ForumsQuestionsScript keeps running on search

Script keeps running on search
randall.leblanc

Posted: Jul 29, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
When I click on Search (on the left side menu bar) the system just keeps grinding away. Eventually I get the message that the script is taking too long. I get the same result on both my Windows 7 machine and my XP machine. I'm running IE 8. This just started happening today (7/29/2011). Yesterday was fine.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 29, 2011
I am sorry that this is happening. It seems to be working ok for me on my copy of IE8. Can you please try a few things for me?

1) Try a different web browser as a test and see if that works or has the same problem.
2) Try restarting IE8 and try again
3) Try clicking on other views "Main" or "Folder" and see if those work.
randall.leblanc

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
Praise God, I have the solution.

I think this goes back to a search I did that brought back a lot of records. Ever since then the system thinks this is the default search, and when I click on the search link it goes back into brining back all the records. This time I just kept waiting it out and clicking yes to continue the search. The results finally came back. I did a new seach to something that I knew would bring back a normal number of records. Now all is fine.

BTW - I had already tried all your suggestions, but I was getting the same problem. Maybe there's something you can do to better handle large searches.

I really like Toodledo. I've been using it for several years. I needed something that was low cost, web based, yet with enough features to make it useful. Toodledo was (and I think still is) the ideal fit for me.

Thanks for your reponse.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, if you are trying to display thousands of tasks, it will take some time to download all that information, especially if you have a slow internet connection.
randall.leblanc

Actually the connection is pretty fast, and I don't think it was thousands, but it was a lot. The problem is that once you realize that the search is bringing back too much, there doesn’t appear to be a way of clearing it from the system's assumption that you want that big search to appear when clicking the search link. I just had to wait it out.

What if you had another link in the “View BY:” menu that would force a new search? Someone could use this to reestablish a reasonable search as the “last search,” or just a quick way to do a new search.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You should be able to interrupt the search in progress by clicking on any other search in the sidebar.
randall.leblanc

When I was having the problem it froze everything in IE, including the sidebar. Maybe this was just an anomaly. You can close the issue if you want.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.