ForumsNewsFeature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans

Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
shfl

Posted: Apr 22, 2019
Score: 3 Reference
Although the market for task managers is saturated, it is strange how poorly executed most of them are. Toodledo was the right mix of price, features and flexibility. As a loyal customer of nine years, it has now reached a point where the features haven't kept pace with the price increases which is why I won't be renewing a subscription. A

While I wish the new owners all the best in developing Toodledo and admit being naive to the business realities of running a task management product, I can't help feel disappointed at how loyal customers are treated.
smon

Posted: Apr 23, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
Thanks. Had the same experience. Was a dedicated user for many (8+ years?) and recommended the service many times. Had two accounts (home/work) and just shut down the Platinum account.

Just in a holding pattern until figure out the next thing.
anders

Posted: May 02, 2019
Score: 3 Reference
Byby Toodledo - have been a user for over 10 years I think, and I really like the ability to email tasks. But not for 60 dollars, when you can get it for 30 on all the best competitiors.

Going to Remember the Milk now, when my subscription ends at toodledo in the middle of may...

Anders
GSP1963

Posted: May 02, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
Alas, I'm headed for the door also. I've been a user of Toodledo for well over 10 years (with a few interruptions). My Silver subscription expires in 10 days and I won't be renewing. The main reason I'm leaving isn't just the price increase: I don't have confidence in the new ownership. A dramatic price increase with little or no enhancements to the software just makes this look like a price gouge. From a technical perspective, I haven't seen any work in the past several months that suggests this team can deliver enhancements that would justify the cost.

Perhaps this was an anomaly and this new team will do great going forward, but I won't be here to find out. You get just one chance to make a first impression, and this impression was terrible. An analogy that comes to mind is a new hire. If that new hire shows up to work 45 minutes late on the first day with an entitled attitude, it's possible he might work out long-term. But it's far more likely this is just an indication of many, many problems to come. Rather than cross my fingers and hope for the best, I'd opt to let him go and start fresh with another new hire who will start the job properly.

Looking at Nirvana, Remember the Milk, and TickTick.

This message was edited May 02, 2019.
Purveyor

Posted: May 03, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
@GSP1963,

I agree with your overall evaluation. The new owners do not inspire confidence.

For a company at the opposite end of the spectrum, take a look at ClickUp. They make a great first impression.

The software is designed mainly for teams but it can be used by a single user who is working on several complex projects and has several areas of responsibility. It is overkill as a basic task list.

I'm trying it but I find it a bit cumbersome. I'm hoping that the upcoming version 2.0 will be easier to use for projects that don't require many layers of organization.

This message was edited May 03, 2019.
RicardoSwe

Received email with subject line "What's New with Toodledo? Toodledo for Business, Paypal, design progress, and more"

I went to the blog post. I tried to login to leave a comment.

Blog will not allow me to login. Says my email does not exist in the system.

My feedback --
I'm concerned that with so much new energy being focused on Toodledo for Business there will be a loss of focus on the core product as used by single users. I've heard that won't be allowed to happen, but the blog focuses on the business end and team usage. Should reassure your core individual users that they are always part of the game plan.

I feel like I'm on a roller coaster with no control. Waiting for the crash.
Duo

Posted by GSP1963:

Looking at Nirvana, Remember the Milk, and TickTick.

Please don't bother with Nirvana. It was effectively abandoned many years ago.

They update the look of the website every now and then and maybe even make a small app change every 12-18 months and they have also just changed the prices from the $39/yr I paid in 2016 when I subscribed to $29/yr and $49/forever now.

However, as I said above, this is basically abandonware and the new $49/forever pricing doesn't fill me with confidence since it is not much more than many others (e.g. RTM) charge for a year.
-J-O-D-

Posted: May 04, 2019
I am still here with a Standard subscription for a next year, but for the time being, Clickup is primary task management tool - some things are a bit difficult, but not impossible. I now have Toodledo for testing purposes and also in case the 2.0 version would not be that great (hard to imagine).

