ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by lite1"
lite1

Score: 0
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 18, 2009
  • Score: 0
Posted by Toodledo:
Thanks for the suggestion and bug report. We'll look into the hotlist email and make sure that it matches the website hotlist.

Thanks

Thanks, I believe that it is broken/bug so you will determine that. FYI the three test tasks that I noted that I had put in ALL came through in the email today so I have no hypothesis anymore as to what might be wrong.
Again thanks, Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 18, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
  • lite1
Posted by Linden:
Posted by lite1:

E) My Hotlist setting are at least Priority 2 and due within 7 days so was surprised to see my item:
pay for pro subscription of TD
Top Priority
Due: May 16, 2010
I assume that this yearly repeating task should not be showing up in the email given my account settings for Hotlist?

Thanks Linden. I started a thread in Questions forum. Since I can't edit my prior post in this thread I realize that the Hotlist query is an OR query. You are totally correct that my "pro renewal payment item with priority 3" should show up even though not due for 11 months.
Edward
I can't address much of your questions, but this is one I know!

The hotlist will show all tasks due in the next 7 days, and also any task with priority 2 or higher -- regardless of due date. So, if renewing your pro subscription was listed as priority 2, it would appear in the list.
lite1

• lite1
Just trying out this feature. Main View | Hotlist tab shows 10 items and all are accurate meaning that each meets one or the other of my criteria in Account Settings:
Due within 7 days OR at least priority 2

However the email of hotlist shows only 6 items 5 of which are on the Hotlist. The one that is in email but not in online hot list view is:
pay for pro subscription to TD
Top priority
due May 16, 2010
I can explain this discrepancy as I have filter hide future tasks (> 4 months). Some of the emailed Hotlist items meet one of the criteria; other meet the alternate one, so I don't see a pattern that explains the discrepancy and am baffled.

I can not explain why items in online hotlist view accurately show several items with due date of June 21st and no priority at all, BUT these do not show up in email.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Edward

Tonight I am putting in three test tasks in Hotlist to try to discern things. All 3 should show up in email:
Hottie test due June 20 no priority
Hottie test due June 20 with P2
Hottie test only P2

[I use Hotlist infrequently and would find it more useful if I could set the two criteria to AND rather than OR; because of that I'd rather get an email of my starred items which is what I use to manually select my own "Pay -attention to me list"; however that is a different topic.]
lite1

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2009
Possibly off topic post that should be in Questions forum!

Just started using reminders for 1st time primarily to test out for friends that I am encouraging to try/buy TD pro as new users.

?s and suggestions:
1) First Hotlist reminder I rcvd as email to me would be more useful if ...
A)It included at the top my account settings for criteria of what gets on the Hotlist.
B) If "Star" status is also included as information.
C) If "due:" not only stated "tomorrow" but was written as "tomorrow, Thursday, June 16 {If I print out the email, or am looking at one that is a day or more old then the additional detail would make the information more accurate and clear}. If past due! showed the due date as well.
D) If folder info and tag info is included (perhaps the latter is already, but I don't use tag alot and none of my hotlist items have tag data). {Rationale - When I see an item, especially a subtask in the context of its Parent even if the subtask subject is written in a telegraphic manner then subtask can carry enough info to be clear. I'm not sure bec. of what made my Hotlist this morning whether subtasks are shown nested under parent?}
E) My Hotlist setting are at least Priority 2 and due within 7 days so was surprised to see my item:
pay for pro subscription of TD
Top Priority
Due: May 16, 2010
I assume that this yearly repeating task should not be showing up in the email given my account settings for Hotlist?

2) My email shows 6 items; but going to my Main View |Hotlist tab shows 10 items. I had not done any editing in TD since 8 last night and none before looking this morning. I do not understand the discrepancy. It seems to be from looking that email meets my account setting criteria at least priority 2 and due within 7 days whereas the online tab is showing items that meet one or the other, or both of my criteria. Namely a zero priority due on June 21 is NOT in email but is online in Hotlist tab. Now I understand why I have never found Hotlist of much personal value since perhaps it has a bug??

3) Like Anders and perhaps others, I often use "Star" to manually select various items from diverse folders so I can view them all together and perhaps act on them. I assume that it is NOT yet possible to get a daily email of the Main View | Star tab. If not yet possible, I'd find this as or perhaps more useful than the Hotlist email.

