ForumsQuestionsSubtask Default View

Subtask Default View
Vin Thomas

Posted: Mar 26, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I just upgraded about a couple hours ago to pro. I love this service! And subtasks will surely make it even better. But I am having trouble figuring out how to change the way subtasks display. As of now, to get to the view I would like, I have to toggle subtasks, then click the "turn off filters" link to get them to display. Is there any way I can get it to default to this view:

http://trickedoutjes.us/jing/toodledo-subtasks.png

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 27, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
It is not currently possible to have subtasks nested and toggled open by default, but if you click the "Toggle Subtasks" link it will do it for you in 1 click.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Mar 27, 2009
I am still having to click the "turn off filters" after that. Here is a screenshot of what I see when I click "Toggle Subtasks".

http://vintom.com/jing/toodledo-subtasks2.png

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 30, 2009
Your filters will always be applied if you have any turned on. If you click on "Filters" in the toolbar near the top of the page, you can see which filters you have enabled.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Apr 03, 2009
I was using a saved search, so there weren't options to turn the filters off. But I have altered the way I use TD. And my new system is WAY better. So I won't be using saved searches nearly as much.

Thanks...
Jrod

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
Vin:
Could you post more details on your new system? I also was frustrated with having to click "turn off filters" when working with subtasks on a custom search screen. I think I'm going to have to reduce my reliance on custom searches too, but I'd like to hear how you did it.
BGUL

Posted: Apr 09, 2009
Just another vote for making the nesting subtasks the default view (I am evaluating your Pro version because of subtasks) without having to hit Toggle.

Bonus would be making this shortcut key (in fact that's one area where RTM compares favorably to Toodledo - a lot more shortcut keys). Thanks!
Vin Thomas

Posted: Apr 10, 2009
Posted by Jrod:
Vin:
Could you post more details on your new system? I also was frustrated with having to click "turn off filters" when working with subtasks on a custom search screen. I think I'm going to have to reduce my reliance on custom searches too, but I'd like to hear how you did it.

Well, the way I used to use TD was to rely on Saved Searches. While this was good, I found that the subtasks didn't look the way I wanted in the FF extension and I also didn't like to mess with "turning filters off" etc.

Now I use folders for "areas of focus". For me these are:

- fitfx (my day job)
- vintom (my freelance biz)
- personal
- study
- etc...

Then within each of these folders I can create projects as parent tasks. So within a defined folder, I could see something like this:

- Personal (folder)
- - Paint House (parent task)
- - - Choose Paint Colors (sub task)
- - - Buy Paint and Supplies (sub task)
- - - Paint (sub task)
- - Another Project (parent task)
- - - Action Step (sub task)

I like this way because I can fold up the projects that I don't want to see and just concentrate on the ones I am working on. It really works well for me and it is simple. I may try to throw together a quick screencast in the future of how I implement TD.

Hope this makes sense.

Vin Thomas
http://vintom.com

This message was edited Apr 10, 2009.
tedpenner

Posted: Apr 16, 2009
Vin Thomas and Jrod
Both your systems are excellent. I like Vin's "areas of focus". Jrod, you make alot of sense. I'd love to see a screencast from both of you. Toodledo does certainly seem to hold the most promise for GTD but is in no way GTD friendly out-of-the-box. I'm still lost with the use of it for GTD and have done a fair amount of reading on the topic.

My primary issue is that I am heavily tied to Outlook at work. Some time back, toodledo wrote me a response stating that there was a way to sync to Outlook for things I need at work but I can't find a way. Import/Export is great but kills the usefulness of the system if I have to go through all that.
saskia.x

Hey tedpenner, I posted an overview of how I map GTD onto Toodledo today on another thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1825/0/folders-tags-context.html if that's any help to you. It's pretty similar to Vin Thomas's way of organising things. I've found Toodledo to be very compatible with a GTD-based system, and its flexibility means you can customise it easily to your own way of working.

Personally, I've moved away from strict GTD now, but I still use the overall framework and most of the philosophy. The main difference is that I use prioritisation & due dates a lot more than David Allen recommends; I found the heavy reliance on contexts didn't work for me as because most of my tasks end up being @home, and I generally get to choose which context I want to be in at any particular time. Without priorities I had too many decisions to make every time I looked at my todo list!
tedpenner

Thank you, thank you saskia I am on gmail chat from time to time under username tedpenner (evenings and weekends) if you or anyone ever care to about the best system. I like your list. I think I will use the same approach for folders and subtasks. I'll think through this at work tomorrow. I have saved this thread out of hundreds I have looked at. Thanks very much for your explanation. I'm buying a pro account tomorrow to see how it goes.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2009.
michi.maurer

Posted: Apr 30, 2009
Can you please add the functionality to have the subtask toggled customised? It is really nerving to click all the time to open the button....
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
fym

Posted: May 06, 2009
I'm on the pro-trial at this time, which expires in a couple of days. The ability to have subtasks with contexts and goals are key features that I am most interested in, and helps my daily organizing and usage. Is it possible to specifically know if and when it may be possible to have subtask toggled open by default? If this is something that is forthcoming in the near future, I am willing to upgrade to a full pro user and intend to have few of my collaborators join and be active with my toodledo account. Thanks.

This message was edited May 06, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 06, 2009
We can't comment on release dates, but this is probable the most requested feature, so it is very high on the to-do list.
Dennis

Posted: Jun 11, 2009
When creating a subtask, the "new task defaults" don't seem to apply.
Am I missing something here?

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009.
Anders

Posted: Jun 11, 2009
No, that's the way it works. If you want the defaults, you can use the Add Task button, and then drag the task under its parent.
Proximo

Posted: Jun 12, 2009
My GTD System is basically like Vin's. I believe in areas of focus so that I don't rely on my context to split up Work task, Personal Task and Business Task.

I make my Project Task a negative priority to make sure they are listed in the bottom and I set them to Reference. I got the reference idea from TheGriff I think.

I was also using a star for the Project task but the negative priority covers what I wanted. I am actually thinking of using the Star for task that I have started to do some work in but not completed. This prompts me to check the notes and see what the latest progress is.
Tyler

Posted: Jun 21, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
We can't comment on release dates, but this is probable the most requested feature, so it is very high on the to-do list.

Glad to hear this is on the priority list -- I also would prefer to have the option to keep the "toggle subtasks" function default to keeping them open.

The "flat" view is just not a useful view for me, since (like most people, I gather) my projects are set up as tasks with subtasks, so the flat view renders my lists incomprehensible...
Tyler

Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Perhaps this has been brought up in a different thread, but I would also like to add re: subtasks --

It would be very useful to have subtasks inherit the parent task settings. To me, this makes sense, especially for things like tags -- I don't want to have to add new tags for each subtask.

However, I realize that some people have schemes that this would mess up (because, for example, they want to sort/search in a way that pulls up either only parent tasks or subtasks).

A related issue -- really a question.... can you do a search where subtasks are pulled up with their related parent tasks? E.g. if I search for the "Grocery List" task, it will pull up the "Buy Bread" subtask with it?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.