Posted by Purveyor:
@GSP1963,

I agree with your overall evaluation. The new owners do not inspire confidence.

For a company at the opposite end of the spectrum, take a look at ClickUp. They make a great first impression.

The software is designed mainly for teams but it can be used by a single user who is working on several complex projects and has several areas of responsibility. It is overkill as a basic task list.

I'm trying it but I find it a bit cumbersome. I'm hoping that the upcoming version 2.0 will be easier to use for projects that don't require many layers of organization.
GSP1963

Posted: May 05, 2019
@Purveyor and @Duo:

Thanks for your comments. A brief update on my evaluation of todo apps follows. I should mention at the start that I am looking for a todo app for my own individual use -- not for team use -- and I like to use the same todo app for keeping track of both work and personal tasks.

1. Clickup. I took a look at this and found it a bit much for my needs. There was an awful lot going on designed for teams that I had no use for, so it didn't feel like a good fit. A minor example: I dislike seeing that every single task has been "assigned to myself" in every single view, despite the fact that I'm the only user and have turned off the team features. It's a waste of screen space and a distraction. Misgivings aside, I may take another look at some point and see if I have a different impression second time around.

2. Nirvana. Thanks for the info, Duo. I've used Nirvana off and on for a few years. I wasn't aware that it had effectively been abandoned, but you may indeed be right. Little seems to be happening in terms of new functionality over there and the $49 for forever deal is a bit worrisome, now that you bring my attention to it. I like this app, but your comments are making me wary. I don't want to leave one sinking ship, so to speak, only to get on another.

3. Remember the Milk. I've used this for awhile and found it fairly good. I like the active community of users who trade tips on how they use the app. The design is simple and logical. Some things struck me as awkward: I don't like having to click a checkbox on an item in order to access a menu that includes a button to click in order to mark an item as done. Also, completed tasks are not shown below your current list (a design I prefer), but are displayed in a separate view. I also am mildly bothered by the childish moo-cow logo and the inability of a product called "Remember the Milk" to create a good shopping list. Still, those are relatively minor complaints. The RTM development team seems to be active and doing good work and the Pro price of $40/year is on the high side, but not unreasonable.

4. TickTick. TickTick is very good and, at just $28/year, very affordable. The iPhone app is great. Most of the time, however, I prefer to work on the web and I have one major complaint of the web version. This may seem trivial to some, but the designers have made the completed tasks list appear in light-light-gray on white. The completed tasks are so light they are virtually illegible. (I've tried adjusting my monitor's brightness and contrast settings; doesn't help.) I really despise light-light-gray on white designs and I wish designers would exercise more common sense. I find TickTick's illegibility such a problem it may actually be a dealbreaker for me.

UPDATE on 5/5/2019: Researching Jzamoras's question below, I found that TickTick's subtask functionality is more limited than Toodledo, ClickUp, Nirvana, or Remember the Milk.

TLDR: I like Nirvana, but Duo's comments have me concerned. Remember the Milk seems to have the best combination of good features, a not unreasonable price, and developers and owners who are on the ball. Ergo, leaning toward RTM.

This message was edited May 05, 2019.
jzamoras

Posted by GSP1963:
@Purveyor and @Duo:

Thanks for your comments. A brief update on my evaluation of todo apps follows. I should mention at the start that I am looking for a todo app for my own individual use -- not for team use -- and I like to use the same todo app for keeping track of both work and personal tasks.

1. Clickup. I took a look at this and found it a bit much for my needs. There was an awful lot going on designed for teams that I had no use for, so it didn't feel like a good fit. I may take another peek and see if I have a different impression second time around.

2. Nirvana. Thanks for the info, Duo. I've used Nirvana off and on for a few years. I wasn't aware that it had effectively been abandoned, but you may indeed be right. Little seems to be happening in terms of new functionality over there and the $49 for forever deal is a bit worrisome, now that you bring my attention to it. I like this app, but your comments are making me wary. I don't want to leave one sinking ship, so to speak, only to get on another.