Sorry for being such a noob to reminders and also perhaps these ?s/suggestions should be thread in Questions forums. I often find it a judgment call whether to start a new thread or whether the post is still relevant to the present thread.

Thanks for any advice, Edward

Posted by lite1:
TD you might be interested to know that I have been talking with a friend who has been looking for task manager and considered RTM and TD. I definitely steered them away from RTM and toward TD. One of their first feature ?s was in terms of reminders. I do not use these personally, but said I'd research which I did a week ago. They will now be thrilled/convinced by the added options for reminders.

Keep up the good work - who knows I might even set a few of my tasks up with reminders, but generally find it to be overkill in my life. I usually can nail 99.6% of my hard deadlines and my super high priority date/time commitments without high tech "alarms", but I'm a bit old school in that regard.

Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 17, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2009
TD you might be interested to know that I have been talking with a friend who has been looking for task manager and considered RTM and TD. I definitely steered them away from RTM and toward TD. One of their first feture ?s was in terms of reminders. I do not use these personally, but said I'd research which I did a week ago. They will now be thrilled/convinced by the added options for reminders.

Keep up the good work - who knows I might even set a few of my tasks up with reminders, but generally find it to be overkill in my life. I usually can nail 99.6% of my hard deadlines and my super high priority date/time commitments without high tech "alarms", but I'm a bit old school in that regard.

Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 16, 2009 in: Improved Backup/Restore capabilities
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 16, 2009
Thanks, as usual TD team is on top of things.
Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 14, 2009 in: Dividers - get rid of 'em
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 14, 2009
Find dividers useful at times; I know how to sort to eliminate them. Please focus your TD developement time elsewhere.
lite1

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: How To Export A Copy Of Your Toodledo
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 12, 2009
Anders and TD thanks for helpful posts. TD as I have commented before, your willingness to give meaningful hints on your priorities and what might appear in an update is very helpful to me as a user in making my own decisions on how I use TD.
Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: Pro Plus Subscribers
  • lite1
I went from Pro to ProPlus for similar reasons and it just feels like an equal energy exchange to do so. Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: Thanks! Good job!
  • lite1
I am delighted to be part of a forum and user community that in their posts has been so supportive; understanding; creative; and constructive in suggestions/comments to TD regarding the recent crash. Also love that many have posted that they have moved up in financial support of TD from free to Pro, or from Pro to ProPlus. I expect that we can continue this very positive user culture that adds to the value and enjoyment of what is a good and valuable tool. I always check out and read, often for hours, the user forum of any software I let into my life before deciding to commit to it.
Edward
lite1

• lite1
4) Hiding/revealing certain tasks: The Filter "show/Hide Future Tasks" is controlled by a Date set by the user in their account settings. If you use Status, note that the status of "delegated", "waiting", "hold", "postponed", "someday", "canceled", or "reference" all will toggle with the Filter "show/hide Deferred Tasks". While both of these Filters are quite useful be sure to understand them so that you don't think you are more on top of your list than is actually true.

I also note that the Filter bar text labels do not show the current state of your Filters, but in actuality its opposite. For me this took a bit of getting used to, and I'd actually suggest to TD that they consider a green/red text color for the text label to indicate its current status with "red" meaning that your view is not a complete deck of cards. Thus the text label could simply be: "Future Tasks" if it displayed in red your future tasks are hidden; green they are displayed. If programming could accomplish this, I think it'd add clarity and reduce text length thus allowing for some of the other filter choices suggested by users.
lite1

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: How To Export A Copy Of Your Toodledo
  • lite1
Posted by Anders:
If you are a Pro user, one thing to note is that the import/export tools do not currently support Parent/Subtask relationships.
~Anders

Thanks Anders. I only started TD in early May and almost immediately became Pro sub, but until yesterday had been remiss in not doing a download backup - did CSV. Hope I never need to utilize it as an emergency.

