ForumsNewsToodledo Update #1

Toodledo Update #1
Olivir2018

Posted: Jul 27, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
Definitely no. Tasks in a Toodledo calendar are useless for me, I need those inside my Google Calendar. Or I just keep it the way it is now - no calendar used.

Posted by Ashwin Avottil:
No Google calender or one-way/two way sync ! Its time to bring on the 'Toodledo Calender'
johnairy

Score: 4 Reference
Hi Sam,

Toodledo is probably already the best productivity tool out there. And I do tend to agree with the sentiment, "keep it as it is - it works." At least keep all the functionality we're used to having and don't break functionality, if possible. Though, I would like to suggest we see some new features at some point.

As a long-term Toodledo user, I use it from the browser, Android 3rd party app (DGT-GTD), and Linux 3rd party application (TaskUnifier Pro). I would hate to lose the ability to sync with the 3rd party apps I have been using. My tech ability is very high - and I may just be ignorant of how to use some of Toodledo web features, but there seem to be a few shortcomings to me.

So, here are a few of my new feature suggestions:

1. From the web, it's difficult to turn a task into a sub-task, or attach it to a parent. First, you have to get the parent task on the same page (I use the calendar view most often), only then can you drag the sub-task into the parent task.

2. The new web interface doesn't seem to stick permanently. Often, when I reopen a tab, or click my Toodledo bookmark, it takes me to the old web interface. I've found, after logging in again, I can return to the new interface by going back a few pages from the browser's back button. It seems reasonable, for those who've chosen the new interface, that they should always be directed to it, and never be directed to the old one. In short, when's the new web interface going to be made the default standard?

3. Why can't we have sub-tasks within sub-tasks? I don't see why there's a limitation. Some 3rd party programs allow for this.

4. How about, repeating, self-completing, alarm tasks? I've thought this would be a helpful reminder feature. A task alarm would transpire (alarm, email or do whatever it was set to do) and would automatically complete, setting itself to repeat next week, or whenever.

5. One last feature. The original web interface had superior, or at least allowed more keyboard interaction in setting tasks. This is helpful in creating a new task - only having to type "t" to set it due tomorrow. Is the new interface going to have these old features implemented in future? It would be nice.

Again, I may just be ignorant of what Toodledo can do and need to learn - Toodledo is feature rich already. But yes, make some improvements, as long as functionality remains as it is for each user's experience. Yeah, easier said than done, right?

One last thing: I hope you can lay one concern to rest. You aren't planning to sell Toodledo to Google (or other company), are you? If so, that might push a lot of users away (to Nextcloud etc.), even if features are inferior. We see how Google has shelved some of the software it has acquired, like Picasa.

Thanks for your consideration,
John A
Mike Dawson

I agree with the "if it ain't broke..." approach. I have also "flirted" with other competitors (sorry) but always come back to Toodledo.

The only upgrades I would like to see is the ability to format text (such as bold and lists) easily in the description field (see nirvanahq app). For me, this one little addition would make it worth paying a subscription even for the basic version. If you allow it for the gold or platinum versions, I will upgrade instantly.

The other is to customise the "Status" list so I can make it work in the way I want.

If you alter the Android App, please can you ensure that you retain the flexibility of the widget. I think Toodledo's is one of the best available as my "Hot List" fits on the full screen without the need to enter the app or scroll up and down down. I think some of your competitors reduce the usability of their products when they attempt to make it look "trendy". I'll buy functionality over pretty design any day.
ralphventura

Score: 1 Reference
I'm a Toodledo evangelist and have converted many users to the platform. I run both my business and my personal life off it. Love it as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Ummagumma

So, from my perspective as a long time user who keeps going away, coming back and going away again... Toodledo has a great concept that is hindered by execution, making it's paid plans unworkable for me. I can't collapse subtasks and have some of them show up automatically when the start or due date has been triggered; I can't sync attachments to mobile clients (and honestly, I can't stand Toodledo mobile client anyway); I can't set up an easy to use filtering system that would allow me to quickly turn the display of future tasks on or off, not without setting up complicated custom searches that I can only use from one specific view. There's really no paid features that work for me.

