ForumsNewsNested subtasks and other updates.

Nested subtasks and other updates.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 28, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
We have just released a number of improvements and bug fixes:

1) Our number one feature request from Pro members: The filter that controls whether subtasks are flattened or nested has been moved out of the filter toolbar and into the bottom toolbar for quicker access, and it has been modified to have an additional state, where subtasks will be nested and toggled open by default. This setting is saved across page reloads on a per view basis. The new options for displaying subtasks are: Flattened, Hidden and Indented. The last option is the new one, that hundreds of you have requested. You asked, and we delivered :)

2) Clicking the "Open Dividers" and "Close Dividers" links in the toolbar will now remember the state across page reloads on a per view basis. So, if you like the dividers to be closed all the time, this will work for you now.

3) There will now be dividers when sorting by star, and task/subtask.

4) The advanced search page has been updated with a few improvements and bug fixes.
a) It is now possible to apply the subtask (flattened, hidden, indented) filter to searches.
b) Search parameters will now be applied to nested subtasks. So, if your search finds a task with subtasks, and you toggle it to reveal the subtasks, the subtasks displayed will be the ones that match the current search. There will be a convenient link to reveal all subtasks, which emulates the old behavior.
c) When starting a new search, the keyboard focus will be automatically placed into the first text box, saving you one mouse click.
d) A saved search that uses certain special characters (&%"') will now work correctly.
npt

Score: 0 Reference
Indented subtasks - rawr!
Allen

Thank you for the indented subtasks! This is going to save me hundreds of clicks each week!
Kevin Dumont

Oh man, I was hoping "nested subtasks" meant you could have subtasks of subtasks of subtasks of... I guess I should formally request this feature. Nonetheless, great release! Keep up the good work!
Anders

Awesome, just awesome!
The task/subtask dividers are nice too.
Proximo

Great news. I have not played with anything yet, but I did freak out when my Toodledo looked different and I could not figure out why.

I ran to the forums from there. Let me go play with it now.
Eric.Montgomery

Couple of questions.

1.) Is this a Pro account thing only?
2.) Does the sub-task map to Outlook? (i.e. if I'm using the sync app will all of it sync correctly or will it get dropped like the Project field currently does since it's a user-defined field?
Proximo

OK,

I played with it and I love it. I did have to change my sorting for Folders view because of the new Divider for Stars.

The nested sub-task look sooooo much better. It's amazing how one small thing can make such a difference.

Now we just need the ability to re-order task with drag and drop. This will prevent me from having to use the "Alphabetical" sort option.

Overall, a very good updated.

Thanks

This message was edited Aug 28, 2009.
Stefan

Great update, but unfortunately it doesn't work all the time. If the option indented is activated sometimes the subtask are not toggled open. This happens to me with Google Chrome and Firefox. Only a browser restart solves the problem.
bartlett.jason

Sweet upgrades. Much easier to work with subtasks when indented.

Thanks for fixing the "&" problem in saved searches.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Eric,

Any updates related to subtasks are for Pro members only, since subtasks are an upgrade. As far as mapping subtasks to Outlook, I don't know the answer to that, since the Outlook sync tool is a third-party tool that we didn't develop and don't use. You'll need to ask the developer here

This message was edited Aug 28, 2009.
Claudio

Great update!

One more reason to renew my Pro subscription.
Stefan

Posted: Aug 29, 2009
Has nobody else the same problems like me? I gonna give you more informations:

If I add a new saved search most of the time subtasks are not shown and just a message is shown:

"Some subtasks are hidden because of your search."

But there are no search rules which should lead to hidden subtasks...above all the subtask are sometimes shown. An important information is, that this problem obviously just happens when I set rules which should just show tasks with the status "Next Action", "Active" oder "Planning".
bko

Hi Toodledo Team,

Love the new indented subtasks! I can't wait for the iPhone client to do this as well!
Anders

Posted by Stefan:
If I add a new saved search most of the time subtasks are not shown and just a message is shown:

"Some subtasks are hidden because of your search."

Do the hidden subtasks have one of those three statuses? The Search view was just updated, and now subtasks are hidden if they do not match the search criteria. Previously, if subtasks were nested, they would all appear as long as their parent task matched the search, but that is no longer the case.

I just tried the search:
Checked off is No
AND
-Status is Active
-OR
-Status is Next Action
-OR
-Status is Planning

The only subtasks that did not show up were ones with no status as expected.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2009.
Stefan

Yes, also the subtask have one of the three statuses.

I took two screenshots within a minute and I didn't change the settings or anything else.

http://www.evernote.com/pub/bauerstefan/toodledo
jashead

i just spent an hour combing through all the settings trying to find my 'previous settings' of the TODO's something that took me a lot of trial and error to set up - for example i can't find my nesting subtasks, there are new buttons -- i am sure these are positive improvements and i will be using them and happy with them -- but i needed just to get to work this morning and i could have used either an email telling me there would be changes made to Toodledo or a message when i opened Toodledo to look for changes and my view would not be the same
Anders

In case anyone else is having trouble understanding the new subtask display features, this is how it worked before, and how it works now.

Old: Subtasks could be flattened or nested in the Filter settings. Then you could toggle them.

The old Flattened view is still called "Flattened"

The old Nested view is now called "Hidden"

The view previously achieved by using "toggle subtasks" from either of those Filter settings is now a third view called "Indented"

@jashead, the best ways to keep up with Toodledo news, and changes like this are:
-Follow this news forum
-Keep up with the news feed (you can subscribe to it via RSS): http://www.toodledo.com/info/news.php
-Follow Toodledo on Twitter
Any changes or updates to the website are always announced in those three places.

@Stefan, I see what you are saying, but I cannot seem to reproduce it. Toodledo will have to look into it. Those subtasks should not be getting hidden.
stephenmford

Thank you very much.

Now that the server migration is over, it looks like development is back in full swing and I no longer feel the web app is being ignored :-)

Stephen
Linden

Super-awesome upgrades! It was a pleasant surprise when I logged in. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.