ForumsNewsToodledo 2015 - The Year in Review

Toodledo 2015 - The Year in Review
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 23, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Happy Holidays from Toodledo!

One of our goals for 2015 was to simplify and standardize the Toodledo experience across all of our products and platforms and refine and improve our design and usability. We made significant progress on this goal, as well as other enhancements throughout the year. Here is an abridged list of some of the amazing things that we accomplished this year:

Tasks
1) Added an "Organize Tags" page where you can quickly delete, rename or combine tags across all of your tasks.
2) Redesigned and rearranged the toolbar at the top of your to-do list to be more streamlined and easier to use.
3) Added a way to collapse the sidebar and still navigate between sections by using the "breadcrumb" buttons in the toolbar.
4) Improved the look of all the icons in the Task section.
5) Redesigned the Filters and Sort menus.
6) Refinements to how search is performed.
7) Made "Batch Edit" work everywhere and you can now append tags in addition to replacing them.
8) Added "Smart Quick Add" so you can add tasks by typing their details using natural language.
9) Made improvements to the file attachment tool.
10) Emoji characters can now be used in any fields.
11) Improved our Bookmarklet.
12) Increased the maximum length for various fields, including folder name, tags, etc.

Habits (link)
The Habits section is one year old today and has already helped many people keep their New Year's resolutions from last year and begin making new ones for next year. We improved Habits with the following:
1) Added Habits to both our iOS and Android apps.
2) Ability to mark a checkbox habit as failed for the day.
3) You can now set alarms for Habits to remind you to do them.
4) You can now have a Habit that occurs on a schedule of your choosing (not just daily).

Outlines (link)
1) Redesigned to match our new style.
2) Made it "responsive" so that it will look great on both desktop and mobile devices.
3) Added "Presentation Mode" and "Edit Mode" so you can have a better experience.

Lists (link)
2) Made it "responsive" so that it will look great on both desktop and mobile devices.
3) Added Lists to iOS and Android apps.
4) Made it easier to edit the columns in a list.

Notes (link)
2) Made significant progress with a total rewrite that will be faster, work offline and display nicely on any screen size. More on this soon.

iOS app (link)
1) Added the Habits section.
2) Added the Lists section.
3) Added a Notification Center Widget so you can quickly see your hotlist without opening the app.
4) Added a Share Extension so you can quickly add a webpage or note to Toodledo for acting on later.
5) Optimized for iPhone 6 screen size.
6) Optimized for iOS 9.
7) Released an Apple Watch app!
8) Redesigned the Outlines section.
9) Worked on a redesign of the Tasks and Notes sections to match our new style. More on this soon.
10) Improved speed of syncing.
11) Stability improvements.

Android App (link)
1) Redesigned the app with Google's "Material Design" look and feel.
2) Added the Habits section.
3) Added the Lists section.
4) Made improvements to Location based alarms.
5) Improved offline syncing.
6) Added in-place editing of many fields and improved editing of dates and notes with HTML and links.
7) Stability improvements.

Overall
1) Redesigned and cleaned up the top part of our website with a unified Account Menu and a nicer look.
2) We made a new logo and new unified icons for use across the entire site.
3) Added a "Ribbon" down the left side of the page for all of our products (tasks, notes, lists, outlines, habits) for a unified way to navigate within each product.
4) Improved searching in the forums.
5) Redesigned our "Subscription Purchase" page to be easier to use.
6) Improved speed of Toodledo and decreased the load time of pages.
7) Improved encryption and security.
8) Improvements to printing.
9) You can now upload a picture to display as your avatar in the top right corner.
10) Opened up our beta testing platform for any user who wants to help.
11) Created a Sweepstakes page where you can win a free Gold Subscription by saying something nice about Toodledo.
12) Redesigned the footer at the bottom of the page to be slimmer.
13) Made it easier for us to get feedback from our users with surveys and other tools.
14) Redesigned the "Organize" section where you manage your folders, contexts, goals, locations and tags.
15) Redesigned many other secondary pages on Toodledo, such as the help section, settings, tools, etc

Reliability
We were able to maintain an uptime record of 99.96% for the year, with only 3hrs of total downtime. In addition, we upgraded the entire backend infrastructure of the website to be faster, more secure, more reliable and more easily scalable.

Conclusion
All of the above are just the highlights. We made hundreds of other smaller improvements and fixes across all aspects of our product.

In 2016, our goal is to continue to refine and improve our design and usability across the entire product, with an emphasis on the Tasks section. We also plan to finish our work to make the entire website work elegantly across all platforms, regardless of screen size and capabilities. Additionally, we will continue to bring new enhancements and capabilities to all parts of Toodledo, especially the Tasks section.

We appreciate all the support and suggestions that we have received from everyone. We are continuing to make Toodledo the best productivity tool on the internet, and we have big plans for 2016 and beyond. Thanks to everyone for making Toodledo a success.

Happy New Year!

PS. Please use promo code "newyear16" at checkout to get 10% off a subscription or renewal for you and your friends.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2015.
Salgud

Posted by Jake:
Happy Holidays from Toodledo!
In 2016, our goal is to continue to refine and improve our design and usability across the entire product, with an emphasis on the Tasks section.

It will indeed be a happy holiday and new year if the emphasis is on Tasks next year!
dannyw0011

Score: 1 Reference
I'm very pleased with your efforts in 2015. Toodledo has a much more pleasing GUI than when I first started using it. And like Salgud, I am looking forward to the emphasis on the Tasks section.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Dec 24, 2015
Posted by Jake:
Android App (link)
1) Redesigned the app with Google's "Material Design" look and feel.

Maybe I missed something, but I fail to recognize that. The Android app still looks very much like old apps from at least a couple of Android versions ago (before version 4.4 for sure). Okay, there is a big floating Plus button at the bottom right of the screen, but globally the Android app feels outdated. (Maybe it was even more outdated before the redesign, I don't know that.)

This is not just looks: I find the app is lacking in ergonomy, from missing saved searches to a sidebar that too often resets to a default state where I have to select Tasks again and again before I can access more useful submenus.

Also, if I recall correctly (I have not tried it in some time), the app does not take advantage of tablet format in portrait mode; a huge chunk of the screen remains blank, and the sidebar remains hidden most of the times.

I feel you have made excellent progress on the website UI in 2015. I wish you make such good progress on the Android UI in 2016.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.