I expect that if I have to upload "uncompleted" tasks Ander's comment that the CSV does not retain relationship of Parent/Subtask would make "fixing" the upload a significant chore. I think I will do a little bit of upload experimenting to get a clearer picture. Anders or anyone: Would this be a correct understanding ... If you upload what you will see in a Folder after the upload will appear to be the same as before the upload if you were viewing the before situation with the Filter set to flatten subtasks. The huge difference is that now after uploading the Parents and Subtasks are all at the same level and you have completely lost the option of clicking the Hand icon on the Parent to view things for that Parent with its related subtasks now displayed nested beneath it.

That is hard to describe but seems to be implied by Anders' OP. If indeed that is the behavior, personally I will probably have to rethink my TD approach and how much I wish to protect myself from the highly unlikely need to do such an upload due a TD crash that they are unable to recover from. Currently I enter all of my parent tasks with two visual rules, and I consider a parent = a project: +THEY START WITH PLUS SIGN AND ARE ALL CAPS Since I far I rarely use Tags at all I will have to decide (really only for protection) whether I want to go to the extra effort of tagging all entry as Aprj Bprj Cprj Dprj etc. so that I'd be able to recover.

Does anyone have any idea whether TD expects that in the future CSV or any other export will retain Parent/subtask relationship? I believe if they were able to do this, they could also offer Users the option that TD itself would automatically display in your view (probably using Tag) a sequence number code that would automatically be showing the relationship:
Subject Tag
+MY 1ST PARENT 001
subtask 001.1
subtask 001.2
subtask 001.3
+MY 2nd PARENT 002
subtask 002.1
subtask 002.2
subtask 002.3

Of course such an approach has challenges and drawbacks - TD would need to keep track of what the next available Parent seq number is across all Folders and to keep things somewhat readable the above only allows for 999 Parents before recycling needs to occur. Since such an automatic tag entry probably would need to be at the start of the Tag field, the Tag field as a sort criteria would loose some of its usefulness. If the number seq. could be appended to any other entry in the Tag field that might be of greater value. Sorry for the long post and my thinking while writing.
Edward
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: Jun 11, 2009
Glad that TD is back - good job in doing what you could do and learning from the situation. Delighted to see so much understanding and support from users in their posts here - this is an awesome community.
lite1

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: How do you manage Energy Levels?
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 10, 2009
Posted by Big KC:
I think there's some confusion here regarding priorities in GTD. The "everything equal" rule doesn't apply to tasks. It applies to the raw "stuff" in your inboxes that have not yet turned into tasks.

Thanks for your clear post, and it "justifies" what I had written earlier in what I use (and don't use of GTD principles, especially ones that might have been mis-stated by others than David Allen). I am also glad since there is now less discrepancy between GTD principles and some I have adopted from Zen Habits, although I am used to living with inconsistency and paradox. I still remember an essay from freshman English class in college by Ralph Waldo Emerson in which he writes " ...a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds ..."

Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: How do you manage Energy Levels?
  • lite1
Posted by TheGriff:

GTD really considers all tasks to be equal in priority as they all have to get done. The exception to this rule are tasks that have a hard due date, such as your monthly presentation.

I realize it's a hard concept to grasp. The idea that all tasks are created equally flies in the face of what we've been taught our whole lives.

I am re-reading GTD for the 2nd time in 3 months and I guess I had never gotten (or accepted) that equality thing. I did read with amusement the edict regarding the initial setup of system and the first processing of your in basket. Start with the first item, do not skip any and the example of the first item being a piece of junk mail and the second being a personal letter from the president of your country. Here treat them all equally translates to go in order. This I can probably agree with but might not always adhere to (I am committed to my life and find that 80% of what GTD recommends as principles works for me personally).

Sometimes I will do what you state GTD recommends - think of all tasks as having equal priority - most other times I do not. For a contrasting view of the "issue" you might be interested in a post on the Zen Habits blog regarding productivity http://zenhabits.net/2009/05/3-ways-to-get-more-done-with-the-power-of-less/#more-3223

