ForumsQuestionsCreating a new folder on the fly

Creating a new folder on the fly
deleteduser

Posted: Dec 30, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Is it possible to add a 'Create New Folder...' entry in the folders drop-down menu when creating a new task?

Otherwise it's a bit tedious to abandon the current task and go to Folders screen and create a folder there.

Same applies to Contexts.
paul

Posted: Dec 30, 2008
This would be nice.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
Siaharok

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
I agree that this would be useful. I follow the GTD maxim that anything with more than 2 actions is a project (which needs a new folder). It's tedious to have to go to the Folders page to create new folders.

I would suggest an option in the Folder menu for "create new folder", as well as some sort of New Folder hot key.

Thanks.
Claudio

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
Posted by Siaharok:
I follow the GTD maxim that anything with more than 2 actions is a project (which needs a new folder).
Following the GTD maxim, I create Subtasks for simple projects (2 to 5 actions), and create a new Folder for large, more complex projects. (Pro account required for subtasks.)

But, it's still awkward to create the first subtask, just as it's awkward to create a new Folder.
Noethiq

Posted: Apr 23, 2009
+1 on ability to create a new folder directly when creating a task, on iPhone and website. I'm not an absolutist on minimising the number of steps needed for every given action, but this one kind of sticks out as a needed enhancement to make frequent management of a todo list pain-free. There are just too many steps required to move a task to a new folder after its creation.

Also +1 on the request for tag auto-completion. As many others have pointed out, the lack of this is a real inhibitor to using tags at all.

In general, I must say, I really like the app, and the iPhone version is IMO better than the competition.
mmladousa

Posted: Jul 07, 2009
+1 on adding folders on the fly
nathan.nontell

Posted: Jul 14, 2009
It would be a very welcome addition to be able to create new folders (projects) and even contexts on the fly when creating a new task.

I have just finished reading GTD and am interested in finding the correct tools to give it a go. Toodledo seems extremely promising, but I immediately noticed that I couldn't create a task, and then put it into a new folder (project)... You either have to put the folder out there first, or remember to create it and then add the task to it. I'm not ready to call this a deal-breaker, but I would certainly be more inclined to invest in Toodledo as my GTD tool if it sounded like this was fairly high on the developer's todo list.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Some Pro Toodledo users use Folder more like areas of focus, and use parent tasks as projects with subtasks as their actions. I like the idea of creating Folders on the fly, but I thought I would share one of the ways that it can be more effective with a Pro subscription. (Parent tasks can of course be created on the fly, etc.)
nathan.nontell

Thanks, Anders. :)

I've been reading around and have also noticed that to be the case, and probably the way that I will set up my initial system.

Thanks for the prompt reply, though!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.