined it a bit. I am still sending my G-Cal notifications to G-Mail, but my appointments now have a small TD modifier in their titles. I have added "!!!" to the event descriptions so that when they are forwarded to TD, they are automatically given a "Priority=3-Top" designation. I have reserved this designation, and a 30-day date window (althought the date window can be set to your preference), for TD's Hotlist status. These forwarded notifications will remain without a folder designation, but will be picked up daily by my hotlist report that will be sent to my email account at work where I spend most of my time. My TD notifications for my "native" tasks (created in TD and not appointment notifications forwarded from G-Cal) also are sent to my email account at work since they need to be sent somewhere (and I did not want to "round trip" them back into TD along side my G-Cal notifications because that would create duplicate entries).

I have also eliminated the notifications from my G-Mail account (which I kept in my original scheme) so TD is my primary place for notifications, and my email account at work is a convenient secondary location. While I am trying to reserve Priority=3-Top for G-Mail notifications that forward to TD, it is still available to me, and it automatically puts any "native" task on my Hotlist should I choose to do so. I wish that I did not have to add the "!!!" to my calendar events, but it seems a small price to pay for some integration between TD and G-Cal. As always, comments or suggestiosn are always welcomed.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 19, 2009 in: Automated Email Reports & "No Folder"
Thank you for checking, Anders. I think that I may have a good work around. I will be posting it shortly in this thread as the topic is more closely related to the issue: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/2344/0/reminders-google-and-the-ipod-touch.html .

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 19, 2009 in: Automated Email Reports & "No Folder"
I know that TD ofers on demand e-mail reports for folders. Is there any way that an email report can be generated for items that have no folder assignment? And, is it possible that folder reports could be automatically generated like the Hotlist report?

I have reminder notifications sent from G-Mail to TD for Google calendar appointments and they arrive in TD with no folder assignment. I would like to use the "no folder" designation as my "repository" for all of my notifications, and it would be great if TD could also send me a daily update of these items.

Thanks,

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 10, 2009 in: Daily Processing
Score: -1
Posted by Tyler:

...but he also prioritizes major tasks -- what he calls "big rocks". His idea is to set out out a "Most Important Task" for the day (he also does this for the week & month, etc.; it's a form of goal setting), which he calls a "big rock." After he does his morning routine (exercise, feed kids, etc.) he works only his "big rock" or "Most Important Task" (which is usually tied to a long-term goal in some way). That way he gets it out of the way before all the "little rocks" (the day-to-day stuff that just comes up during the day and eats up all your time) can prevent him from working on the most important things...

[/quote]

Many time management seminars recommend this considering this philosophy. And, as a victim of dealing with too many small rocks too often, I find these to be good words of wisdom.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 05, 2009 in: Stand alone reminders
Proximo,

Forgive the questions, but I am trying to refine my own work flow, and better understanding what users are looking for in the situation you presented helps my thinking about my own set-up.

Can you separate the two items into two separate tasks? I suspect that at some point you would assign a due date to receiving a PO if you are working on a time schedule.

And, are you looking for an audible reminder? The more that I move away from my Palm to using "cloud" software like TD and devices like the iPod Touch, the less I find audible alarms useful. I have now taken to starring TD items that I want to watch with extra attention when I am in TD. And, I have also started to send reminders to my e-mail account(s) where I spend a great deal of time during the day. My reminders are automatically color-coded when they land in my Inbox so I can pick them out quite easily. I am also using GoPingMe along with TD for reminders. So far, I am finding this arrangement better for me than my old one.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 04, 2009 in: Upgrading iPod OS and Toodledo client
Sold! Now let's hope there is still some money in my iTunes account. ;)

--Ken
replytoken

Thanks, Claudio and Anders. I did not know with hindsight if you had changed your opinions. I will now most likely upgrade to 3.0 this weekend. And, since I will also need to update my TD client,I am assuming that the newest 3.0 compatible version is reasonably stable unless you advise otherwise.

--Ken
replytoken

Well, I hate to read into silence, especially on a forum, but have those who upgraded to 3.0 had no regrets?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Aug 03, 2009 in: Upgrading iPod OS and Toodledo client
I held off on upgrading my iPod Touch to OS 3.0 because sometimes I do not wish to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology. I know that Anders upgraded right away, but other had some problems with OS 3.0 and the accompanying Toodledo client. Does anybody know if things are mostly worked out with 3.0 and its TD client, or should I be waiting a bit longer (perhaps there is a 3.1 upgrade in the works)? I do eventually want to upgrade, but the last thing I need right now is hassles with "time saving" technology. Any thoughts?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 21, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
Posted by jpropper:
I use gopingme for this all day. I have gopingme as a home page tab on my browser and quickly move to it to set a reminder. You can send it to Toodledo (throughfiltered gmail for me, haven't figured how to confirm email to Toodledo), cell phone, email, wherever. I generally don't send to Toodledo because I don't see any reason.

