ForumsQuestionsNew subscription prices - what do you think?

New subscription prices - what do you think?
Ummagumma

Posted: Oct 19, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by matanln:
Another old user here (joined 2010).

I dig the price hike, to an extent.
The service is about to enter an intense, costly development phase.

I would have been happy to pay double for my gold subscription.
But 3x is just too much.

That's one possibility...
pawelkaleta

Posted by J.O.D.:
BTW: Two-way Google Calendar sync has been changed to Planned.

Well, it make take a while to see that implemented, looking at the time they need to put a simple link on main Toodledo page to Feature Request page... :)
requested on Oct 6th, changed to "Planned" on the same day, and still not implemented after two weeks. Not mentioning they have already possible feature for that (notification area at the top right corner of the page and they even know how to use it as the link to "Product Principles" thread on forum is there since Oct 10th).

This message was edited Oct 19, 2018.
aleding

Posted by matanln:

The service is about to enter an intense, costly development phase.

So we keep hearing...again, the talkin' part is beyond done...
aleding

Score: 1 Reference
If anyone has examples of services that opted to first grossly increase the cost to the user and then went on to follow through with the quid-pro-quo of adding value, I'd love to hear\read them...

Fire away...

smatics

Score: 4 Reference
I have to say that all of this incompetency with not seeing a way to cancel my recurring Silver subscription, them posting the new prices for new users even though they indicated it would be effective January 1st, changing the feature set in between email announcement batches, and just the arrogant way all of this has suddenly come about - my confidence in this new ownership team to make all this work is gone.

My silver subscription still has a few months left on it. Yesterday, I signed up to Todoist Premium (through Google Play) for about $29 and in about 2 hours I transitioned most of my projects over using their CSV import. Todoist has a 30 day money back policy if you decide to cancel, but so far, the web interface is really good (not quite as functional as ToodleDo, but better in some ways) and the mobile app for Android is leagues ahead of the ToodleDo app.

I'm going to use both systems over the next couple of weeks and see where it goes, and then decide if I will just purge everything from ToodleDo before my subscription ends.

As a long time subscriber I am sad, but I have to say that some of the new functionality I'm seeing in the competition is rather exciting.
gtappend

Posted by smatics:
Yesterday, I signed up to Todoist Premium (through Google Play) for about $29 and in about 2 hours I transitioned most of my projects over using their CSV import. Todoist has a 30 day money back policy if you decide to cancel, but so far, the web interface is really good (not quite as functional as ToodleDo, but better in some ways) and the mobile app for Android is leagues ahead of the ToodleDo app.

As a tip for anyone else considering this, if you sign up for Todoist Free and then click on a premium function, they offer you a 30 day free trial of Premium without asking for any payment details at all (as opposed to signing up, paying, and then using the money back policy if you don't like it).
gtappend

Posted by Kat_2:
Toodledo take note: I am literally about to pay another company money for a product I would PREFER to buy from you - but you've priced me out of your business.

I was in that position yesterday, and then the other company offered me a 30 day free trial of their paid version, no payment details needed, so giving me a nice 30 day transition period which overlaps with my gold subscription. And it's looking good so far...
gtappend

Posted by Kat_2:
I use the context field, but could probably cope without it. The thing that's slightly putting me off 2Do is the lack of a web interface. My other option is then Todoist, but that's more expensive. I do like being able to enter tasks on my computer without having to constantly pick up my phone.

Todoist has a thing called "Labels" giving it a second tier which I am looking at using like the Contexts I have in Toodledo. It's also $29/year, so it costs about the same as the Gold subscription did until now.
swilson_1324076645

Wow! Just spent an hour looking over Todoist. Quite an amazing tool from the look of it. Sad to say it makes Toodledo look a bit clunky and antiquated. Interesting to think I may have just happily gone on another 10 years with Toodledo but now I'm seeing a whole new world of other options out there. In the case of Todoist there also seems to be a major support/communication network with lots of different ideas on how to best use their system. A real eye opener!
frogboy

Posted by smatics:

As a tip for anyone else considering this, if you sign up for Todoist Free and then click on a premium function, they offer you a 30 day free trial of Premium without asking for any payment details at all (as opposed to signing up, paying, and then using the money back policy if you don't like it).

Thanks for that! Nice post
Ummagumma

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by J.O.D.:
Alright, I may found a solution for the time being. I will re-enable my monthly Gold subscription and at the same time I will closely examine TickTick, because it looks both very interesting and has a monthly subscription for $2.79. Smart lists, reminders independent on due date and for subtasks... That could work. And I will still have time to upgrade Toodledo to yearly Gold with old price (fingers crossed), should I decide to drop TickTick. BTW: Two-way Google Calendar sync has been changed to Planned.

TickTick headquarters are in China, a country notorious for industrial espionage.
J.O.D.

Oh, thank you for this insight. So I give Todoist a shot (I remember spending some time with their Premium before and before Toodledo's saved searches, it was the first really flexible todo app).

Posted by Ummagumma:
Posted by J.O.D.:
Alright, I may found a solution for the time being. I will re-enable my monthly Gold subscription and at the same time I will closely examine TickTick, because it looks both very interesting and has a monthly subscription for $2.79. Smart lists, reminders independent on due date and for subtasks... That could work. And I will still have time to upgrade Toodledo to yearly Gold with old price (fingers crossed), should I decide to drop TickTick. BTW: Two-way Google Calendar sync has been changed to Planned.

TickTick headquarters are in China, a country notorious for industrial espionage.
sknipfing

Todoist even has a win 10 app something that Toodledo should be doing as well. I may have to investigate this more in my free time.
J.O.D.

I am now (for testing) transfering my tasks from Toodledo to Todoist via CSV. It requires some work, but it is possible.

smatics

Posted by J.O.D.:
I am now (for testing) transfering my tasks from Toodledo to Todoist via CSV. It requires some work, but it is possible.