As regards the OP: I have a folder I called Zap in which I put in tasks that I can complete in <10 minutes >2 minutes and which are not vital to accomplishing some parent task. The items in Zap might be low energy but not necessarily. I go to Zap folder a) when I want to knock off several things and get myself moving forward with the enjoyment of checking a number of things off; b)I also might go there when I am lower energy because I will find somethings there that match, and sometimes I realize that even if the item would be best done with more energy or more clarity, I am still able to do it in my current state, OR that knowing that it is really <10 minutes I can get in gear easily for such a short time period. Of course TD has a duration field but I do not use that, as I am intuitively only putting certain kinds of things in Zap.
Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: Moved to ToodleDo from RTM
  • lite1
Tried RTM for a couple of weeks, and got tired of the unresponsive RTM support people and what seemed to be their poor attitude toward users based on their official RTM posts in the forums. Gave TD a shot, the became a Pro subscriber and am delighted with the choice I made and a wonderful forum group. Nearly everyone seems pleased with TD and it seems like a good collaboration to make a good product even better.
Edward
lite1

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: Google Quick Search Box
  • lite1
Posted by Anders:
Vin, I'm just wondering, what exactly would the plugin do? Just search Toodledo.com, or am I totally missing something?

Don't know what Vin Thomas is pointing to with Google, but Anders to have Google search just toodledo.com it is pretty simple and you probably already know this e.g. if I want to find hits in the forum that match projects AND subtasks the syntax is
project subtask site:http://www.toodledo.com/forums/

This is not as easy as TD having a better dedicated search on its own site, but it does help.

You can read more here:
http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

or simply play with this google search
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

and then see the parameters goog has entered into its search window to understand the various ways to play with the syntax. You can also type the syntax in the top URL window without even using google directly at all. E.G. Open a tab in your (firefox) browser and then paste in this url "thanks Anders" site:http://www.toodledo.com/forums/ Have fun.
Edward

Edward
lite1

Score: 1
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 09, 2009
  • Score: 1
Thought it might be helpful to point out things that are perhaps not so obvious; perhaps not documented - or easily found in TD help area; or that you have learned from experimenting or from other users on this great forum. Perhaps would be good if everyone continues the number sequencing so that any discussion is easier to understand/track. If your post is only applicable to a certain configuration/way of working please try to point that out. While my focus is on things that work in TD and can be helpful, knowing about gotchas (odd behavior of TD) could also be of value in this thread.

I have a strong keyboard shortcut preference for doing things. I do not work on iPhone and do not know if this would work in that situation.
1) You can use Shift+tab to navigate subtasks. If you have numerous subtasks for a parent task, then if you are on one of the lower ones using Shift+tab while on the description field for one subtask will then move you to the next one above it in the list. I find this useful when editing/modifying existing items as I don't need to move back and forth from keyboard to mouse. Note: If subtasks are nested then Shift+tab will move you upward to the next higher task in the list, but personally I use this far less frequently as most of my editing is at the subtask level; and currently there is no keyboard shortcut for expanding/collapsing Parent task.
Additionally, if say you are in Folder view and have sorted first by say Due Date and then by any other criteria and have Nested subtasks: now Tab will move you down through the list of sorted tasks and Shift+Tab will move you upward. What is more the enter key will now act as a toggle to expand and collapse one Parent task at a time.

2) refresh screen Typing "r" was recently added as a keyboard shortcut, but not yet mentioned in official help on keyboard shortcuts.

Edward
edited to bold keyboard shortcut so that it is quick and easy to know what this "tip" is about. Also elaborated on some other examples for use of Shift+Tab key combo.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009.
lite1

Posted Jun 09, 2009 in: GTD Components
  • lite1
  • Posted: Jun 09, 2009
Posted by tavman:
Still fighting with this, but I found a nice solution to no dedicated inbox. ...

Now if I could only figure out what to do about projects....

Dave

You might consider using the TD built-in folder that is called "No Folder" for your brain dump as alternative to tagging.

Do searchon "projects" in GTD as well as Tips & Tricks or in ?s and you will find tons of discussion of how people are using TD for handling Projects both in the David Allen definition of it as well as for other meanings of that word.
Edward
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: Jun 08, 2009
Is the time frame a trailing 7 days, or?

Unfortunately, of course this will most likely lead to suggestions to TD that the User should be able to define this in their account settings so my suggestion:
I'd like to be able to see three recently completed views (today, yesterday, and last ____ days with the latter being user defined).
Thanks for help, Edward (my bet is on Anders giving the answer!)

To TD: I think in addition the great value of subtasks, if there were additional user customization fetures that come with Pro account that that might be a good approach for you to consider. I know that one can sort by 3 criteria instead of 2.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next