3. Remember the Milk. I've used this for awhile and found it fairly good. I like the active community of users who trade tips on how they use the app. The design is simple and logical. Some things struck me as awkward: I don't like having to click a checkbox on an item in order to access a menu that includes a button to click in order to mark an item as done. Also, completed tasks are not shown below your current list (a design I prefer), but are displayed in a separate view. I also am mildly bothered by the childish moo-cow logo and the inability of a product called "Remember the Milk" to create a good shopping list. Still, those are relatively minor complaints. The RTM development team seems to be active and doing good work and the Pro price of $40/year is on the high side, but not unreasonable.

4. TickTick. TickTick is very good and, at just $28/year, very affordable. The iPhone app is great. Most of the time, however, I prefer to work on the web and I have one major complaint of the web version. This may seem trivial to some, but the designers have made the completed tasks list appear in light-light-gray on white. The completed tasks are so light they are virtually illegible. (I've tried adjusting my monitor's brightness and contrast settings; doesn't help.) I really despise light-light-gray on white designs and I wish designers would exercise more common sense. I find TickTick's illegibility such a problem it may actually be a dealbreaker for me.

TLDR: I like Nirvana, but Duo's comments have me concerned. Remember the Milk seems to have the best combination of good features, a not unreasonable price, and developers and owners who are on the ball. Ergo, leaning toward RTM.

can ticktick display indented subtasks like toodledo?
GSP1963

@jzamoras

You wrote: "can ticktick display indented subtasks like toodledo?"

Sort of. TickTick's subtasks aren't as robust as Toodledo's or Remember the Milk's. TickTick's subtasks are more like checklist items that you attach to a task. Each checklist can have a reminder associated with it, but as far as I can see, they don't have the full functionality of the tasks themselves. And I don't see any way that subtasks can be converted directly into tasks. To see the subtasks on TickTick's web version, you have to select the task and view its details in a side panel. On the mobile version, you have to touch on the task, which brings up its details, including the subtasks (which appear in checklist format beneath the task description).

Thanks for the question. I hadn't noticed TickTick's limited subtask design until you asked. This actually nudges me a bit closer to Remember the Milk.

Note to anyone reading this who's looking for a Toodledo replacement: Check the "Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo" board in the Questions section of the forums. That's where you'll find the most helpful information.

This message was edited May 05, 2019.
jzamoras

Posted by GSP1963:
@jzamoras

You wrote: "can ticktick display indented subtasks like toodledo?"

Sort of. TickTick's subtasks aren't as robust as Toodledo's or Remember the Milk's. TickTick's subtasks are more like checklist items that you attach to a task. Each checklist can have a reminder associated with it, but as far as I can see, they don't have the full functionality of the tasks themselves. And I don't see any way that subtasks can be converted directly into tasks. To see the subtasks on TickTick's web version, you have to select the task and view its details in a side panel. On the mobile version, you have to touch on the task, which brings up its details, including the subtasks (which appear in checklist format beneath the task description).

Thanks for the question. I hadn't noticed TickTick's limited subtask design until you asked. This actually nudges me a bit closer to Remember the Milk.

Note to anyone reading this who's looking for a Toodledo replacement: Check the "Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo" board in the Questions section of the forums. That's where you'll find the most helpful information.

you're welcome, I noticed this when I tried it a few months ago
anders

Posted: May 07, 2019
Hmmm,
The one feature that only Toodledo has, and only in the now PLUS subscription, for 60§ (which is some money) mailing in task, and having that task contain the attachment in the task, when using web GUI, but NOT when using the different apps. Coming closest is Remember the Milk, using Dropbox or Google drive, but there the task is indirectly avaliable via Dropbox og google, but NOT via tha app.

Also, history is nice to have, Standard now gives 1 year, while PLUS gives all the years. I do not use Lists, Folders, but Tasks, Context, tags and subtask, and Mail in tasks all the time.

I get Tasks, Context and Tags, and mail in tasks without attachment, and one week of history in Free version, and subtask and 1 year history in Standard version....

So If I move from GOLD to fee version, I can have everything I need execpt subtask, history and attachment. Are those three things worth 60§ a year?