Besides, I found my perfect task manager in 2Do, whch has an excellent focusing / task filtering system that is intuitive and very automated and works precisely as I expect it to - hiding tasks that are not triggered yet providing me with a quick and intuitive way to switch to the master task view, with ability to "pause" tasks, with ability to create all sorts of customized lists with their own special handling, all of it fast and intuitive. I'd love to use it with Toodledo but I can't even do that, since there's no background sync. So, I do not plan on renewing my Silver subscription.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2018.
ChristianDiscer

Score: 3 Reference
Okay, for seven years I've seen many forum posts and finally have had enough - one helpful suggestion for anyone who add long feature requests to system posts like this; even if the post mentioned: "give me your ideas..." ... Don't.

Please, please create a separate post dealing with "ONE idea at-a-time" in the questions area. It might be a GREAT idea, but is likely unseen because it's buried somewhere in that massive post!!

Also, please stay on-topic too. Create another post to discuss suggestions not pertaining to the primary topic.

The Toodleldo community has good ideas. Thank you for your time.
rashtongray

Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo does not look good or fit my iPad well. Lots of gaps and the left side navigator buttons are far too small.
frogboy

Thanks Sam,

Great to hear about the iOS app - can’t wait. Yes thars the biggest issue imho.

Re plans and storage; why not let silver users link lists and notes to tasks and attach external files by link only (Dropbox, google drive etc) and Gold having significant internal storage (100gb for example)

If the internal file storage had more easy interface, maybe even a WebDAV access point with a traditional file system, and search - I could end my Dropbox paid account and move everything into Toodledo.....

Look fwd to the new iOS app.

Cheers

Frogboy
justinhappy

Posted: Jul 28, 2018
Hi Sam,
"Jake (Founder) Posted: Jan 19, 2016 Score: 0 Quote Reference
The only Toodledo employee who can view customer data is me and I only do this when a support ticket is escalated to me and I have a need to view the data in order to resolve the support issue, and I have received permission from the user. For encrypted data, Toodledo currently manages the encryption keys, so I have the capability to unencrypt data if necessary. We do not currently support user-managed encryption keys although we may in the future.".
Who has the key to view our data now?
Matt Turner

Thank you for the update. The iOS app should be a priority. I hope we also are able to use plain language task entry in the near future. Like so many others -- I've used a Toodledo paid subscription for years. I try others and come back, but am always disappointed in the interface. The app and its power and its reliability is excellent. But it feels stagnant. It's not pleasurable to use.
kscarlett

One feature I would LOVE to see is to be able to sort by individual tags.

Right now, we can sort tasks by all tasks -- it just takes all the tags in order they were added and groups people who have that same tag & tag order.

I'd love to see a sort of individual tags only.

I realize that would mean that tasks would potentially appear more than once in the sort, given that tasks can have more than one tag. I think that is OK.

Why? Sometimes you want to segment tasks by tags so that you can tackle one portion of your work at a time. Tags help me prioritize how I complete the tasks.

I use Toodledo for my home based business, so maybe I'm a unique case.

I'm happy to demo for you what I'm doing and how I'm doing it --- I actually think you might be interested in seeing this. Just contact me. Thanks. :)
kscarlett

Oh, and ONE more important update. To be able to SELECT which tasks you'd like to bulk update. Right now, you can only do ALL the tasks in a folder, or one of them.

This one is huge too :)

(yes, I know there is a way around this by creating a search for the segment of the tasks you want. But its a pain.)

Thank you!
iPhone

Score: 5 Reference
Sam, I have determined that some of your customer user data is not encrypted when at rest on your servers. I believe ensuring that ALL user data is secure in transit and at rest on your servers, is a critical priority.
ctabat

Thanks for the update. Here's a few comments, not much that isn't in the preceding comments:

1) Along the lines of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", ToodleDo has been very reliable in cross device syncing, but not perfect. Every so often, I will have an old, previously completed task show up on a device as not completed. I have never noticed that tasks have been falsely completed or disappeared entirely. I have used other apps where syncing wasn't reliable and lost data. If there is one thing that will cause me to lose confidence, it would be lost data. So please don't break that, and if you can fix the stray task popping back up as incomplete, that would be appreciated.

2) I agree that the iOS platform could use some updates. Specifically, it would be nice if we could toggle between the inline view and the parent child view of tasks and subtasks like we can in the OSX version. The only way that I know of to do that in iOS is via settings.

