ForumsNewsAdd a task from anywhere with our Bookmarklet

Add a task from anywhere with our Bookmarklet
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 28, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo now has a Bookmarklet, which is like a mini browser plugin that allows you to quickly add a task from any webpage you happen to be on. You don't have to switch back to Toodledo. It even includes the URL of the page you are on in the task's note.

This is a great way to flag a webpage for later action. For example, suppose you found a nice article that you want to read, but you don't have time right now. Just click the bookmarklet and add the task to Toodledo. Later, when you have time, click the link in your Toodledo task and go back to read that article. Or, suppose you are reading an email in Gmail that you want to act on later. Just click the bookmarklet and add it to your Toodledo list. Then when you want to return to that email, click the link inside the task on Toodledo and you'll be right back in the email.

The bookmarklet also has a way to quickly view your tasks from anywhere. Just activate the bookmarklet and click the "View tasks" button. A small popup window will appear with our mobile website loaded inside for quick access to your to-do list while browsing the internet.

The bookmarklet is compatible with all major web browsers and can be installed in seconds. You can find it in our "Tools" section at the top of the page in the "More" section.

Bookmarklet
Dave

Great new feature! Gmail users will love this since each email has its own URL and the bookmarklet works perfect for adding the email link to the task. Thanks
ChristianDiscer

Score: 2 Reference
This is a handy feature. Is it possible to set default task parameters, like context, folder, tag, etc.

Even "remembering" the last used parameters would be helpful.

Thanks.
Chris_45

Brilliant feature! I'll be using this a lot, perfectly coincides with my work using Gmail Apps :)

EDIT: Works with Safari on iPhone too, although a little messily (that's not a criticism, I assume it's not meant for mobile browsers at this juncture)

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
@ChristianDiscer : It already uses the task defaults that you have set in your account settings.
gaylon

I like! Really smooth integration, and nice use of the HTML5 version.
robmutsaars

I am not really experienced with these bookmarklets, but i notice that it's not working when (in Firefox 14) i am on my startpage (which is a blank page).
The bookmarklet does work when i am on a "real" webpage (eg Facebook, Google)

Is this intended behaviour ?
liechr

Chris!

How did you get the bookmarklet to the Safari bookmarks on the iPhone?

Thanks.

Christian

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
@robmutsaars: You need to be on a real webpage. A blank page won't work.

@liechr: If you search for "iPhone bookmarklet install" you can find instructions, but our bookmarklet was not designed for mobile use at this time. Maybe in the future.
Chris_45

Posted by liechr:
Chris!

How did you get the bookmarklet to the Safari bookmarks on the iPhone?

Thanks.

Christian

It was a bit of a long-winded process as you can't copy and paste javascript from mobile Safari. So, I emailed myself the javascript, and created a bookmark from that.

And of course, mobile Safari complicates this as you can only bookmark the page you're on. So you create a bookmark for any random page, then EDIT that bookmark and paste the javascript in.

I only did it to see if it's possible - I'd be better to email yourself a link to the page, to your special Toodledo email address.
Chris Wang

Wonderful feature! And please add time tracking and Gantt charting please!!
liechr

Posted: Aug 29, 2012
@Chris

I got the bookmarklet into both my iphone and ipad by moving the bookmarklet on Safari on my MacBook Air first. My bookmarks are synchronized and a couple of seconds later, they where on my ios-devices:-)

I have found it to work like a charm on my ipad. I have a separate folder that I call "News", and with no due date I can find all the web pages/articles I need in that folder in TD.

BTW: The bookmarklet does not work when a pdf is opened within the browser.

Christian

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012.
ChristianDiscer

Posted by Toodledo:
@ChristianDiscer : It already uses the task defaults that you have set in your account settings.

Yes, I see that now.

However, I would prefer different task defaults for "toodledo bookmarklet's" to easily set them apart from my "normal" tasks. In my case the defaults would be: Context = "Personal", Tag = "bookmark"

Thank you.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion
rinatwe

Posted: Aug 30, 2012
very nice feature :)
Purveyor

Posted: Aug 30, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Dave:
Great new feature! Gmail users will love this since each email has its own URL and the bookmarklet works perfect for adding the email link to the task. Thanks
Yes, except for one thing: When I click on the URL link in Notes, it takes me away from Toodledo.

When I am working in my task list, I don't want my task list to disappear when I click on a link. I want Toodledo to be open all the time, and I want the link to open in a new tab. Yes, I can right-mouse click and choose "Open in a new tab", or I can Ctrl-click or cmd-click, but why?

Take a look at how it works in Gmail and in Yahoo Mail and in RTM and in the Outlook Web App. In all of those apps, clicking on a link opens it in another tab. Toodledo should be consistent with those apps, unless it's a good thing to be different for the sake of being different ...
matanln

Posted: Aug 31, 2012
Awesome feature!
The only problem is that you don't always want to add the site URL to the task.
Salgud

Well, that's what this is for! If you don't want to add the URL, don't use the bookmarklet!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you don't want to add the URL, you can tab into the note, and then hit the delete key. We figured that most people wanted to add the URL if they were using the bookmarklet.
daniel_h

using chorme Version 21.0.1180.75 on Mac OsX
It would be nice if after activating the bookmarklet, hitting escape would cancel the new task. instead, the behavior I see is that it blanks the task, but I still need to hit the "X" in the upper right corner to cancel the action. only hitting "ESC" to cancel would be great!

other than that, this is a great feature! thanks!!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.