Also, since I feel really bad about the large price rise, and therefore lost most of my goodwill towards Toodledo (been using it as a payed version since 2010), maybe I should just convert to a Free version, and before my subscription stops (on the 19th of may), do the following:
- Download my attachments,
- Create a backup to keep my long history of historical tasks, download it, import it into a free version of Remember The Milk, to have a backup of new and historical tasks.
- and Either start using RTM or:
- Convert to free version of Toodledo, and
-- Still mail in tasks but look up the attachment in the original mail (thus creating one or two more steps when doing a task, but keeping content one less place)..
-- Convert completed tasks, not via checbox in Toodledo, but via giving them a context called "Completed-task". Thus keeping my historical tasks, and keeping them out of my way, since i view tasks by context anyway.
-- Input sub-tasks in the note field of the task (like I allready do in my outlook tasks note field).

Result: Keeping using Toodledo (I like very much Utimate todo list for Android, and Toodledos condensed webGUI (practical, not pretty), suddenly pay nothing at all (how is that for a price rise, dear Toodledo!) - and keeping the abillity to mail in tasks, which one has to pay for with RTM (40$).

By the way, I would have payed 30 / 40 $ for the attibutes mail in with tasks with attachments, subtasks, and history, but not 60$, and especially not when the price doubles so fast.

- Anders

This message was edited May 07, 2019.
Duo

Posted by anders:

[...]

-- Convert completed tasks, not via checbox in Toodledo, but via giving them a context called "Completed-task". Thus keeping my historical tasks, and keeping them out of my way, since i view tasks by context anyway.

[...]

- Anders

You may also be able to add completed tasks to a Google Sheet or a text file in dropbox using IFTTT for easy reference.
anders

Posted by Duo:

You may also be able to add completed tasks to a Google Sheet or a text file in dropbox using IFTTT for easy reference.

Thank you, a very good idea!

I have tried to use IFTTT to automatically save attachments in mails to my dropbox account, but only get it to do that when sending / forwarding the mail with attachments to FTTT.com, and then it is a manual operation every time. The ideal would have been to have a applet simply do that whenever a mail arrives with an attachment. But I have not solved that.

All the best!
Anders

This message was edited May 07, 2019.
Douglas Osvath

Posted: May 08, 2019
Goodbye Toodledo my old trusted friend.

I will not be renewing my subscription.

There is nothing more to say that is not already contained within this forum.

Thanks Toodledo for having kept me organized for a very long time. :)

Doug

This message was edited May 08, 2019.
tbm

I am a Gold subscriber and I just realized my subscription has expired. If I purchase the Plus plan, will my history be restored?
Grant C

Score: 2 Reference
OOps has someone made a mistake? NO!, My subscription just went through the roof.

I can understand the need to increase the returns from a product when the company or the individual has and continues to invest heavily in its development. But to see a company reduce the value proposition and increase its price just defies the belief in and future success of that product.

Usually, this type of action is taken by companies who don't wont to continue development and want to maximise returns from captive or slow to change customers, who believe it's just too hard to make the change (sunk cost/time bias).

I've been a user of Toodledo for many years, some would describe me as an influencer, even an evangelist when it comes to recommending products I use and enjoy. So now I become an unpaid negative advertisement, I do so with a sad heart, over a product I once use to rave about.

Currently, I have a quite extended team of people who use paid and free versions of the product, but this is now changing.

So I hear your mind whisper, what is my new Task/Action/Project tool of choice?

After much comparison (and boy it gets more challenging with so much choice), I've actually decided to spend a little more ( see Toodledo, people will spend if they can recognise and use the value offered) and signed up to Monday.com.

Toodle-oo and farewell old friend.

This message was edited May 09, 2019.
charlesmaranto

Posted: May 13, 2019
I used to pay $14 per year, which is more than I really wanted to pay, but I loved Toodledo. Now they want me to renew and pay $35. I'm done. It's sad to leave, but I'm done with Toodledo.

This message was edited May 13, 2019.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.