Hardest thing I found was dealing with the notes, which I ended up just manually transferring over - everything else mapped very well.

Really liking the way notes are handled (you can have multiple notes per task, which is why it doesn't map cleanly to ToodleDo's CSV), as well as the way attachment can be dragged and dropped onto tasks. The Chrome extension is also very useful for a quick glance at the day or project view.
frogboy

One big downside of ToDoist is no negative priority tasks.

I sometimes want to reference stuff thats goes on (like conferences, or acquaintances birthdays and stuff thats really just for interests sake) but don't need them necessarily in my face.

Anything I want to reference or just want in the background - if it has a date will end in the ToDoist Today list, then overdue. Very annoying. I just want to add stuff and forget about it until I need it.

ToodleDo win.
Robert_HOME

Score: 2 Reference
I have two accounts, one Gold and one Silver.... I can make it work with one Individual and one Free and the total cost will be similar, so the huge % increase is irritating but not a huge deal.

But still it prompts me to check out the options, just in case this goes horribly wrong and TD collapses, or there is something better out there. Need to survey the scene every so often.

However, I am using Michael Linenberger's MYN system. Start Date and hiding future tasks is a critical/must have functionality for MYN and one that Toodledo handles really well. I haven't seen a viable alternative from any of the other task management services I have looked at: ToDoist doesn't appear to have Start date, and 2Do is just App and Mac only, nothing for Windows 10.

Anyway, I have until next Spring to see how things develop at Toodledo, and work out my backup plan B in case Toodledo crashes and burns. Maybe I will be wowed by the new functionality they come up with :-) a new iOS app would be a great start!!

AA

Some good news at least for me: I received an email from Aaron the CEO where he confirmed to me the new "Individual" plan will fully correspond to the current "Gold" plan – that is, they will likely change it so that the "Individual" plan will include full history like the current Gold does, not just 1 year.

Aaron also confirmed they would not be canceling Habits, Lists, or Outlines – just not developing them further, focusing on improving the Tasks functionality instead. That is fine with me. Yes, Habits et al are clunky nowadays, but at least they are there. I spent a couple of hours on Wednesday trying to find a cross-platform habit-tracking app that could replace Toodledo Habits for me, but couldn't really find anything immediately usable. So I'm happy Toodledo Habits are here to stay, even though their implementation is rather crude and is unlikely to get improved in future.

So, in the end, it looks like this would "only" result in doubling the annual price for me, not tripling it. $60 per year instead of $30 per year. That's pretty steep, too, but at least it's not tripling the price anymore. Under these conditions, I'm ready to gnash my teeth and prolong my subscription next summer – we'll see. Although judging by the feedback echoed in these forums, it looks like Todoist might be a serious alternative for Toodledo, if worse comes to worst one day.

Kat_2

Posted by Ummagumma:
What features do you use ? And what OS ? (by your posts I assume iOS for mobile) ?

There’s a number of services and I think I’ve tried most of them, but finding the right one is really dependent on what is it you want from it.

Yes... I've been giving this some thought...

I access my tasks on my phone (iOS 12) and would like to use to my watch (WatchOS 5), BUT I also like to have a web interface, because I use a Windows PC (so Mac clients don't work for me).

Feature-wise, I use the Context field a lot. I also allocate Length and Priority to all my tasks. I like to have a start date and a due date, and I like being able to sort by due date AND context AND priority. I don't use Habits or any of the other features, really. I tried Habits for a while, and didn't find it particularly beneficial. I like to be able to access and search my completed tasks, for those times when you need to remember what you did and, critically, when. It seems like a small thing but I like having "due today" "due tomorrow" and "due in the next week" on the same page and visible, BUT clearly delineated so that I can actually clear today's list.

What's nagging at me right now is that ToDoist has a web interface, but it's more expensive and can't import from Toodledo. On the other hand 2Do is cheaper and can import, BUT no web interface.

Posted by gtappend:
:
Todoist has a thing called "Labels" giving it a second tier which I am looking at using like the Contexts I have in Toodledo. It's also $29/year, so it costs about the same as the Gold subscription did until now.

Thing is, I currently have Toodledo silver subscription. So ToDoist premium would be a price hike, for me. It might be worth it... not sure yet.

Ummagumma

Posted by Kat_2:
Posted by Ummagumma:
What features do you use ? And what OS ? (by your posts I assume iOS for mobile) ?

There’s a number of services and I think I’ve tried most of them, but finding the right one is really dependent on what is it you want from it.

Yes... I've been giving this some thought...

I access my tasks on my phone (iOS 12) and would like to use to my watch (WatchOS 5), BUT I also like to have a web interface, because I use a Windows PC (so Mac clients don't work for me).

Feature-wise, I use the Context field a lot. I also allocate Length and Priority to all my tasks. I like to have a start date and a due date, and I like being able to sort by due date AND context AND priority. I don't use Habits or any of the other features, really. I tried Habits for a while, and didn't find it particularly beneficial. I like to be able to access and search my completed tasks, for those times when you need to remember what you did and, critically, when. It seems like a small thing but I like having "due today" "due tomorrow" and "due in the next week" on the same page and visible, BUT clearly delineated so that I can actually clear today's list.

What's nagging at me right now is that ToDoist has a web interface, but it's more expensive and can't import from Toodledo. On the other hand 2Do is cheaper and can import, BUT no web interface.

Posted by gtappend:
:

Thing is, I currently have Toodledo silver subscription. So ToDoist premium would be a price hike, for me. It might be worth it... not sure yet.

I see. I can’t think of a system that uses Length. But then I never had any use for this feature, so probably didn’t pay attention.

Context can easily be replaced by tags or lists.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.