I choose to send my reminders to Toodledo because, at present, it is the first place I look to see what needs to be done. That, and the fact that it has an offline client on my iPod Touch. I do also send a copy to my e-mail address at work, but I do not receive any data on my cell phone at this time.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 21, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
Posted by Acustk:
[quote]Posted by replytoken:

<DIV class=quote>...my Inbox on TD is a place where I receive reminders from gopingme and from my google calendar (via G-mail).--Ken
[/quote]

Ken,

What do you mean by your inbox on TD? I'm interested in understanding where this goes in TD.

Thanks,

Les[/quote]

Les,

I mispoke. My reminders from gopingme and google go to the folder entitled "No Folder". The concept is the same for me as I do not create tasks in TD without assigning them to a folder. So, by default, the "No Folder" becomes my "Inbox" for reminders generated outside of TD. In G-Mail, the reminders gather in my Inbox. Sorry for the confusion.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 20, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
I have been using gopingme.com in conjunction with G-mail to set "free form" reminders. I can quickly create a reminder in e-mail and send it to gopingme. When the reminder is activated, a copy is sent to my G-mail account, and G-mail then forwards a copy to TD for me. So, my Inbox on TD is a place where I receive reminders from gopingme and from my google calendar (via G-mail). Yes, its a bit more work, but gopingme can hold alarms for quite some time into the future, and that is very handy at times.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 13, 2009 in: E-mail with note in body
I mostly liked to carry over text when it contained some useful information like a telephone number or address. Its not a deal killer, but if they can fix it it, would certainly add to the utility of using gopingme with TD.

--Ken

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009.
replytoken

Posted Jul 13, 2009 in: E-mail with note in body
Posted by jpropper:
@eamon

I think I figured this out. I use gopingme too. I send the ping to a gmail account(that has been confirmed by Toodledo). I have a filter set up on my gmail that files it in a ping folder AND forwards it to Toodledo.

I can also text my ping to my phone and of course do both.

I am using a similar arrangement, but the text in the body after the frist line of the gopingme reminder notification does not carry over to TD.

--Ken

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009.
replytoken

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry to continue on this issue, but I did have another option that could possibly work, but I am not certain if it would require any modification to your reminder message format.

Currently, I have one of your reminder messages being sent to a web-based mail account. As these accounts offer filtering and forwarding, it seems possible that a TD reminder message could be sent to the user's mail account, and then be automatically forwarded to a service like gopingme.com.

I suspect that the mail filter would need to be activated with some type of identifier, like an enclosed word, so not all messages would be forwarded along, just those that the user chooses. And, here is the key part, the message would need to contain the syntax that gopingme.com is looking for to activate its message system ( http://gopingme.com/help#pings_on_the_go ).

Composing the syntax is up to the user, but the point in question is where does that line of syntax need to reside in the TD reminder message? If it can be anywhere in the message, we are set to go. If it needs to be on a certain line (like the first), that seems possible with some very simple modifications to the TD message format. If it cannot contain all of the other information that TD passes along, its a dead deal.

Why bother? Well, gopingme.com allows its users the total freedom to completely drive themselves crazy with as many e-mail or SMS reminders as they wish. And, TD could point to this service as a possible option for those customers wanting highly customizable reminders. A possible win/win/win situation, or a possible nightmare custom-designed for the web 2.0 world. I will try to play with the gopingme.com message syntax tonight if time permits.

--Ken
replytoken

I was looking at the blog at gopingme.com ( http://www.zetetic.net/blog/2009/07/07/prowl/ ) and saw a reference to these programs:

http://prowl.weks.net/

http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/apps.aspx

Would these provide TD with an alternate method of sending notifications to iPhones and/or iPod Touch devices?

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 08, 2009 in: Reminders, Google and the iPod Touch
Posted by desgnosis:
Thanks, Ken. Looks good.

A new version of PI came out today, so I gave it another chance. I did a wipe of the old PI data, synced, looked good. I next made some changes via my Toodledo web account and re-synced. PI returned the web changes to the state just synced -- it did *not* update to the newest state. This seems broken to me; both the Toodledo and Todo apps update properly when you make changes at the web site. Sigh. Putting PI back on the shelf.

It's too bad. PI looks closest to what I was accustomed to using with DateBk6 on my Palm PDA.

I have had the same feeling towards PI since before it was released. I think Alex is a great guy who is dedicated to his product and his customers, but it is going to take some more time until I can rely on PI for daily use.

My proposed solution is not perfect, but it is the best that I could manage with the tools at hand. I value software that is robust and reliable (which can sometimes be an oxymoron when dealing with the web), mostly because my time is limited, and buggy software and/or hardware can be the worst time vampires!

Other than a few minor glitches, TD, and to a lesser degree, Google, have not caused me any major data losses. I am still ramping up, but so far so good. (And there is always gopingme.com if that helps fill a gap for "free form" notifications/reminders.)

--Ken
replytoken

Posted Jul 07, 2009 in: A few tweaks for reminders
I am totally loving the tweaks you implemented for the reminders! One low priority suggestion, if and when time permits, regarding the reminder box. You have a No Date command which is very handy to clear out an already existing date. Could it possibly have a companion command for "No Time" when we just want to clear out the time? Some times I want to move a date forward to antoher date, but without a specific time. It is possible to first hit the No Date command, but No Time would be a nice addition.

Thanks,

--Ken
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next