3) I've used MS Project for more heavy duty project management in the past, and effectively used MacProject for personal project management. There really doesn't seem to be any reasonably cheap, "PM lite" app out there, so I just use ToodleDo's tasks and subtasks within a folder for personal project management. It works, it's effectively free because I don't have to buy another app and learn it, but some additional functionality would make it more useful. Specifically,
- Add the ability to create dependencies between tasks. Subtasks are linked to tasks, but there is no true "dependency."
- Provide some kind graphic representation of tasks, like a Gantt chart.
- Another user made a comment about a "Project Container." I currently just use a folder for this, but if a "Project container" concept were implemented, that might it even easier to use ToodleDo as "PM lite" software.
- Many users may not care about the "PM lite" functionality, but on the other hand, it may be very valuable to others and help justify a price increase if the functionality were available in the higher priced subscriptions, like subtasks are today.

Thanks again,
Chris

This message was edited Jul 28, 2018.
craigclayton

I would like to see an interface to Prosperworks
Khalid J Hosein

My $0.02 worth of comments:

When I first started using Toodledo, I don't think there was even an Android app produced by Toodledo. The 3rd-party ones weren't perfect, but the best one I found was called Ultimate To-Do List. I'm still using it today. Since then, Toodledo introduced and improved the Android app, but yet it's still not as good as UTL, *except* that UTL only shows Tasks and Notes. So I'm split between using UTL for Tasks and the TD app for Lists, Outlines & Habits.

I would love to see Toodledo improve the Android app. Perhaps acquiring UTL might be an option?

--
I really like the mock-up of the front page. I'd just throw in GTD in there somewhere - it's just a guess, but I bet a good fraction of TD users are also GTDers. I know I've found quite a few great threads in the forums on how to organize TD in a GTD-friendly way.

--
If you want to expand your user base, consider having a simpler version of TD where the 'advanced' features are just a toggle button away. I imagine many users are scared away by the complexity. For example, I've used and like Wunderlist, but I quickly gave up on it due to its lack of sophisticated controls. However, I think it's successful for that very reason.

On a related note, consider adding more videos and articles with suggested setups for different usages. For example, the setups of people running a small business, managing a club, or their household, or everything in their life would all be different. This could be the little extra that gets them over the 'hill of overwhelm' and possibly even upgraded to a paying customer.
jlquinn_2

Posted by johnairy:
Hi Sam,

Toodledo is probably already the best productivity tool out there. And I do tend to agree with the sentiment, "keep it as it is - it works." At least keep all the functionality we're used to having and don't break functionality, if possible. Though, I would like to suggest we see some new features at some point.

As a long-term Toodledo user, I use it from the browser, Android 3rd party app (DGT-GTD), and Linux 3rd party application (TaskUnifier Pro). I would hate to lose the ability to sync with the 3rd party apps I have been using. My tech ability is very high - and I may just be ignorant of how to use some of Toodledo web features, but there seem to be a few shortcomings to me.

I want to echo this sentiment. To me, the existence of an API that allows 3rd party apps to easily integrate with the Toodledo backend is paramount.
For me, this is about being able to ensure the safety of my task list so I can back up my tasks. If this feature were to go away, so would I.

Also, perhaps it would make sense to split the service into backend and frontend from a marketing perspective. I'm reasonably happy with the web GUI and Android app, though I know others are not. This might let you see how much folks value the core system, and how much they value the UI work being done.

Thanks
Jerry Quinn
Sam

Posted: Jul 29, 2018
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've read them all and am documenting some things. We'll have more updates soon on the marketing stuff. After that, we'll be working on product issues and I'll refer back to this.
justinhappy

Posted by Sam:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've read them all and am documenting some things. We'll have more updates soon on the marketing stuff. After that, we'll be working on product issues and I'll refer back to this.

Hi Sam,
I would not mind paying $5 USD more a mth just for encryption of data. In the meantime, I have remove sensitive data out of toodledo as I still am not clear on your data privacy and security policy.
Thanks.
tanichka13

This has probably already been said, but I love toodledo, and the only request I would make is a direct connect to Alexa/Echo. I use the ifttt connection, and it breaks a couple times a year -- forcing me to add my recipe again (after I notice I've lost a bunch of verbal updates).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.