ForumsQuestionsList of Tags

List of Tags
DSM_2

Posted: Feb 27, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I'm not really seeing a lot of documentation on Tags in Toodledo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to be place to enter a list of words to associate with the task. However, is it a space-separated for comma-separated list? Also, is there a place on Toodledo to manage your tags -- that is, a place that lists all tags you've used as well as add new ones or delete old one? Naturally, there should be a drill down from a tag to all tasks that have that tag attached to them.

Where's the documentation on Tags?
roddyt

Posted: Feb 28, 2009
Comma separated. A tag doesn't have to be a single word.

Click "Tag" in the View by list (very top of the screen) to manage them.

For documentation, click Help in the left margin and type "tag" in the Search Help box.
DSM_2

Posted: Mar 03, 2009
Posted by roddyt:

Thanks for the info. On this, though, I don't see much in the way of "managing" them. It seems that:

1. You can create tags by adding new one to a task.
2. You cannot delete a tag as there is no interface for that.
3. You cannot get a complete list of tags you've used.
4. You cannot choose a tag from the cloud of tags you have.
5. You can see which tasks have a particular tag.
6. You cannot see which tasks have all of a list of tags.
7. You cannot attach notes to a tag to provide details on it.

Did I miss anything?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
DSM, you are mostly right. We do plan to improve tags, but in the meantime, you can get a list of all tags. Just go to the "Tags" view and all the tags will be listed across the top of the page. You can also see which tasks have a series of tags by using our search page.
DSM_2

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
DSM, you are mostly right. We do plan to improve tags, but in the meantime, you can get a list of all tags. Just go to the "Tags" view and all the tags will be listed across the top of the page. You can also see which tasks have a series of tags by using our search page.

I don't think that's quite right. From the documentation, only the 50 most common tags will be listed across the top of the page. If you are the type to do a lot of tagging and since there is no tag cloud to pick tags from for a new task, you could easily wind up exceeding the 50 (and have many near-duplicates to boot).

I'll grant you that the Search page will allow you to do #6, but, because of #4, it's not very convenient and there is a bit of guessing to specify the tags if you've forgotten how you spelled one or two.

;-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Good point. We'll see what we can do.
roddyt

Posted: Mar 04, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
On my own wishlist is one of DSM's points. I use tags in a manner similar to contexts. As such, I have a fixed set that I refer to. It would be nice to define them the same way as contexts so they can be selected from a pulldown.

Roddy
joberg

Posted: Mar 17, 2009
I agree with the comments above. The current interface for using tags is my biggest frustration with this tool. I use a lot of tags, but am very frustrated by the tag interface. A tag-cloud type interface and dynamic tag lists would go a long way to improving my use of Toodledo.
Anders

Posted: Mar 17, 2009
I have to agree. I was using tags frequently with the iPhone app I used to use which had an editable list of tags you could choose from when creating a task. Now I have essentially stopped using them because it causes too much confusion. For example, I used to tag all my schoolwork by class, but now I have to remember whether I used the tag Bio320, BIOL320, Conservation Genetics, ConGen, bio-320, or well you get the point. If I enter even a slightly different tag, they do not get sorted properly and I may miss something.
davek

Posted: Mar 18, 2009
Another vote for some way of structuring tags. My Toodledo structure is broken down into:

Location (contexts) - work, home, etc
Responsiblity (Folders) - ProjectManagement, Support, TeamLeader, etc
Projects (Tags) - ProjectNames

One idea for a solution may be to have the tags as an auto-complete field which allows me to type the beginning of each Tag, and have the tool auto-complete, based on the existing list of tags. If a new word is typed, then that tag becomes added to the list.

'course that's just my 2 cents.
Ken.Griggs

Posted: Mar 18, 2009
I think the existing implementation of saved searches is as good or better than Google-style open-ended tags. I have a collection of folders (Work, Personal being the primary ones), a bunch of very granular contexts, and then a collection of saved searches that are mostly OR's of the contexts I'm generally interested in at one time. Instead of tags, I'd like a way to assign contexts to folders so that I don't have to look at my Work contexts while picking the context for a Personal task. I'd also like to be able to include one search in another.

For example, I have contexts for all of the stores I go to regularly (and a "Mall" catch-all), and a saved search for "Shopping". When I'm in Home Depot, the "Home Depot" context will tell me what I need there. When I'm planning my shopping trip, the "Shopping" saved search (sorted by context) will let me see where all I need to go. I also have a "Evenings and Weekends" search that includes all the things I might do while not at work, which includes all the store contexts, House contexts (cleaning, laundry, yard work), etc.

Now if only the saved searches were available on the iPhone.
hrynkiw

Posted: Mar 23, 2009
Posted by roddyt:

Question from an entirely new (signed up just an hour or so ago) Toodledo user:

I don't see "Tag" in my "View by" list, and I don't see a field for adding a tag to new entries. Is tagging a Pro option? (Similar options are clearly mentioned in the app and the doc'n.)
hrynkiw

(I feel kind of silly replying to my own query but this is for all the other Toodledo novices who follow me.)

You need to add Tag as one of the fields you use in Account Settings. The default is "Folder, Due-date, Repeat, Priority, Star".
blevine73

I think the general concept of tagging is also that you can have multiple independent tags for each task, which are their own 'entities', e.g., not one long text field with comma seperated lists, but multiple attributes. So instead of editing a list of comma seperated values, you should be able to add and delete tags individually.
saskia.x

Posted: Mar 24, 2009
Just having some kind of autocomplete in tags would be very handy!

I also wonder whether there might be some better way to display by tag other than using the current tabbed interface. When you've got a reasonable number of tags it gets a bit unwieldy (this is also a problem for me in the goals view). I realise that to do so would require an overhaul of the existing interface, so might not be practical, but it would be nice if there was some way to do this.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.